LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My Long Experience with LC and LX Came To an End

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 12:34 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Long Experience with LC and LX Came To an End

After driving LC/LX SUVs for nearly 20 years, I have decided to let go of my 2010 LX and move in another direction.

I held off in making a decision until I got to see and drive the 2016 LC/LX. The re-designed interior of the LX looks great; but I had reservations about the exterior (the front grille). Even after seeing it in person, the exterior of the LX did not grow on me.

Then I went to check out the LC. I liked the exterior very much. But the interior changes were a disappointment. It looked as if Toyota went to a big effort NOT to emulate the interior of the LX perhaps trying to deter folks from choosing the LC over the LX.

From pictures that I have seen, in markets outside the USA where Toyota doesn't sell the Lexus brand, the new Toyota LC appears to have the interior of the new Lexus LX sold here. So basically, outside of the USA customers are getting the best of both: the exterior of the LC plus the interior of the new Lexus LX.

Not thrilled about having to choose between between exterior looks and interior looks, I started thinking that I actually did not need the third row of seats (kids are now gone) and perhaps an all-wheel drive car (not a SUV) could do the trick.

I am somewhat disappointed in Toyota/Lexus because they have taken so long upgrading the LC/LX models when technology is changing very rapidly. The new 2016 LX, for example, is finally adding technology that has existed in lower models (RX, etc) for years.

I know that these are not high selling vehicles in the USA, but when you include global sales the number of units sold grows quite a bit which should afford Toyota the ability to make changes faster.

Anyway, perhaps after Toyota does a complete revamp of the LX, I might take another look. Meanwhile, it feels odd driving something different than a LC/LX after all these years, but I am enjoying it nonetheless.

Last edited by nicoff; 12-23-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it sux, i can understand what you mean though.

so what are you driving now?
Old 12-23-15, 01:50 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
it sux, i can understand what you mean though.

so what are you driving now?
I just got the new Audi A7. No third-row like I said, but lots of room for my needs and it is all-wheel drive. The technology in the car is really tops. And just today I realized that the cruise range is close to 450 miles!
Old 12-23-15, 03:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a lot of people who buy the LC/LX , FJ cruiser and even the 4Runner don't really use them the way they were designed to be use.
sometimes the only off roading these vehicles see is the grass on soccer practice.
So transitioning to an Audi A7 isn't that hard.
Old 12-23-15, 03:41 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
a lot of people who buy the LC/LX , FJ cruiser and even the 4Runner don't really use them the way they were designed to be use.
sometimes the only off roading these vehicles see is the grass on soccer practice.
So transitioning to an Audi A7 isn't that hard.
Agree 100%. I never took my LC/LX off-road, however I did face a few (not many) tricky situations in the snow and both the LC and the LX managed them perfectly. I recognize that often one creates those situations thinking that your 4x4 vehicle can handle them. I will try to be careful enough not to ever create that need.

So far the transition has not been hard at all. In fact, it has been a pleasure because of the way the A7 rides/handles/performs. The proof will come soon enough when bad weather hits or if the car starts having maintenance/repair issues (which were non-existent with the LC/LX vehicles). I guess that I am still in the honeymoon period.
Old 12-23-15, 03:47 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Post Deleted

Last edited by nicoff; 12-23-15 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Deleted: Due to duplicate post
Old 12-23-15, 03:48 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

what are your thoughts on the current GX?
i am also going to wait and see what happens to GX and LX. I have a feeling they will get rid of one and make the other one its only bof with turbo engine.
Old 12-23-15, 03:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
I just got the new Audi A7. No third-row like I said, but lots of room for my needs and it is all-wheel drive. The technology in the car is really tops. And just today I realized that the cruise range is close to 450 miles!
and the a7 looks stunning too!
Old 12-23-15, 03:59 PM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4Fun
what are your thoughts on the current GX?
i am also going to wait and see what happens to GX and LX. I have a feeling they will get rid of one and make the other one its only bof with turbo engine.
My experience is that once you get used to the LX, the GX will feel as if you are missing something. I test drove the GX but kept thinking of the LX so I never looked at it again. Overseas, the GX is sold under the names like LandCruiser Prado so you have two versions of the LandCruiser. I do not know how popular the GX is in the USA, but if Lexus doesn't sell many units, they may get rid of the GX here but keep selling it overseas because the LC Prado sells well there.
Old 12-23-15, 05:05 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@nicoff. Congrats on the new purchase. The A7 is a very nice looking and driving car. I have had a 2011 S4 for about 5 years now and the car has been flawless with 85k miles now on the ODO. Maintenance is not too bad (much cheaper than MB). The car handles impeccably in the snow as long as you realize the limitations of ground clearance.
Old 12-23-15, 08:58 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The LX is a necessity in our family. The AWD everyone and the kids love is the current germination of X5d. Far more comfortable, far more fun to drive, far superior technology, far better MPG (over 35 on most highway trips), far better acceleration, and, yes, far more torque. The LX is a beast used for ski trips, camping trips, home depot and costco runs, beach outings, and in-law visits when we need more occupancy.

