LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

driveline issue - 2010

Old 02-22-16, 06:57 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default driveline issue - 2010

Hmmm...I hope this isn't leading up to a major issue, but I've noticed it many times now...

Back out of the garage/driveway in the morning, onto the road, put it in D and there is a real lag for the transmission to react. Ugh. Anyone else experience this?

The rest of the time (forward) everything seems great. It's actually a really nice auto imo, picking gears just right, and doing it all relatively quiet and quickly.

Best,
J
Old 02-22-16, 09:11 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Are we talking really cold weather?

When have we last changed the trans fluid?

What fluid is in the trans?

We had a week or 2 of single-digit mornings in January...I had no issues with hesitation starting out or on a drive.

I do try and let her warm up just long enough for the high idle to drop to normal.

Steve
Old 02-22-16, 10:41 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Are we talking really cold weather?

When have we last changed the trans fluid?

What fluid is in the trans?

We had a week or 2 of single-digit mornings in January...I had no issues with hesitation starting out or on a drive.

I do try and let her warm up just long enough for the high idle to drop to normal.

Steve
^Agreed- let that idle drop and wait until the oil pressure is between 1/4 and 1/2 then reassess.
Old 02-23-16, 06:04 AM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Yes, temp was likely a factor, but I also need to do all the basics - check (is there a dipstick?) the trans fluid, etc.

Still getting up to speed with this new rig. I really have no idea on service history. It would be useful to call a lexus dealer in the city it was last registered in and ask for that.

JG
Old 02-23-16, 12:59 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jacal
Yes, temp was likely a factor, but I also need to do all the basics - check (is there a dipstick?) the trans fluid, etc.

Still getting up to speed with this new rig. I really have no idea on service history. It would be useful to call a lexus dealer in the city it was last registered in and ask for that.

JG
Not sure about a dipstick, as my LC is a 2013. Obviously, if it has one, you'll see it. If not, there will be a fill-level inspection hole somewhere on the side of the trans. Fluid should be at or close to the bottom of the hole.

About history...you can go to the owner's section of lexus.com and sign in...stupid-simple. Once you're done with that, you can type in the vin and get a report showing both services done at a dealer and services recommended but declined by the owner...that report begins on the day the dealer details the truck prior to delivery.

hth

Steve
Old 02-23-16, 07:13 PM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
Not sure about a dipstick, as my LC is a 2013. Obviously, if it has one, you'll see it. If not, there will be a fill-level inspection hole somewhere on the side of the trans. Fluid should be at or close to the bottom of the hole.

About history...you can go to the owner's section of lexus.com and sign in...stupid-simple. Once you're done with that, you can type in the vin and get a report showing both services done at a dealer and services recommended but declined by the owner...that report begins on the day the dealer details the truck prior to delivery.

hth

Steve
Thanks Steve! I was pretty excited, but it doesn't look like lexus.ca has this info, and lexus.com has no records. Darn!

J
Old 02-23-16, 10:26 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thanks Steve! I was pretty excited, but it doesn't look like lexus.ca has this info, and lexus.com has no records. Darn!

J
Then I would try a Lexus dealer. Prior to my purchase of wife's LX, I took the vin to the dealer near me. The LX was 450+ miles north. A service writer input the vin and I left with the service records.

Good luck

Steve
Old 02-26-16, 07:30 PM
JJMSPARK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jacal,

I have a 2011 LX and have identical issues. At an incline on the driveway when pulling into the garage, upon taking the foot off the brake, the transmission will slip where it isn't catching the first gear. Separately, from time to time, it will take a second to find second gear after coming off a normal launch. We bought it used with 27K miles, and have no reason to believe the trans fluid is low. I have also flashed the trans ECU with the latest updates at the dealer-no help to the problems. I have 61K on the car now.

Hopefully there are some solutions out there or others that are seeing the issue and can help.
Old 02-27-16, 11:34 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2011 which has 98,000 miles on it has done this on start-up since day one. It is worse during cold weather. It isn't something that bothers me, in fact at this point in time if it didn't do it I would wonder why. Once I've driven just a couple of miles it doesn't happen again until it has set overnight in cool weather.
Old 02-27-16, 10:00 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
My 2011 which has 98,000 miles on it has done this on start-up since day one. It is worse during cold weather. It isn't something that bothers me, in fact at this point in time if it didn't do it I would wonder why. Once I've driven just a couple of miles it doesn't happen again until it has set overnight in cool weather.
I'm not suggesting that this is your issue, just for thought...slipping, particularly in cold weather, is a symptom of using regular atf (like ATF 3) in the tranny instead of Toyota WA. There's a good thread on that on mud...multiple pages and a good discussion of what can replace WA without issues in either drivability or reliability. It's not something I'd suggest if you truck is still under its powertrain warranty, either original or extended.

It was agreed that Valvoline Maxlife meets the same Toyota WA spec. There may have been others...good ol' M1 comes to mind...at that point I was at the TL/DR stage.

Steve
Old 02-28-16, 05:44 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It doesn't bother me, and is always serviced at recommended intervals at Lexus dealer. I"m not going to worry about it.
Old 03-01-16, 09:49 AM
jacal
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate the replies. It makes me think that it might be in part the design or the algorithms. I'm not going to stress on this for now!

J
Old 03-01-16, 03:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

I really appreciate the replies. It makes me think that it might be in part the design or the algorithms. I'm not going to stress on this for now!

J
I'm uncertain as to why you'd add slip when started to either the transmission or it's programming.

Steve