LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Anybody ever experience weird electrical gremlins after changing the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 05:47 PM
Superbeast
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody ever experience weird electrical gremlins after changing the battery?

Got my 60K service done at Lexus, and they installed a new battery.

Now the radio doesn't work some of the time, and the setup menu screens dont go to the right place some of the time.

I can go into more detail if needed, but I'm mainly wondering if in general, the computer needs a "relearning" period, or these things are known to act odd after the battery has been out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-16, 07:51 AM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine replaced during that service on my 2010 recently and there were no problems at all. Everything worked properly as soon as I hit the start button.
Old 04-09-16, 05:53 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My belief is the technician should have connected a power supply to the OBD port which would have maintained power to the computer(s). Sounds to me like he just disconnected the battery, yanked it out, and put the new one in. Not the way to do it IMHO.
Old 04-10-16, 07:02 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
My belief is the technician should have connected a power supply to the OBD port which would have maintained power to the computer(s). Sounds to me like he just disconnected the battery, yanked it out, and put the new one in. Not the way to do it IMHO.
The technician did it the way it's normally done. No mention on the factory shop manual about applying power to the OBDII socket during battery replacement.

GPS history should be saved by the system. Next time, write down your saved radio info to reprogram your stations.
Old 04-10-16, 09:12 AM
Superbeast
Rookie

Originally Posted by hankinid
The technician did it the way it's normally done. No mention on the factory shop manual about applying power to the OBDII socket during battery replacement.

GPS history should be saved by the system. Next time, write down your saved radio info to reprogram your stations.
I'd love it if that was the problem, erased presets.

Like mentioned already in the thread title and first post, there are technical problems like radio/nav/touchscreen not turning on, menus not working correctly, and setup and customization options not working correctly.

It's back at Lexus, they've had it since Wednesday and they're stumped, and have never seen a problem like this.

A hard reset of the computer and updated software didn't fix it.

This is more than a lost radio preset.

Last edited by Superbeast; 04-10-16 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 09:14 AM
Superbeast
Rookie

You are correct about maintaining the power.

I was told by the service advisor that that is their normal procedure. Hook the car up to a power source during battery change.
Old 04-10-16, 05:31 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
The technician did it the way it's normally done.

Don't agree. Lexus dealer replaced my battery and didn't lose any settings anywhere, not even the radio presets.
Old 04-10-16, 05:51 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't agree. Lexus dealer replaced my battery and didn't lose any settings anywhere, not even the radio presets.
Yes, this is how it should be done. But if I would change the battery myself, I would not care - I would just disconnect the old one and connected the new one. And I would expect that there will be no problems - this is LX or Land Cruiser, it cannot be damaged this way.
Old 04-10-16, 09:28 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

I'd like to clarify my post above...

Series 200 and 100's will not lose display settings or eat memory settings if the scenario is simply a battery R&R...terminals go back on the new battery in a minute or two and the truck will store its settings for a brief time.

Things change a bit when you disconnect the battery for a longer repair. You'll need to redo your settings, and the truck will re-learn any engine or trans settings.