Driveline clunk when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 04:42 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline clunk when taking off

I have searched the board and it appears theres two known fixes for this,

Grease the tailshaft unit, or replace the entire shaft. ill grease it tonight, any thoughts on what type of grease to use?

Has anyone else found a DIY style fix for this? lexus techs charge too much for parts/labour here, so i would like to attempt to sort this out myself.
Old 03-08-16, 06:47 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

what year is your LX and how many miles on it? is the clunk loud? when the car is cold? or you hear it always?
Old 03-08-16, 07:00 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Its a 2008 model,

When cold or hot no matter its the same, not very loud but i can hear it on take off

and no miles at all man, we use kilometres here in australia :P 129,000Ks though
Old 03-08-16, 07:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ellags430
I have searched the board and it appears theres two known fixes for this,

Grease the tailshaft unit, or replace the entire shaft. ill grease it tonight, any thoughts on what type of grease to use?

Has anyone else found a DIY style fix for this? lexus techs charge too much for parts/labour here, so i would like to attempt to sort this out myself.
I'm on both the 100 & 200 series sections on mud as well as here...I think this is the first "clunk" thread on a 200 series.

When was the last time the u-joints and slip joints were greased? There should be no need to replace the drive SHAFTS...front and rear shafts operate the same. I'd grease all 4 u-joints and the 2 slip joints every 7500 miles or so.

I don't understand the grease or replace thing...sounds similar to replacing the engine to avoid an oil change.

The most frequent choices in grease seems to be Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic. Any good chassis grease will work...just keep it greased.

Steve
Old 03-08-16, 08:07 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Idk man, its just what i read in a thread on here that the lexus techs were doing this.

seems like a good idea, ill get under there and look, and if theres anything worse than a greasing needing doing, itll go back to lexus for them to fix (recently bought it as a lexus certified used vehicle with warranty)
Old 03-08-16, 09:15 PM
twinturbov
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's 2009 had this. Covered by Lexus CPO.

Here is how the brief write-up appears on the owner page at Lexus.com:

REPLACED TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY CUSTOMER STATES WHEN GOING FROM DRIVE TO PARK OR REVERSE TO DRIVE THERE IS A CLUNK SOUND - TRANSFER CASE MAKES NOISE SHIFTING THROUGH GEARS REPLACED ASSEMBLY COMPLETE - 67153 ISOLATE AND REPLACED NOISY TRANSFER CASE. EXTENDED DIAGNOSTIC TIME INCLUDES DISASSEMBLY TO ISOLATE NOISE AND TIME SPENT WITH ZONE REP AND FLUID CHANGE IN OLD UNIT. NUMBERS ON OLD CASE: 081121231, 8Y10161. NUMBERS ON NEW TRANSFER CASE: 0902
Old 03-08-16, 09:30 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Nah man, this is a clunk when taking off when already in gear, like from the lights etc...
Old 03-09-16, 04:35 AM
twinturbov
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be curious to find out what it is. I'm at 97k and the CPO ends at 100k.

The guys we work with that the dealer have had a lot of things outside of warranty approved through goodwill.

They are going to do a thorough once over on the car before the CPO expires and I'd be curious to see if they see any signs of what you're experiencing or if I can point it out to them ahead of time.

Best to you on this,

D
Old 03-09-16, 06:37 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are my thoughts:
Over time, if the driveshaft is not regularly greased with enough grease to push out the old, the grease builds up, along with dirt to make the bearings fairly solid. At this time, you can have the shaft rebuilt or replaced. You do this because you can no long get grease to flow into the bearings and those wear out. I saw this on my 95 80 series Land Cruiser.
If you are regularly greasing your prop shafts, then this will not occur. If on the other hand you let it go, then yes, it can happen to a newer vehicle as well. I noticed it on my 100 series Land Cruiser and started greasing all zerts every other oil change, when my 100 was my DD.

Now, I makes sure to hit them every oil change, as I now do not put more than about 7K miles per year on that truck.

The LX is under Lexus Care, so they hit them when the oil is changed. Just make sure to ask about this if using Lexus because they can be hit or missed, depending upon dealership.
Old 03-09-16, 02:34 PM
ellags430
Rookie

well all else aside i think the first thing ill be doing is getting under there on the weekend and greasing it and see how that goes, otherwise its off to lexus haha.
Old 03-12-16, 01:42 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Umm... my 2016 happen few days ago, the car its not cold, had been running for 5-10 mins; I was driving home from work and on the final main street light, I slow down from 45mph and make the turn, then a big clunk was heard when try to accelerate after the turn, it was very load and shock the whole car less than 2,000 miles on my car LOL

Haven't encounter it again yet
Old 05-11-16, 06:17 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Finally got around to taking a lexus tech for a drive in the car with me, he did the usual nah there is no problem, but then when he heard it when we took it for the test run, booked in for tomorrow, we will see if they fix it or just tell me nothings wrong lol
Old 05-15-16, 04:12 PM
ellags430
Rookie

So, they checked the whole thing over, and even checked over a 2016 model demo they had in and it turned out there was more backlash in the new ones tailshaft than in mine. So if the techs there are happy and say its fine im happy too. must be the trade off for buying a lexus based on the mighty landcruiser (basically a burling truck lol)
Old 05-15-16, 05:19 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ellags430
So, they checked the whole thing over, and even checked over a 2016 model demo they had in and it turned out there was more backlash in the new ones tailshaft than in mine. So if the techs there are happy and say its fine im happy too. must be the trade off for buying a lexus based on the mighty landcruiser (basically a burling truck lol)
...and made on the same assembly line.

The LX is basically the same truck...just a bit heavier and a lower towing capacity.
Old 05-15-16, 05:38 PM
ellags430
Rookie

Same towing capacity here in australia... 3500kg for both landcruiser and LX.

whats the towing capacity over there?

Quick Reply: Driveline clunk when taking off