LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2016 LX 570 Transmission hesitation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 03:51 PM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 LX 570 Transmission hesitation.

I just purchased a brand new 2016 LX 570 two weeks ago. It is a beautiful car and I love all the new technology but I am concerned about the tramsmission gear change between 2nd and 3rd. The car hesitates and vibrates when shifting between second and third gear then levels out. It a little slow and scary pulling out in traffic without just punching it. This is my first LX and just found out that the LX transmission went from 6 speed to 8 on the 2016 model. I called the dealership and they said the car is very new and they have not gotten any reports from Lexus about the transmission hesitating. Taking it in next week for service and have it checked out. Has any one on the forum noticed anything with tranny in their 2016 LX or 2016 Land Cruiser?
The following users liked this post:
yasser010 (10-24-19)
Old 04-29-16, 06:29 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

The only problem I have with my '16 LX570 is that it has problems on very steep uphills - the shifting is far from smooth. On these uphills it also very often changes gears - cannot find the right one. It's better to switch to manual mode. It's interesting that my LS 460 (also with 8 speed transmission) does not have any problems on such roads.

Also on long steep mountain downhills the adaptive cruise control sometimes prefer to use breaks instead of shifting down (probably mpg reasons). The system than overheats. Again, it does not happen on my LS which use lower gears.
Old 04-29-16, 09:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasperw1
I just purchased a brand new 2016 LX 570 two weeks ago. It is a beautiful car and I love all the new technology but I am concerned about the tramsmission gear change between 2nd and 3rd. The car hesitates and vibrates when shifting between second and third gear then levels out. It a little slow and scary pulling out in traffic without just punching it. This is my first LX and just found out that the LX transmission went from 6 speed to 8 on the 2016 model. I called the dealership and they said the car is very new and they have not gotten any reports from Lexus about the transmission hesitating. Taking it in next week for service and have it checked out. Has any one on the forum noticed anything with tranny in their 2016 LX or 2016 Land Cruiser?
Check 2016 8-speed trans comments...

hth

Steve
Old 04-30-16, 06:33 AM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Steve for the link on the 8 speed transmission. It's nice to know that what I am feeling with this new LX is not all in my head. BTW...The Lexus dealership where I purchased the new LX from had their head technician call me yesterday concerning the lag and hesitation. He told me that they have only gotten in three 2016 LX 570 and I bought one of them. He has not had the opportunity to really check one out so I still need to take it to my closest Lexus dealership and start a product report on my concerns with the car. I am now second guessing and beating myself up for dropping almost 100k on a car with this kind of issue.
Old 05-02-16, 05:01 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that you've mentioned it, there is indeed some actual hesitation that I've noticed too: nothing too dramatic, but definitely noticeable.
Old 05-02-16, 12:47 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you using Eco mode? I notice some significant hesitation in that mode when taking off from a start but I think it is more due to throttle mapping that shifting. If I use any other mode I do not notice it. Of course it is slower from a dead start than my other cars...but it takes a little to get 6000 lbs moving.
Old 05-02-16, 03:17 PM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

I am using the Normal Mode...Lexus service department asked me the same question. I know that this is a big and heavy vehicle but it's not about a quick start for me. The car starts to vibrate and hesitate after first gear...kind of like it's searching for a gear and then it finds one. I am not a heavy footed driver but the lag is a little terrifying when pulling out into traffic. I should not feel a car of this size rattling/vibrating in the steering wheel especially a brand new one.
Old 05-02-16, 08:38 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No hesitation with my 2016 Lexus

I've had my 2016 Lexus since November. I've never noticed any hesitation--- with very fast acceleration from all speeds. A little slower when I am in Eco Mode, and faster responsiveness in Sport and Sport Plus. When in Normal mode, I can accelerate quickly when merging, shifting lanes,etc. without hesitation. I rate the acceleration as better than with my LX 470, and just as responsive and slightly slower versus my Lexus LS 430
Old 05-02-16, 08:44 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lane Departure Alert At Work?

