LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Does your dealer charge for loaners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 12:31 PM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your dealer charge for loaners?

A little background... I bought my 14 cpo LX 10 days ago. When I got home, I noticed a small ding on the roof they failed to remove prior to certifying the car and selling to me. The dealer is 3+ hours away from me, but given the investment, I drove over for them to make it right. No big deal.

I reserved a loaner. Upon arrival I was told that loaners are $10. No exceptions. I traded in my 14 land cruiser on this car. Any service at Toyota included a loaner fully free of charge. Suddenly, I buy a $70k or so truck with the legendary Lexus service as a selling point, and now they want a credit card to charge for a loaner? I've owned 13 cars in the last 10 years including ford (1), Toyota (1), Acura (1), Porsche (1), Lexus (3), bmw (3), Audi (1), jeep (1), and Mercedes (1).

Never have I been charged for a loaner. It annoyed me enough that I just said I'll sit and wait (had nothing else to do but see the city I was in). Their justification was that gas and tolls cost money, and I'm receiving a value because the Lexus dealers in Miami charge $79 for the same. (I'm in Oklahoma). Question being whether this is reasonable, or should this be part of the cost of doing business? As of now, I'm going to have my LX serviced at the closer dealer going forward. Seems like a much better experience when I had my prior Lexus cars.
Old 12-22-15, 01:26 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpw3
A little background... I bought my 14 cpo LX 10 days ago. When I got home, I noticed a small ding on the roof they failed to remove prior to certifying the car and selling to me. The dealer is 3+ hours away from me, but given the investment, I drove over for them to make it right. No big deal.

I reserved a loaner. Upon arrival I was told that loaners are $10. No exceptions. I traded in my 14 land cruiser on this car. Any service at Toyota included a loaner fully free of charge. Suddenly, I buy a $70k or so truck with the legendary Lexus service as a selling point, and now they want a credit card to charge for a loaner? I've owned 13 cars in the last 10 years including ford (1), Toyota (1), Acura (1), Porsche (1), Lexus (3), bmw (3), Audi (1), jeep (1), and Mercedes (1).

Never have I been charged for a loaner. It annoyed me enough that I just said I'll sit and wait (had nothing else to do but see the city I was in). Their justification was that gas and tolls cost money, and I'm receiving a value because the Lexus dealers in Miami charge $79 for the same. (I'm in Oklahoma). Question being whether this is reasonable, or should this be part of the cost of doing business? As of now, I'm going to have my LX serviced at the closer dealer going forward. Seems like a much better experience when I had my prior Lexus cars.
Unheard of? No. Common? I don't know but I don't believe so.

At one point, when gas prices were very high (circa 2008), my dealer was charging $15. Loaners are a privilege, and there are - unfortunately - many folks who abuse it, and would bring their loaner cars back dry, and the costs add up. Personally, I would refuel and avoid the $15 charge. That charge, ultimately, did not last long at this dealership.

Now, in terms of your specific situation, that is just dumb on their part from a business standpoint. I could say more, but I don't think you or anyone else needs further convincing, as you've said it all... Such rigidity is not wise in this context and a sure-fire way to destroy good will.

Last edited by caha14; 12-22-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-22-15, 05:16 PM
jzarena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took my LS to that dealership in OKC as well. It used to be free in Dallas, then people abused it because they would delay returning the loaner car. Sewell Lexus now threatens you with a small fee, no sure how much, if you return the car a day later then your finished service. Not that any discussion with your service agent can't help erase if you are really in a pinch.

I guess I got several dollars worth of tolls in OKC with their loaners and used probably $10 dollars worth of gas. They don't ask you to refill the tank, just a flat $10 charge.

