LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

'16 LX570 vs MB GL550/RangeRover SC/BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 10:16 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '16 LX570 vs MB GL550/RangeRover SC/BMW X5

I know that the 3rd row is a big + on the LX but the GL too has a legit 3rd row.

What about other factors like MPG, resale, reliability?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 16 LX but am still a little nervous about not taking my time to test drive the RR, GL550 and X5. I also don't usually buy new cars but in the case of the LX the '16 looks so much better than the prev. models....
Old 01-19-16, 10:19 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
I know that the 3rd row is a big + on the LX but the GL too has a legit 3rd row.

What about other factors like MPG, resale, reliability?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 16 LX but am still a little nervous about not taking my time to test drive the RR, GL550 and X5. I also don't usually buy new cars but in the case of the LX the '16 looks so much better than the prev. models....
If you are leasing, I would prefer the GL550.
Old 01-19-16, 10:22 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
If you are leasing, I would prefer the GL550.
Why? I can't think of any reason....
Old 01-19-16, 10:39 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MPG LX will be the worst

Resale Lexus/Toyota always top

Reliable... just stay away from the RR and you shouldn't have big issue within the warranty period of all the rest, but after that, you know which one to pick
Old 01-19-16, 10:40 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Why? I can't think of any reason....
The leather doesn't smell bad in the MB. The leather quality fells better. The vehicle drive has more control yet is not a float (drive precision), it looks much better (personal opinion), its has more HP and better throttle response, and it has more feature like ABC if you enjoy driving. On the other hand, the Lexus is likely more reliable, cost less to fix if out of warranty, a good family hauler from point A to point B, and that's about it. Hence, if you lease, I prefer the GL550. Lots of room and easy to drive.
Old 01-19-16, 11:02 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
The leather doesn't smell bad in the MB. The leather quality fells better. The vehicle drive has more control yet is not a float (drive precision), it looks much better (personal opinion), its has more HP and better throttle response, and it has more feature like ABC if you enjoy driving. On the other hand, the Lexus is likely more reliable, cost less to fix if out of warranty, a good family hauler from point A to point B, and that's about it. Hence, if you lease, I prefer the GL550. Lots of room and easy to drive.
Can you elaborate on "easy to drive"? What about resale value - say about 5 years from now?
Old 01-20-16, 04:41 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The X5 does not have a legitimate 3rd row. If that factor is important, avoid.

If reliability is a the key factor, then LX is you car. Least reliable would be the BMW X5 50i. I would only get the diesel, and find the 35i as too car like. MB is reliable across engine variants.

If MPG, X5 diesel whose 0-60 (6.5) beats all but the GL550 or GL63 -still beats the 550 on 0-50 (daily driving) at 5.9 sec. We regularly get 24-25mpg city 33-38mpg highway.

If resell value, LX, but only if you hold more than four years. Long-term resell value of the LX is far better than pretty much anything.

If sportiness (cornering, braking, responsiveness etc) then X5, unless you get the GL63 AMG. The X5 with the DHP package will out corner most sporty sedans.

If tech integration, X5.

If safety tech (pre collision braking, poor driving alerts, lane departure, blind spot, etc.) GL, then X5, and last LX.

If need for offroad, LX. The BMW and MB are not designed for offload but offer great traction on slippery surfaces, not 1+ foot of powder snow however; The LX can plow through snow height. It has features for off road the other do not have. Also, as a body on frame vs. unibody, it is more truck like.

Driving range BMW (700 miles) and MB diesels (450), LX (300 if you fill up, go straight to the freeway, set cruise control at 60 mph with no other passengers and no a/c)

Torque, BMW diesel, 50i, or AMG. However, towing capacity, GL 7500 lbs, vs 7000 for LX, and 6000 for BMW.

If standard lighting, then LX; optional lighting then BMW with LEDs which can be coded for anti-dazzle (google it), last GL.

If Lease BMW as it includes comprehensive free maintenance for four years, which even includes brakes. Closest maintenance program is Hyundai's.

LR (Range or LR4) is also out there. The Range in standard wheelbase is now available in diesel, as well. But dealers can't keep stock as they are sold quickly. The Range is by far the easiest on the eyes both outside and inside, not to mention color choices. Given their poor reliability history I never looked into them in detail. However, as a lease covering the warranty period, it would be great.

The new Volvo XC90 and the Q7 are also serious contenders, especially as a lease.

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-20-16 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnJerk (09-18-18)
Old 01-20-16, 06:13 AM
georgeore
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my MB GL450 for an LX. There were a couple reasons but the main one was reliability. The GL spent more time than I liked at the service center and once out of warranty the expense really piled up. $700 for a wheel bearing, $4,000 for the front differential. Also, I was not a fan of the run flats, they are both loud and expensive.
Finally, the resale value of the GL really plummets. I could not believe how little I was offered for a trade-in value.