I was at the dealer today and I complained endlessly about the tech. And their response was that the latest generation is "better". That was not encouraging.

At the end, I have decided their product is overcome by (poorly thought) risk management getting in the way of practicality. You cannot get a five word text while in motion, but if you switch between bluetooth devices you get a paragraph of tiny font text with a decision question at the end. AWD controls appear in the center console, and both sides of the steering. The proximity sensors come on at the wrong time and stay on, the surround camera come-on at the wrong time or you have to search for it by feel as the button is not visible from the driver position. There is just so much in the car that insults the driver. Compare to my MB and BMW this car is a far under engineered. The capital has been spent on build quality and materials to improve reliability, which is highly commendable, but that is not something that has to be mutually exclusive relative to driving performance, comfort, design and tech.

The A7 too is a great car, but the exterior styling was not my taste. The new XC90...I am not sold yet. The Cayenne was my second choice for our daily SAV. The shortcoming there was lack of HUD, inferior tech, and a useless slanted center console that is full of buttons and turned into unusable space.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-24-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 08:47 AM
nicoff
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattBianco
I was at the dealer today and I complained endlessly about the tech. And their response was that the latest generation is "better". That was not encouraging.

The capital has been spent on build quality and materials to improve reliability, which is highly commendable, but that is not something that has to be mutually exclusive relative to driving performance, comfort, design and tech.
I Agree 100%. Toyota has benefitted from having a good reputation for reliability. But today's cars are more reliable in general and having a reputation for being reliable is no longer enough. I want reliability, but I also expect state-of-the art technology in a flagship model. I would have never looked anywhere else if Toyota had kept up with the newest technology. Their delay in incorporating top technology in their flagship model made me look elsewhere. I hope that they do some marketing research and open their eyes to what buyers of these flagship models are looking for.
Old 01-09-16, 12:17 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBianco
I test drove a 2016 LX earlier today and I found the updated infotainment system to be quite decent. Probably a (small) step below the BMW and current Audi systems, but a lot better than the systems in the Porsche Cayenne , Range Rovers and Escalade. The system in the 2017 Q7 (which I was able to play with in a manufacturer demo that was at the dealer when I took my S4 in for service) blows away all the rest. I am basically between the LX and the Q7 for my new vehicle at this point.
Old 01-09-16, 01:08 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
I test drove a 2016 LX earlier today and I found the updated infotainment system to be quite decent. Probably a (small) step below the BMW and current Audi systems, but a lot better than the systems in the Porsche Cayenne , Range Rovers and Escalade. The system in the 2017 Q7 (which I was able to play with in a manufacturer demo that was at the dealer when I took my S4 in for service) blows away all the rest. I am basically between the LX and the Q7 for my new vehicle at this point.

Fully agreed. After testing the Cayenne the boss got the X5 for all the reasons you've covered plus no HUD in Porsche.

I also add that in the 14 months we've had the X5 it has received one vehicle firmware update and two entertainment system and Bluetooth updates. All free. The latter is self service. You download the file for your VIN from BMW onto a USB and update. It has enabled new features for both iOS and Android with each update.

Meanwhile Lexus has not provided any update. No improvements. Blames the phone for Bluetooth disconnects. Etc. only available update is for maps, so said the dealer. Meanwhile since 2013 phones have had 2-3 whole generation updates.

If you buy the Lexus expect zero improvements down the line. You will live with the tech features you see now.

Lexus builds reliable cars with horrible software.

Even the transmission software is awful as it is unable to downshift for mild engine braking in down slopes. You just coast with a foot on the brake.

The side camera is dumb. They always come on if you slow down, even if you don't need them, and if you put them on manual you have to search for a switch not visible from the driver position. There was zero AI thought put into it -no attempt to address behavior. I think the software was designed by coders who don't drive.

Last edited by MattBianco; 01-09-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 01:24 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I understand some of the frustrations with the technology, but I do like the experience I am having with the 2016 LX. First, I like the heads up display. Gives me very useful information without taking my eyes off the road. Don't see how another manufacturer could do better. Second, the car reads me all the texts that I receive. It works very well. I think it is dangerous to try to read them on the screen--- I would much rather have the car read them to me. With Siri Eyes free integrated into the Car, I can press the "off hook" phone button and call up Siri quickly to dictate reply texts. The front, side and surround camera work very well for me. You can choose to have the front camera come on at low speed automatically, or you can turn off the automatic function. I do agree that the button for manual operation is someone hard to see, but now that I know where it is, it is easy for me to press if I need it and I don't have the camera on "auto" to come on front facing at stopped or low speed. I would really like the full Apple Car Play--- and disappointed Toyota/Lexus is delaying or sidestepping for some new announcement. However Beat Sonic promises a full Apple Car Play retrofit option in June for most Lexus cars-- just announced. Obviously I would much prefer Lexus free retrofits and upgrades, and it is a negative mark that BMW is apparently providing updates and Lexus IS not doing that with comparable vehicles.

Quick Reply: My Long Experience with LC and LX Came To an End