LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Entire nav system malfunctioning- help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 10:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Entire nav system malfunctioning- help

Bought a 2010 LX in May 2014 (CPO) and have extended warranty, hoping this is covered. We live in FL so our LX is used to warmer temps.....was in Atlanta for a few days of cold weather (low 30's overnight/morning) and when I started the LX it would do the following:
- Eject all CD's or DVD's loaded. Tried to re-load but pushing Load button did nothing.
- Couldn't turn volume up or down using volume ****
- Randomly go through the different audio presets and programs (ex: going from Sat1 to Sat2 to DISC, to FM, then AM)

Turned truck off immediately, then restarted it about 5 minutes later. Same problem (minus ejecting discs since they were all out and I couldn't load them).

Once truck warmed up, issues resolved themselves. It got "cold" here in FL last night and had it parked in the driveway - this morning- same things listed above happened, except this time the entire screen went black for a minute or two.

I have had multiple Lexus vehicles for 12 years now and I know the models are incredibly consistent (meaning the problems one person has are typically experienced by others)......so I'm curious if anyone has seen this and what the resolution was. I also know that FL is one of the warmest places to live so I know a ton of you LX owners have experienced the true cold and wondering if your LX reacts like this?? I'm trying to prepare myself in the event my warranty doesn't cover this to know what to tell the service techs to look for and fix.

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-13-16, 01:06 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

try pushing and holding the volume **** and let the system reboot. see if that helps.
Old 11-20-16, 08:47 AM
Caembrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jrmckinley -- Glad I found your post because the same exact thing has happened to me in my 2010 LX570 last two cold mornings. One the car interior warmed up, the system seems to settle down and will stay on one mode as normal. This morning it automatically spit out all of the CDs as it continued to cycle through the modes. Did the reset work? Any additional information to share?

stereorob - I'll try the reset as you recommend.
Old 11-21-16, 04:22 PM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I too am having this problem. My vehicle is 2010 LX 570. Will the volume **** push / rest work on mine? I tried it, and it did not appear to reboot the NAV/Head unit.

If I cannot get this to work, I may try removing the negative terminal on the battery for several minutes.

Any insights into this problem would be very greatly appreciated. Anyone successfully fix this problem? Is it a hardware fix? Software/firmware update to the head unit?

This problem is very distracting when driving, and I fear could distract and lead to an accident.

Last edited by gfcipriani; 11-21-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 11:21 AM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No problem with 2010 LX in Colorado

I've never experienced the spewing CD's or any problems with the system in Colorado, even when the vehicle has been sitting out in well-below zero temps at high altitude. When it's going to be a true cold weather start, I make sure the radio and all other non-essential things are off before shutting the vehicle down. And, as my Daddy taught me, I let the vehicle, meaning the fluids, warm up before turning the frills on and driving off. I would not like spewing CD's.
Old 11-24-16, 09:58 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gfcipriani
I too am having this problem. My vehicle is 2010 LX 570. Will the volume **** push / rest work on mine? I tried it, and it did not appear to reboot the NAV/Head unit.

If I cannot get this to work, I may try removing the negative terminal on the battery for several minutes.

Any insights into this problem would be very greatly appreciated. Anyone successfully fix this problem? Is it a hardware fix? Software/firmware update to the head unit?

This problem is very distracting when driving, and I fear could distract and lead to an accident.
It could indeed result in an accident. It's what happens when the driver screws with an accessory instead of paying heed to driving the truck.
Old 11-29-16, 08:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I live in Orlando so it's not cold too often - this happened about a year ago when visiting family for Christmas "up north" in Atlanta. I didn't do the reset that was recommended because it stopped doing it once we got back to FL. Ironically, as we were driving to the Keys last week (definitely not cold), as my kids were watching a movie in the 2nd row, the source randomly switched from DVD to Satellite as we were doing 80mph down the highway. We also had the spewing CD incident about a month ago. I don't know if I need a software update or how to get this diagnosed. It happens so infrequently that I don't think taking it to a dealer will help because there's virtually no chance it will screw up when I take it to them. I was hoping you guys could provide the answer...! Somewhat glad others have experienced this but bummed there's no fix. We have about 40k miles left on CPO warranty and I assume this would be covered if I can ever figure out how to communicate this to Lexus to get it fixed. Help...
Old 12-01-16, 01:50 PM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Default Diagnosis

has anyone attempted to diagnose this problem? Any insights into the root cause?

