LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Almost Bought a 15' LX570

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 04:54 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Almost Bought a 15' LX570

I was ready to sign the papers on a new 15' LX570 for $81,000 fully loaded with remote start. But the dealer didn't want to take my trade-in 13' 750LI (W131826) for $51K. Now, I'm thinking twice if I should even buy an LX570. I currently have a Sequoia but wanting to get into a Lux SUV instead of a powerful lux sedan. I know that some dealers lurk on these forums, but I have nothing to hide.

What you do think?

Last edited by Bimmer32; 01-16-16 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 05:14 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the KBB trade-in for your car? Because I don't know your car, I did the 2013 750Li with 30,000 miles and every option other than the B&O speakers and the executives rear seats, realistic (Very good) trade-in value came between 46,000 and 47,000. Unless you're at lower miles or have more options, you may be asking more than a realistic trade-in. Maybe a Mercedes or BMW dealership might be willing to take the blow to get you into a new car.

Just out of curiosity, what did they offer you for it?
Old 01-16-16, 06:00 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickTee
What's the KBB trade-in for your car? Because I don't know your car, I did the 2013 750Li with 30,000 miles and every option other than the B&O speakers and the executives rear seats, realistic (Very good) trade-in value came between 46,000 and 47,000. Unless you're at lower miles or have more options, you may be asking more than a realistic trade-in. Maybe a Mercedes or BMW dealership might be willing to take the blow to get you into a new car.

Just out of curiosity, what did they offer you for it?
I have all the options except rear entertainment. KBB does not show Anti roll stab, and integral steering, and among other options. The car is super loaded. It's a what a BMW should be as far as driving dynamic options and luxury. It has more luxury and tech then the 15' LX. KBB shows it as 53K for trade in. I have 23.5 miles on it. The last 7 digits are D131826. You can look it up at bmwarchive.org and see all the options. Lexus offered me 49K.
Old 01-16-16, 08:49 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We have two MBs CLK500, R500, and an X5 ('15). I also just sold our older LX470, replaced by a '13 LX. I would highly advise against making the LX your daily driver. It is a good vehicle that offers space, off road capability, and generally great reliability. But it is not a fun drive and technologically very challenged. See if you can drive one for a day or two before committing. As for price, the '15s are all leftovers Look at eBay as well. There was recently a '15 7k miles asking low 70s.

The BMW X5 in diesel eats the LX in every category except going off road and size. It has substantially more torque as well, not to mention MPG that is about 2x better. You should give it a test drive if you are familiar and conformable with bimmers.
Old 01-16-16, 10:02 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Thank you, Matt, for the inputs. I am bummed out about BMW's v8TT and its reliability right now. While the 13' 7 series is not part of the engine recall (09-12), I have a hunch that it might not be too far behind. You are correct that BMW technology (even in a 13') is actually several years ahead of a 15' LX. And LX the engine is not very fuel efficient.

Initially, I was looking for an SUV to replace our 03' Sequoia. But it so reliable, and selling it is like giving it away. The Sequoia is for utility and space, and I assumed that the LX would do the same but with some luxury. It floats like a boat, and I could be having the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. when looking for an LX
Old 01-16-16, 10:10 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Thank you, Matt, for the inputs. I am bummed out about BMW's v8TT and its reliability right now. While the 13' 7 series is not part of the engine recall (09-12), I have a hunch that it might not be too far behind. You are correct that BMW technology (even in a 13') is actually several years ahead of a 15' LX. And LX the engine is not very fuel efficient.

Initially, I was looking for an SUV to replace our 03' Sequoia. But it so reliable, and selling it is like giving it away. The Sequoia is for utility and space, and I assumed that the LX would do the same but with some luxury. It floats like a boat, and I could be having the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. when looking for an LX
Completely agreed. Try the N57 diesel. It actually feels closer to the 50i then Th 35i in daily driving with 0-50 faster than the 35i. The Lexus really struggled when loaded and going up the mountains buy the X5d climbs passes, fully loaded with ease. If available in the US I'd get the m50d, the diesel M.

Sounds like you should keep the Sequoia and upgrade its steroe and Bluetooth. Add a better aftermarket rear camera. Add better parking sensors. Or at least look for a near even trade. You can pick up a '13 in the $50s.
Old 01-17-16, 06:54 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Re "The BMW X5 in diesel eats the LX in every category except going off road and size." Add safety and reliability to your list. Those are two of the biggest reasons people buy LXs and the X5 is not particularly competitive in one of those and disastrously uncompetitive in the other.
Old 01-17-16, 07:04 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by ERC4
Re "The BMW X5 in diesel eats the LX in every category except going off road and size." Add safety and reliability to your list. Those are two of the biggest reasons people buy LXs and the X5 is not particularly competitive in one of those and disastrously uncompetitive in the other.
Fair point on reliability. I routinely mention that. But I would not add safety. Size always matters, but pound for pound, I am not sure the LX is safer. You cannot compare safety unless you compare same size/weight. I expect the LX to hold up well in an accident, and the X5 to crumble, absorbing much of the jolt and torsion transferred to the passengers.

