LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 2015 Wind whistling

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-16, 02:58 PM
Mark606
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX570 2015 Wind whistling

I've got a brand new lexus lx570 out of the dealership and everything looks perfectly fine except when I go for a long drive on the highway. It's very well known for a car like the lx570 or the landcruiser to have a noticeable wind noise due to its poor aerodynamics capabilities , but it's acceptable in most occasions.

There's a wind whistling noise and it can be only heard while hopping on the driver's seat ,( passengers cannot hear the sound for some reason) , and it sounds like it's coming from the front while there are no noticeable sound heard from the side windows nor the side view mirrors. I've had a very difficult time with the dealership , since the dealerships here in the middle don't know how to deal with the vast majority of problems , due to the lack of proper knowledge in this field . I have requested to change the front windshield with its rubbers , they checked the moonroof , side windows, but that didn't change anything. No sounds are heard from the outside or even from the engine. The whistling sound is not that loud, but it's irretating specially when the radio is turned off.

Any recommendations ?
Old 07-10-16, 05:41 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have had two LX's, and fixed similar problems on both by moving the cross piece on the luggage rack on the roof.
Old 07-10-16, 07:35 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard any wind whistling, probably because my radio always blows techno at high volumes
Old 07-10-16, 08:45 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do hear wind whistle at freeway speed and I don't have any luggage rack on the roof. I still don't where it come from.
Old 07-10-16, 10:22 PM
Mark606
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Have had two LX's, and fixed similar problems on both by moving the cross piece on the luggage rack on the roof.
I've driven my friend's lx with its luggage rack on top , and there were no whistling noise what so ever. In addition to that , I asked the dealership wo remove it to take it for a test drive and the same issue is still in there
Old 07-10-16, 10:23 PM
Mark606
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yakim
I've never heard any wind whistling, probably because my radio always blows techno at high volumes
Have fun buddy lol
Old 07-10-16, 10:25 PM
Mark606
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocT
I do hear wind whistle at freeway speed and I don't have any luggage rack on the roof. I still don't where it come from.
I've been scraching my head for months trying to find a solution for this kind of an issue , I hope that someone can post a solution to this dilemma
Old 07-11-16, 04:00 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

No whistling noise from any my LX units including the 2016.
Old 07-11-16, 08:05 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark606
I've been scraching my head for months trying to find a solution for this kind of an issue , I hope that someone can post a solution to this dilemma
Mine does not happen all the time. I happen to hear it when maybe it is windy outside and I think the gusty wind passes through the SUV deal to it aerodynamic and the size of it. I am guessing.
Old 07-11-16, 12:25 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You can try to put a tiny strip of silicone next to the rubber seal around windshield to stop the rubber piece from being blown up at high speed. A Homedepot silicone tube is all you need. Make sure to wipe the silicone down so that its almost invisible.
Old 07-11-16, 12:37 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Post a video so we can see if it sounds normal.
Old 07-12-16, 07:55 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

??? The area where windshield meets the roof??? Tape the entire top area with painters tape and see if this resolves the problem. I had this before.

I've got a brand new lexus lx570 out of the dealership and everything looks perfectly fine except when I go for a long drive on the highway. It's very well known for a car like the lx570 or the landcruiser to have a noticeable wind noise due to its poor aerodynamics capabilities , but it's acceptable in most occasions.

There's a wind whistling noise and it can be only heard while hopping on the driver's seat ,( passengers cannot hear the sound for some reason) , and it sounds like it's coming from the front while there are no noticeable sound heard from the side windows nor the side view mirrors. I've had a very difficult time with the dealership , since the dealerships here in the middle don't know how to deal with the vast majority of problems , due to the lack of proper knowledge in this field . I have requested to change the front windshield with its rubbers , they checked the moonroof , side windows, but that didn't change anything. No sounds are heard from the outside or even from the engine. The whistling sound is not that loud, but it's irretating specially when the radio is turned off.

Any recommendations ?
Old 11-24-17, 06:58 AM
barathank
Driver School Candidate

I went on a 1000 miles trip recently in my 2013 LX and this whistle or flute noise is sometimes annoying. Based on my observations this is when it happens
  1. When we are going opposite to the wind gusts (mountain drive in Penn Turnpike)
  2. Happens only when going above 65 MPH sometimes at 75MPH, but never happens below 65 MPH.
  3. This is evident when the wind gusts is from sideways (multi-directional).
I am doubting this could be due to installing the non-Lexus Windshield wiper. Taking to Lexus dealership for my 55K miles service tomorrow and will ask them to replace it with Lexus branded Wiper and see if this goes away.

On a positive note I have a car that can play an instrument
Old 11-24-17, 04:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

It’s the cross bars on the luggage rack move them to the back problem solved
Old 11-24-17, 04:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by barathank
I am doubting this could be due to installing the non-Lexus Windshield wiper. Taking to Lexus dealership for my 55K miles service tomorrow and will ask them to replace it with Lexus branded Wiper and see if this goes away.
I'd be astounded if it goes away. No whistling with oem wipers on my 200 and that includes oem wipers, Michelin, and Bosch Icons which I finally settled on. I'd be looking at the luggage rack and general windshield installation. Does your truck have its original windshield?

Quick Reply: LX570 2015 Wind whistling