LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering LX. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 11:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Once you own/drive an LX it would be hard to go to a GX.

I would call the LX power adequate over the dependability of a RR.

It is your money and you should spend it the way you want.
Old 07-01-16, 07:39 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I would look at other options I had my heart set on a RR supercharged but after the horror stories and dependability issues I skipped it and bought a new LX this week. The LX is nice and dependable but beyond that it's just a heavy brick that does nothing special at this point I would say is great. If you can spend the 100k there are numerous options however seems like most have issues hence my buying the Lx. I have owned several Lx's over the years and this one is improved but I am not sure after driving it a week I would buy it again. Not sure this helps but I enjoy my wife's RX as much if not more except for the room!
Old 07-02-16, 01:16 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JDJackson
Chocolate, I agree that they are better, but for that amount of cash, you would expect them to make you a latte, or at least buttered popcorn, as you watch your favorite movie. Crazy spendy for what you get, IMHO.
If the 2,000 bought a machine that made movie style, buttered popcorn, in your vehicle during your commute, then yes I would say it would be justified.
Old 07-02-16, 09:41 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jalnsx
I would look at other options I had my heart set on a RR supercharged but after the horror stories and dependability issues I skipped it and bought a new LX this week. The LX is nice and dependable but beyond that it's just a heavy brick that does nothing special at this point I would say is great. If you can spend the 100k there are numerous options however seems like most have issues hence my buying the Lx. I have owned several Lx's over the years and this one is improved but I am not sure after driving it a week I would buy it again. Not sure this helps but I enjoy my wife's RX as much if not more except for the room!

I have been in the same boat as you. This time around, I've narrowed down my choices to a RR, Porsche Cayenne GTS and LX 570. Due to a bad experience with a LR and low tolerance for poor workmanship/service it was a no-go. Cayenne was very exciting, but high maintenance costs and ugly rear were the turn-offs. LX 570 is very good with steering much improved compared to the previous iterations. Other than fussy transmission, reliability and great service made it a winner. It doesn't make your blood boil, yet seems to me to be the best solution for now.
Old 07-02-16, 07:29 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yakim
I have been in the same boat as you. This time around, I've narrowed down my choices to a RR, Porsche Cayenne GTS and LX 570. Due to a bad experience with a LR and low tolerance for poor workmanship/service it was a no-go. Cayenne was very exciting, but high maintenance costs and ugly rear were the turn-offs. LX 570 is very good with steering much improved compared to the previous iterations. Other than fussy transmission, reliability and great service made it a winner. It doesn't make your blood boil, yet seems to me to be the best solution for now.
I agree the LX is the best all around I had a Cayenne Turbo and it was fun and a great vehicle. However, when it came time to sell that was bad and the loss was significant which makes me never even think of one again. We just drove the LX on a 5 hour trip and it is a great smooth vehicle but just not exciting. It will have to work because I am just scared of the RR and we all know the Lexus brand is great!
Old 07-02-16, 08:14 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jalnsx
I agree the LX is the best all around I had a Cayenne Turbo and it was fun and a great vehicle. However, when it came time to sell that was bad and the loss was significant which makes me never even think of one again. We just drove the LX on a 5 hour trip and it is a great smooth vehicle but just not exciting. It will have to work because I am just scared of the RR and we all know the Lexus brand is great!

Happy 4th of July and best wishes!
Enjoy what is, and the future will take care of itself.

Last edited by yakim; 07-02-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 04:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

has anyone here considered the cadillac escalade? just wondering. looks nice, but that may be about all
Old 07-04-16, 05:07 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
has anyone here considered the cadillac escalade? just wondering. looks nice, but that may be about all

The vehicle that brings suburbia to the FSA. IMO garish styling. I'd expect reliability inferior to the 200 series, but OK given it's GM.

So, nowhere near the reliability of the LX, and definitely a loser if you look at downstream Blue Book.
Old 07-05-16, 03:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun
They are pretty nice when you buy it but after a year or so the rattles start. Dependability is not that good. I think they are cheaper than an LX so there is something good.
Old 07-07-16, 10:29 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Caddy...

For MY 2015, the Escalade offered way more useful technology than the LX (LX was way, way behind). Models built after the third (or fourth) month of production also had an 8-speed tranny. Power (on paper) is better, and fuel economy is also better (in reality). Interior has some nice stitching and details, though some other touches and materials can be lacking (and some features, IMHO, look plain tacky).

Enter the 2016 LX, 8-speed tranny, technology, and interior design are now non-issues.

In terms of styling, ride quality, smoothness and perceived power (despite the difference on paper), it always went to the LX (IMHO) and it does much more so now with the 2016 updates. The ride of the Escalade, while nice, is harsher; 22" wheels arguably negate the benefits of the cool magnetic suspension (which in itself could probably use less stiffness).

Depreciation, reliability, etc. - no-brainers in favor of the LX. My rental Escalade with 7k miles already had some noises... Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the 1k miles I had it for, but it's not for me, especially after Lexus finally woke up and added much of what was missing on the LX.
Old 07-07-16, 01:50 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has any one experienced with Lincoln Navigator?
Old 07-07-16, 04:44 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

With Escalade or Navigator, you would not be able to get to places like this. It's a big difference :-)

Old 07-07-16, 06:04 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DocT
A very superficial one: its ugly and an epitome of bad taste. I never met a person whom I liked who drove anythang Lincl'n/Mercury/Pontiac Aztec

Last edited by yakim; 07-07-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 02:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DocT
Long ago I bought a new one and it was junk. After 30,000 miles it had loose parts making noise when you hit any bump.

The rear end is still one of the ugliest I have ever seen. It is not easy to make the rear of a large SUV look sporty but the Navigator what hit with a ugly stick for sure.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 07-08-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
With Escalade or Navigator, you would not be able to get to places like this. It's a big difference :-)

All very true, but the Escalade front end looks so much better

Quick Reply: Considering LX. Any recommendations?