LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering LX. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 10:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Or this place would be a problem for an Escalade or Navigator.............. .

We drove to the Continental Divide in CO

A trip we took with the family recently this summer to CO. Drove all the way up to almost 12K feet !!! Initially many other cars and SUV and Pickups followed us. But in the end only a dirt motorcycle follow through to the top. We were the first in the pack and we really kicked up a lot of dirt/dust. People started to drop back and made U turn and headed back down.

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
With Escalade or Navigator, you would not be able to get to places like this. It's a big difference :-)

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-09-16 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 01:21 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Or this place would be a problem for an Escalade or Navigator.............. .

We drove to the Continental Divide in CO

A trip we took with the family recently this summer to CO. Drove all the way up to almost 12K feet !!! Initially many other cars and SUV and Pickups followed us. But in the end only a dirt motorcycle follow through to the top. We were the first in the pack and we really kicked up a lot of dirt/dust. People started to drop back and made U turn and headed back down.
Good job! I am always happy to see when LX is used as it was designed. Not going somewhere to mall parking lots but wheeling it on dirt roads in the mountains or deserts.
When you purchase LX, you actually purchase 2 vehicles in one. A comfortable SUV for everyday use and also a quite capable vehicle for easy/medium 4x4 trails. Great for family trips.
From the day when I purchased my LX I keep my highly modified Jeep Wrangler Rubicon much more time in a garage. LX can get to many places where I took my Jeep before and believe me, you can get there much more comfortable. It's like a difference between economy vs first class on a long-haul international flight :-)
Old 07-10-16, 02:04 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, very much so. I travel a lot via air. I am on top tier on AA (EP). I buy coach and get upgraded (almost every time) to first class. With long hauls, it makes a BIG difference not only during flight, but also pre and post flight at the TSA and then at the baggage area!!!!!

A few years back before we traded in our 13+ years old (with over 280K miles on the odo) LX470 for our current 2013 LX570, we took it out with 5 adults and 3 teenagers from SoCal to the Grand Canyon Skywalk. As we got closer to the Grand Canyon Skywalk, we got further away from civilization and missed a turn off. We ended up at some American Indians souvenir shop. We were way too far off course via "blacktop paved roads". So on the map the souvenir shop people told us a short cut (essentially a straight line via a DIRT ROAD). They said it is not advisable if we were not in some kind of 4X4. Since were were, we went ahead. It was a blast!!! We literally drove for about a couple of hours. The LX470 handled it like a champ especially in 120F hot temperature. There was an Infinity FX45 behind us and decided to turn back around (I think I was kicking up way too much dirt and dust after I had passed them going full speed at around 50 mph+). Also some parts the pot holes were pretty deep and I think the Infinity FX had bottomed out. I had no hesitation at the time to take the 13 + year old LX470 with 280K + miles out for a trip like that (I had made sure all maintenance was up to date).

Good job! I am always happy to see when LX is used as it was designed. Not going somewhere to mall parking lots but wheeling it on dirt roads in the mountains or deserts.
When you purchase LX, you actually purchase 2 vehicles in one. A comfortable SUV for everyday use and also a quite capable vehicle for easy/medium 4x4 trails. Great for family trips.
From the day when I purchased my LX I keep my highly modified Jeep Wrangler Rubicon much more time in a garage. LX can get to many places where I took my Jeep before and believe me, you can get there much more comfortable. It's like a difference between economy vs first class on a long-haul international flight :-)
Old 07-10-16, 04:20 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
All very true, but the Escalade front end looks so much better
"Looks so much better" is an opinion...I agree. But in my opinion, the chrome door handles and fake fender vents don't do it for me.

What are not opinions are resale value, built-in reliability, and the capability to get to places where the Escalade would get stuck.

I'll pick "looks" last.
Old 07-10-16, 07:41 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Escalade has the stigma of a blingy, hastily put-together artifact for the masses. That said, both Escalade and LX, and RR are mall parking lot crawlers by intent and design, not meant to be driven in the dunes, unless desert is your habitat
Old 07-10-16, 11:24 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by yakim
That said, both Escalade and LX, and RR are mall parking lot crawlers by intent and design, not meant to be driven in the dunes, unless desert is your habitat
No way! LX was designed as an extremely off-road capable SUV. The difference between LX and Land Cruiser is just the stupid front bumper, better leather seats and some extra features. Land Cruiser is an off road legend and the current version is still one of the most off road capable vehicle in the world.
I would never purchase LX if I would not need its off road capability. Purchasing a body-on-frame SUV with a solid rear axle, low gear transfer case etc. as a mall crawler does not make any sense.
Old 07-11-16, 07:39 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ClaytonW,

I do understand where LX comes from and its heritage. I also appreciate its potential and all-weather capabilities. No doubt, there always will be off-road enthusiasts, no matter what vehicle. Yet, it wouldn't be an overstatement to say that an overwhelming majority of luxury SUV buyers, LX/RR/Escalade including, acquire them for figuratively speaking, "mall parking lot crawling", not roughing it in the wilderness
Old 07-11-16, 02:08 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Originally Posted by yakim
ClaytonW,

I do understand where LX comes from and its heritage. I also appreciate its potential and all-weather capabilities. No doubt, there always will be off-road enthusiasts, no matter what vehicle. Yet, it wouldn't be an overstatement to say that an overwhelming majority of luxury SUV buyers, LX/RR/Escalade including, acquire them for figuratively speaking, "mall parking lot crawling", not roughing it in the wilderness
You are right. Lexus would need an SUV similar to Audi Q7 (maybe slightly bigger). It would be more suitable for most of LX's customers. It would have a better mpg, it would be faster and much better on the highway. I agree that maybe 95% of LX owners do not need its offroad or towing capabilities. Then Land Cruiser could offer all the features which are now available for LX only (here in the USA).
Old 07-11-16, 11:44 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Content is so dry on the LX board that we are debating the status of the LX as a mall cruiser.

This is the most boring forum on the site and I love it. That's a good thing.
Old 07-12-16, 12:03 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I guess Lexus corporate had the notion that if you wanted a SUV that drove more like a car, then go buy the RX. Oh, did you say you wanted three rows also? Well, then you will need to go to our sister company and buy a Toyota Highlander instead! !

Hopefully Lexus corporate will listen and expand the Lexus lineup or at least continue to improve the LX.

You are right. Lexus would need an SUV similar to Audi Q7 (maybe slightly bigger). It would be more suitable for most of LX's customers. It would have a better mpg, it would be faster and much better on the highway. I agree that maybe 95% of LX owners do not need its offroad or towing capabilities. Then Land Cruiser could offer all the features which are now available for LX only (here in the USA).
Old 07-12-16, 11:22 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I guess Lexus corporate had the notion that if you wanted a SUV that drove more like a car, then go buy the RX. Oh, did you say you wanted three rows also? Well, then you will need to go to our sister company and buy a Toyota Highlander instead! !

Hopefully Lexus corporate will listen and expand the Lexus lineup or at least continue to improve the LX.
Three row RX coming to fill that gap in the lineup:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/24/l...row-confirmed/
Old 07-13-16, 10:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Can't wait to see it.

A friend of mine got rear ended badly and not a scatch on her in her 1 year old Infiniti QX60 with 3 rows of seats. The insurance totaled it. She liked he new look on the RX, but wanted 3 rows. So it was a no go for her. She ended up with another QX60.

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Three row RX coming to fill that gap in the lineup:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/24/l...row-confirmed/