I am using the Normal Mode...Lexus service department asked me the same question. I know that this is a big and heavy vehicle but it's not about a quick start for me. The car starts to vibrate and hesitate after first gear...kind of like it's searching for a gear and then it finds one. I am not a heavy footed driver but the lag is a little terrifying when pulling out into traffic. I should not feel a car of this size rattling/vibrating in the steering wheel especially a brand new one.
Is there any possibility that you feeling the Lane Departure Alert causing your steering wheel to vibrate as a warning because you are crossing lane lines on the road? My steering wheel does that frequently when crossing lane lines and entrance lines with the LDA turned on and no turn signal being used. This is the only time I feel any vibration at any speed in my 2016 LX 570. I can quickly accelerate when pulling out into traffic. It's my daily driver and I am pulling out onto the freeway going from 25 mph to. 75 mph very quickly several times a day.
Old 05-03-16, 05:24 AM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

I wish the Lane Departure was the cause then I wouldn't feel so stressed because I could turn it off...lol. The issue happens only when the car begins from a dead stop up until about 30 mph. Yesterday I let a buddy drive my car on the way to the golf course and I did not tell him about the hesitation and lag between the first few gears. His wife wants one so I did not want to be negative or influence him in any way. After a few stop signs he said this transmission feels weird and he thought the engine was shutting off. He said it reminded him of Mercedes start/stop feature. Highway driving the car rides like a dream but stop and go is a problem. My Lexus service appointment is tomorrow and hope to have some answers.
Old 05-03-16, 08:31 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish the Lane Departure was the cause then I wouldn't feel so stressed because I could turn it off...lol. The issue happens only when the car begins from a dead stop up until about 30 mph. Yesterday I let a buddy drive my car on the way to the golf course and I did not tell him about the hesitation and lag between the first few gears. His wife wants one so I did not want to be negative or influence him in any way. After a few stop signs he said this transmission feels weird and he thought the engine was shutting off. He said it reminded him of Mercedes start/stop feature. Highway driving the car rides like a dream but stop and go is a problem. My Lexus service appointment is tomorrow and hope to have some answers.
I have not experienced this either. Have your dealer look at it and if they say it is normal insist on driving another LX that they have on the lot with the technician to document the difference.
Old 05-03-16, 10:58 AM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

Good advice on test driving another LX with a technician...will definitely do that.
Old 05-03-16, 06:09 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So, I drove mine thru" some WV hills and coal mine towns, and the transmission was silky smooth, no hesitation. It appears that thinking it was shifting rough was all in my head (or: auto-suggestion).
Definitely, get yours to Lexus service and if they aren't responsive, by all means raise Cain
Old 05-04-16, 10:44 AM
Jasperw1
Driver School Candidate

Update... Took my car in for service today and I am now back home in a loaner car. The lead technician and I took my car out to try and reproduce the issue with the transmission. He was driving and immediately got on the highway and said the shifting felt normal to him. I made him take the next exit to a side road and explained again that the hesitation and lag/vibration is from second to third gear and we needed to test it from a complete stop. Once on the side road the transmission reacted just as I had explained and he felt it and then tried to say maybe it's normal for the 2016 LX. What does maybe mean??? At this point I said let's go back to the dealership and test drive a new LX.
After keeping me waiting for 20 minutes the tech comes back and said that there is not another one on the lot to test drive. While waiting I noticed one in the new car delivery bay and demanded a test drive in it. He said no...After raising cain with the tech and the Genearal Manager they agreed to take it out for a test drive. Now all three of us test my LX again first and then the LX being delivered today. The transmission shift and hesitation was night and day and they both said something is wrong with mine but they don't know what. I needed to leave it for a few days for them to connect it to the computers and see what the issue is...could just need more transmission fluid in. Are you kidding me on a 100k car!!!!!! They stated that they will get all they necessary reports and diagnosis from my car and elevate it to Lexus. I am so upset right now I can't even think straight.
Old 05-04-16, 10:48 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Not surprising.

The new Tacoma is having TONS of auto trans issues as well. They have been leaving the port with low fluid. Given it is a sealed trans, it isn't fun checking it.

Hopefully Lexus NA makes it right.

Quick Reply: 2016 LX 570 Transmission hesitation.