LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

'16 LX570 backup camera issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 10:50 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Default '16 LX570 backup camera issue

It looks that there is a problem with the backup camera on my '16 LX570. When I compare it to backup cameras on my other Toyota/Lexus cars, it's much worse. Just a light rain makes the picture almost useless. It's much better for example on my LS460 or even Sequoia. The best picture I can get is on my daughter's Toyota Venza.
Do you have similar problems?
Old 05-08-16, 05:16 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
It looks that there is a problem with the backup camera on my '16 LX570. When I compare it to backup cameras on my other Toyota/Lexus cars, it's much worse. Just a light rain makes the picture almost useless. It's much better for example on my LS460 or even Sequoia. The best picture I can get is on my daughter's Toyota Venza.
Do you have similar problems?
No, yours is probably malfunctioning
Old 05-08-16, 07:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Sounds to me like moisture from rain in accumulated on the face of the lens on the rear camera. Sometimes I get get a drop on mine and it can distort but does not make it "useless".
Old 05-08-16, 08:13 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Sounds to me like moisture from rain in accumulated on the face of the lens on the rear camera. Sometimes I get get a drop on mine and it can distort but does not make it "useless".
I'd try a little saliva on a kleenex.
Old 05-08-16, 09:25 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Apply water repellent to the lens might resolve the problem.
Old 05-08-16, 10:12 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Apply water repellent to the lens might resolve the problem.
Thank you, it's a good idea, I will try it.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 05-10-16, 04:16 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an fyi - this was discussed on the RX board a while ago. I can confirm with my GX that Lexus cheapened up the backup camera sometime after 2012. My 2012 GX had a perfect image day or night, it was crystal clear. My 2015 is horrible, very grainy image and almost useless at night. I have used a glass sealer on the lens but it did not help. Others have reported this on the RX board and it was discussed in detail. If course dealer says its fine and same as all the others. Shame on Lexus....
Old 05-10-16, 04:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Just an fyi - this was discussed on the RX board a while ago. I can confirm with my GX that Lexus cheapened up the backup camera sometime after 2012. My 2012 GX had a perfect image day or night, it was crystal clear. My 2015 is horrible, very grainy image and almost useless at night. I have used a glass sealer on the lens but it did not help. Others have reported this on the RX board and it was discussed in detail. If course dealer says its fine and same as all the others. Shame on Lexus....
I do not understand how Lexus "cheapened" the backup camera. Mine is as good if not better than any previous Lexus backup camera.
Old 05-10-16, 08:49 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

I do not understand how Lexus "cheapened" the backup camera. Mine is as good if not better than any previous Lexus backup camera.
I don't either...most I've done is wiped snow from the lens.

I'd suggest looking at an online discount parts website and simply check part numbers for older and newer cameras.

Simple.
Old 05-10-16, 12:57 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
I don't either...most I've done is wiped snow from the lens.

I'd suggest looking at an online discount parts website and simply check part numbers for older and newer cameras.

Simple.
I would love to wipe snow off my backup camera lens! I miss the mountains so much and find Florida flat as a pancake!

My cat, Wigger, wants to know what your cats name is.
Old 05-10-16, 02:27 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I would love to wipe snow off my backup camera lens! I miss the mountains so much and find Florida flat as a pancake!

My cat, Wigger, wants to know what your cats name is.
I've been to Florida, it definitely is flat.

The avatar is "Nadia"...she's a Russian Blue that showed up 2 years ago last November at wife's best friend's hair cutting place in downtown Boise. She lost half her lives dodging traffic. She now on a ranch with half a dozen others doing their standard mouse-jihad thing in the springtime.
Old 05-11-16, 01:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
I've been to Florida, it definitely is flat.

The avatar is "Nadia"...she's a Russian Blue that showed up 2 years ago last November at wife's best friend's hair cutting place in downtown Boise. She lost half her lives dodging traffic. She now on a ranch with half a dozen others doing their standard mouse-jihad thing in the springtime.
Good for her!
Old 05-11-16, 04:53 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One thought that comes to mind is that on their flagship vehicles (LS and LX) they still use a good camera but on the other Lexus lines it was changed to save money. Very noticeable on mine, even the wife noticed and she does not usually notice stuff like that. On the last car rental I had the backup camera was perfectly clear day and night (and it was a cheap rental). If its not the camera then maybe the software and light sensor are programmed different? I have given up trying to fix it, its leased so it will not be my problem soon enough.
Old 05-11-16, 03:07 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
One thought that comes to mind is that on their flagship vehicles (LS and LX) they still use a good camera but on the other Lexus lines it was changed to save money. Very noticeable on mine, even the wife noticed and she does not usually notice stuff like that. On the last car rental I had the backup camera was perfectly clear day and night (and it was a cheap rental). If its not the camera then maybe the software and light sensor are programmed different? I have given up trying to fix it, its leased so it will not be my problem soon enough.
It has to be the module. They also lowered the base price considerably on the GX in particular from 2012 to 2015.

Last edited by Chocolate; 05-11-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 10:41 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Backup camera on my 11 yr. old GX470 is still as good/clear as ever.

Quick Reply: '16 LX570 backup camera issue