I agree with the others, if you are leasing than the GL is a good choice but I would not want to own one out of warranty.
Old 01-20-16, 06:39 AM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 Volvo XC90 has a good third row as well.
Old 01-20-16, 09:33 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ride quality and ergonomics are better in the LX in my opinion. Its as silent and smooth as a tomb. (A vault on wheels if you'd like). It won't handle on the twisties as good as the others, but that doesn't bother me. I also found the seat on the MBZ to be uncomfortable. (BMW and Lexus both have very comfortable seats). RR is beautiful, but overpriced and un-reliable. It drives nice and handles well but it's not that smooth or quiet. Volvo has a Brand New XC-90. Historically Volvo is unreliable. Even more so on a brand new car. (I think they are over priced as well) The Audi Q7 drives very well and deserves a closer look. Audi's reliability has improved a lot lately, But the Q7 is brand new - again, I tend to avoid first year cars due to reliability issues. The LX might not be the "Coolest" or "Best Handling" car but it's a safe bet! Good size (not too small, not too big), nice to drive, luxurious, reliable and will get you there in comfort, and style every time!
Old 01-20-16, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

GL has a good size 3rd row. LX 3rd row is ok but not nearly as good
Old 01-21-16, 12:03 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MattBianco
The X5 does not have a legitimate 3rd row. If that factor is important, avoid.

If reliability is a the key factor, then LX is you car. Least reliable would be the BMW X5 50i. I would only get the diesel, and find the 35i as too car like. MB is reliable across engine variants.

If MPG, X5 diesel whose 0-60 (6.5) beats all but the GL550 or GL63 -still beats the 550 on 0-50 (daily driving) at 5.9 sec. We regularly get 24-25mpg city 33-38mpg highway.

If resell value, LX, but only if you hold more than four years. Long-term resell value of the LX is far better than pretty much anything.

If sportiness (cornering, braking, responsiveness etc) then X5, unless you get the GL63 AMG. The X5 with the DHP package will out corner most sporty sedans.

If tech integration, X5.

If safety tech (pre collision braking, poor driving alerts, lane departure, blind spot, etc.) GL, then X5, and last LX.

If need for offroad, LX. The BMW and MB are not designed for offload but offer great traction on slippery surfaces, not 1+ foot of powder snow however; The LX can plow through snow height. It has features for off road the other do not have. Also, as a body on frame vs. unibody, it is more truck like.

Driving range BMW (700 miles) and MB diesels (450), LX (300 if you fill up, go straight to the freeway, set cruise control at 60 mph with no other passengers and no a/c)

Torque, BMW diesel, 50i, or AMG. However, towing capacity, GL 7500 lbs, vs 7000 for LX, and 6000 for BMW.

If standard lighting, then LX; optional lighting then BMW with LEDs which can be coded for anti-dazzle (google it), last GL.

If Lease BMW as it includes comprehensive free maintenance for four years, which even includes brakes. Closest maintenance program is Hyundai's.

LR (Range or LR4) is also out there. The Range in standard wheelbase is now available in diesel, as well. But dealers can't keep stock as they are sold quickly. The Range is by far the easiest on the eyes both outside and inside, not to mention color choices. Given their poor reliability history I never looked into them in detail. However, as a lease covering the warranty period, it would be great.

The new Volvo XC90 and the Q7 are also serious contenders, especially as a lease.
Those 3 statements are noteworthy (not in a good way for the LX). Pretty bad actually. I know that MB has great safety stds. but I thought that LX was on par. Mileage too - pretty bad

BTW - this whole RR/MB/BMW reliability issue: When you talk to those salespeople they say that those were issues from the mid-2000's and all's changed now and they are very reliable..... and of course they'll pull out all sorts of comps/docs/websites/etc about how they are better than Lexus....Sigh

Last edited by AustinHusk; 01-21-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 12:11 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
GL has a good size 3rd row. LX 3rd row is ok but not nearly as good
Just got back from the MB dealership from test driving a GL550:
- great torque and acceleration
- very cheap feel in the interior.
- seats are ok/nice but the ugly cheap looking plastic base at the bottom and sides of the seats (including the levers on the rear seats) really scream Chevy/Hyundai/Toyota/Nissan
- Dashboard: ugly, cheap looking. Nav screen looks 2006ish

Also drove the S550. Now THAT's a different deal
Old 01-21-16, 12:34 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got back from the MB dealership from test driving a GL550:
- great torque and acceleration
- very cheap feel in the interior.
- seats are ok/nice but the ugly cheap looking plastic base at the bottom and sides of the seats (including the levers on the rear seats) really scream Chevy/Hyundai/Toyota/Nissan
- Dashboard: ugly, cheap looking. Nav screen looks 2006ish

Also drove the S550. Now THAT's a different deal
While you are at it try the X5 in diesel for drivability. And a nicely packaged X5 regardless of engine variant that has:

- Driver Assistance Package
- Driver Assistance Plus
- Nappa Leather
- Leather dash

The BMW V8 has a few lovers, but a great many haters as it has had issues. The viable choices are diesel or 35i (yawn).

Also, try the Range in diesel, if you can find one on a lot somewhere. And, if you can overlook a legacy of mixed reliability reports.

I have ordered two X5s and they were delivered, with my options and package choices in under 3 weeks. One advantage (??) of Lexus is few options and color choices so you can always find what you want sitting in a lot somewhere. With MB, BMW and especially Porsche there are just too many option choices.

The Cayenne, if you test one, is a blast to drive, but the slanted center console makes the space in the cabin very unstable. Also, it is 2 years form a refresh.
Old 01-21-16, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Gotta test drive them all. Too much money to spend on a car not to drive the competition and make sure that you're making the right choice for you.

Quick Reply: '16 LX570 vs MB GL550/RangeRover SC/BMW X5