This is from an online friend on the BMW forum. All four passengers are safe. It was a high speed accident vs. a large tree. The person in the front is the tow truck driver. My expectation is that a similar accident in and LX would result in less damage (still totaled) to the car, and possibly more damage to the passengers. I have no proof for my presumption other than the LX being closer to a truck with the ability to withstand body flex for offloading.

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-17-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 07:21 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ERC4
How do you come to the conclusion that the LX is safer? Not exactly seeing any LX or LC reviews that show it to be any better than an X5.
Old 01-17-16, 07:59 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
How do you come to the conclusion that the LX is safer? Not exactly seeing any LX or LC reviews that show it to be any better than an X5.
I used the Personal Injury Protection #'s at IIHS. This reflects actual death and injury statistics not crash tests which are relatively meaningless unless you are comparing vehicles of the same weight. The average car gets a score of 100. A 120 would mean it's 20% more dangerous. An 80, 20% safer. The latest data covers 2012-14 models. The X5 gets a 65. The LX wasn't covered for 12-14 but was for 2011-13 and got a 40. That's a big difference for me in the area that's most important in my selection of a family vehicle. I'm no LX apologist. The outdated tech and dinosaur engines are frustrating. But I do consider the LX to be way ahead of the X5 in safety and reliability.
Old 01-17-16, 08:38 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Good points ERC4.

I maintain, owning both cars, I can say it is far more likely to avoid an accident driving the X5 than the LX. Better braking, better steering, better handling, collision prevention braking, brake force warning, and better sensors and camera (minor accidents).

BMW Report: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...015?print-view
IIHS also states:
"Four vehicles earn perfect scores when equipped with certain options. They are the BMW 5 series large luxury car, BMW X5 midsize luxury SUV, 2015 Hyundai Genesis large luxury car and MercedesBenz E-Class large luxury car. "
From http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4904.pdf This is to the point of prevention. The options are Driver Assistance Plus package, which BMW has had on its cars in one form or another for about 6 years now.

Like you have said, fewer tests for the LX, but great personal injury claim numbers.

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-20-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-17-16, 09:08 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was ready to sign the papers on a new 15' LX570 for $81,000 fully loaded with remote start. But the dealer didn't want to take my trade-in 13' 750LI (W131826) for $51K. Now, I'm thinking twice if I should even buy an LX570. I currently have a Sequoia but wanting to get into a Lux SUV instead of a powerful lux sedan. I know that some dealers lurk on these forums, but I have nothing to hide.

What you do think?
KBB is known to be on a very generous side of trade-in estimates and usually does not reflect real world prices. A dealer would not do a bottom-line no profit deal on a new car (or take a loss, it happens) and over allow on a trade. Edmunds numbers are lower and closer to what you can expect. On a few occasions I got KBB trade-in value, I always knew that the dealer is not all in on the price of a new car I was buying. You LX will depreciate about $10-12 K a year, and then depreciation will slow down to $7-8 K. A 2014 for $65-67k could be a better bet.

That said, I drove a 2016 and it didn't excite me enough to buy it at $2-3 K off. So I am keeping my options open and will test drive a Porsche Cayenne GTS that would end-up after a good discount @ around $97K, the price of a new 2016 LX.
Old 01-18-16, 08:58 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

I appreciate the discussion about reliability and safety. My decision about trade in for a LX was reliability, depreciation, and safety in that order. I assumed that the 7er 's safety rating is statistically insignificant compared to the LX. Of course, I could find any test or claims or results. I appreciative it if you can direct me to sources about safety for these vehicles.

KBB is generous on trade-in value, and my vehicle was show $53.5K. A used LX is the most sounded choice at this point if I want to relinquish the 7er and stay under a certain budget.

On the topic of technology and engine, I would love to see a Lexus build a diesel engine SUV. That would be the best combination of fuel efficiency, reliable, and luxury.
Old 01-27-16, 09:45 AM
NLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBB is generous on trade-in value, and my vehicle was show $53.5K. A used LX is the most sounded choice at this point if I want to relinquish the 7er and stay under a certain budget.
I sent you a PM regarding my 2015....
Old 01-27-16, 11:18 AM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost bought one yesterday too, until I found out it didn't have rear cross traffic alert. I was so disappointed. That is a must on my next vehicle.