is this only happening to 2010 model year LX's? Mine is a 2010.
Old 12-16-16, 07:41 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

has anyone attempted to diagnose this problem? Any insights into the root cause?

is this only happening to 2010 model year LX's? Mine is a 2010.
well, it has recently been much colder around Seattle and I have seen less occurrence of this malfunction on my 30 minute drive to the office. When it was happening very frequently it was in the low to mid 40s temp. Now that it is right around freezing , I am not seeing this problem at all over the last week. Anyone else with this problem notice this type of temp dependency?
Old 12-21-16, 05:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

well, it has recently been much colder around Seattle and I have seen less occurrence of this malfunction on my 30 minute drive to the office. When it was happening very frequently it was in the low to mid 40s temp. Now that it is right around freezing , I am not seeing this problem at all over the last week. Anyone else with this problem notice this type of temp dependency?
I'm the OP of this thread. Driving around in the LX on Sunday- a lovely 86 degrees (real feel of 92) here in Orlando....nice way to get you in the holiday spirit... and system started switching the input setting from SAT to CD, then to FM, then ejected a DVD. So now it has nothing to do with cold weather for me.

Ours is still under CPO and extended warranty for another 3 years (35k miles left), my dilemma is taking this to Lexus or Toyota and getting them to re-create the problem. Is there a way to check what SW version of the system we're all running to see if those of us experiencing the problem are all on the same version? Are there updates that maybe fix this??
Old 12-24-16, 04:12 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Maybe take a video with your phone next time it happens. Lexus should be able to detect it is defective with diagnostics. Hope so.
Old 12-24-16, 06:59 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Great idea. Unfortunately it usually happens while driving. But I'll see if this can be done.
Old 12-27-16, 11:38 AM
Caembrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - great idea on video. This does occasionally happen to me in my 2010 LX570 shortly after start up in colder weather here in Dallas -- 25f to 40F or so, which doesn't occur every day. I'll video and post next time this occurs.
Old 12-29-16, 03:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Based on my prior experience, usually Toyota dealers does not work on warranty issues on Lexus vehicles. If you want to pay out of pocket, I guess Toyota dealers will be happy to help you out.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm the OP of this thread. Driving around in the LX on Sunday- a lovely 86 degrees (real feel of 92) here in Orlando....nice way to get you in the holiday spirit... and system started switching the input setting from SAT to CD, then to FM, then ejected a DVD. So now it has nothing to do with cold weather for me.

Ours is still under CPO and extended warranty for another 3 years (35k miles left), my dilemma is taking this to Lexus or Toyota and getting them to re-create the problem. Is there a way to check what SW version of the system we're all running to see if those of us experiencing the problem are all on the same version? Are there updates that maybe fix this??
Old 01-05-17, 05:47 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Based on my prior experience, usually Toyota dealers does not work on warranty issues on Lexus vehicles. If you want to pay out of pocket, I guess Toyota dealers will be happy to help you out.
My Toyota dealer is authorized to do warranty work on Lexus. It may depend on each individual dealer. I will say it depends on what happens to the LX if Toyota can fix it- for instance, my hydraulic suspension went bad and my Toyota guy told me he couldn't fix it and it would need to go to Lexus. My LX is covered for another 3 years on CPO and I'm not a big fan of my Lexus dealership, so I prefer to have everything done at Toyota for both my LX and my LS.

Also, I was able to get a video of the system spitting out all of my CD's and randomly changing sources after it shot out the 6 discs. I'll be taking it to my Toyota guy shortly to see if he can troubleshoot. Will update with results as soon as I can.
The following users liked this post:
Caembrey (09-24-21)

Quick Reply: Entire nav system malfunctioning- help