LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

5.7 L Toyota Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 11:33 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A co worker told me that a dealer service manager told him that he needs to have the engine air filter replace by OEM not after market while he was having the brake pads replace by that dealer. If he does not, his car will not runs correctly. I told him that there are after market brake pads that are better than the OEM, and the engine air filter comment was pure stupid by the dealer. We are not talking about performance air filter either.
Old 03-26-16, 10:52 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
A co worker told me that a dealer service manager told him ...
Sounds like it is a stealership he/she is visiting.
Old 03-26-16, 06:44 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
A co worker told me that a dealer service manager told him that he needs to have the engine air filter replace by OEM not after market while he was having the brake pads replace by that dealer. If he does not, his car will not runs correctly. I told him that there are after market brake pads that are better than the OEM, and the engine air filter comment was pure stupid by the dealer. We are not talking about performance air filter either.
I use NAPA Gold air filters, made by Wix. Between cars and trucks and ag vehicles I save lots by hitting their half-price filter sale twice a year. I use the standard TRD filter with metal ends for oil.

No disagreement on better pads...I think Toyota uses ceramic to minimize dust, but I prefer better stopping and the car wash when necessary.

Steve
Old 03-28-16, 08:57 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be that you can get all documentation from the Lexus dealer for a given VIN regardless if you were the owner at the time of service or not. That is pretty nice to have.
Old 03-28-16, 09:11 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDJackson
It may be that you can get all documentation from the Lexus dealer for a given VIN regardless if you were the owner at the time of service or not. That is pretty nice to have.
You can have any Lexus dealer print the service records beginning when the truck was first delivered.

You can also go to lexus.com, go to the "owners" page, input the VIN yourself, and print the records. You will need to sign-up with a user name and password prior to entering the VIN.

Stupid-easy

hth

Steve
Old 03-28-16, 09:16 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Yeah, I know... that is why I stated that this may been seen as a value for taking the vehicle to dealer, as opposed to a secondary provider. Not that it guarantees superior mechanics, but just a nice way to gain access to previous work history.
Old 03-28-16, 03:33 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDJackson
Yeah, I know... that is why I stated that this may been seen as a value for taking the vehicle to dealer, as opposed to a secondary provider. Not that it guarantees superior mechanics, but just a nice way to gain access to previous work history.
Jonathan, again, you can diy the records yourself. Based on my experience since 2009 when I bought my LX, LTS (Lexus-Toyota-Scion) almost on the corner of Franklin and Five Mile had far better competence (not to mention labor rate) than Peterson. Normally, you can get the same 10% discount on parts as you can at Peterson in Nampa. You already know it's not difficult to save the tax and get a 28% discount all over the web.

Link>ltsmotors.com . Both Brian and Cory there know what they're about, imo.

Steve
Old 03-28-16, 05:23 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Steve -

I know all about LTS... I just purchased an RX-300 from Cory on Saturday.

My point is that most people like the ability to look up information on their Lexus because it was serviced by a Lexus dealership and they know where to ask for that information. I am not saying that this is the only way to find the information... I am just stating the THIS may be a reason people value their local dealership. This is not person, just another perspective.