Same for the dealership in Glendale, AZ. They charge a flat $10, my large services would typically take 1-2 days, and due to my work schedule, I would have a loaner I got to play with for 3-4 days. Never asked me to fill the tank back.
Old 12-22-15, 06:05 PM
ryanpw3
Rookie

I can see more of a justification for a fee if a car has to be kept overnight, multiple days, or blatantly abusing in terms of mileage. It just seemed odd to me that, after making a 6 hour round trip for a simple cosmetic repair (1-2 hours), 10 days after buying a CPO LX, that I would be nickel and dined like that. It doesn't align with the CPO sales pitch touting the service and loaner availability. After all, the only reason I drove 400+ miles, $45 in gas, $16 in tolls, and about 9 hours total was because they missed an item that would have been fixed during a CPO inspection. (I also missed it when taking delivery but saw it when I got home and contacted the dealer to arrange a resolution). I guess in my mind, one pays for the loaner each time they pay the premium for the same parts and labor that can be had at their local Toyota dealer. For example, if pads installed run $90 or so at Toyota, they may run $150 or so at Lexus. In that price premium should be the complimentary loaner service advertised leading up to the sale of the car. I guess it just took me by surprise to be nickel and dimed like that at a Lexus dealer days after taking delivery of my car....
Old 12-22-15, 06:32 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I guess $10 is not really unreasonable but I have only seen it during times of real high gas prices and even then they would often waive the charge if the repair to longer then expected. I am even offered loaners for oil changes but as fast as they are it is easier to just wait. In your case with the repair something they should have completed before the sale they should have waived the charge.

And yes I do realize that (1) the high labor rates have the cost of loaners built in and (2) some people do abuse the practice.

Dave Mac
Old 12-22-15, 07:00 PM
lulugirl89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Texas and have not been charged for any loaner. I am surprised there was no flexibility on that- something dire must have happened in the past to make them so insistent.
Old 12-22-15, 07:30 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From my first Lexus back in 2006 until now, all loaner is free at my dealer, it used to be a full tank of gas, now they provide half tank, but don't need to fill up for return; and I had kept one as long as a week before because of busy schedule.

I thought the loaner should be free of charges as it should call courtesy vehicle?

Even my Mazda was free back than, but it just go thru a rental company with a cheap Hyundai 3 cylinders which can't hold 45mph on road

Last edited by ybing; 12-22-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-22-15, 07:40 PM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Originally Posted by ybing
From my first Lexus back in 2006 until now, all loaner is free at my dealer, it used to be a full tank of gas, now they provide half tank, but don't need to fill up for return; and I had kept one as long as a week before because of busy schedule.

I thought the loaner should be free of charges as it should call courtesy vehicle?
I couldn't figure it out either. I just didn't want to sit there and stare at the tv for an hour or two. Had I taken the loaner I probably would have gone to the mall (4-5 miles away) if anything. At any rate, since I don't have a local dealer, given my travel for work I have semi-regular access to no less than 6 Lexus dealers, so it was off-putting enough for me to rank that one as #6... So I'll plan to give one of the others a try when it's time for my next maintenance. Problem solved 👍😁
Old 12-22-15, 08:20 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

0ver 10 years, 4 Lexi models, and utilized multiple dealerships in Florida...
never a charge for a courtesy car.
It diminishes the brand reputation.
Offensive!
Old 12-22-15, 08:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

All depends on the dealer. My preferred Lexus dealer provides loaners free of charge, but require you return it with at much gas as you received it with. Once your car is ready, you have a 24 hour grace period to return the loaner before you are charged daily for it.

The local Toyota dealership rents out the loaners per hour...
Old 12-23-15, 05:17 AM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Radical350
0ver 10 years, 4 Lexi models, and utilized multiple dealerships in Florida...
never a charge for a courtesy car.
It diminishes the brand reputation.
Offensive!
Thanks everyone. I was just curious to see if this was the new normal with Lexus since its been 5 or 6 years since My last one. It sounds like they are largely still complimentary (i.e. Built into the cost of your service and car purchase), with some asking you to gas it back up when you return (which I don't think is unreasonable).
Old 12-23-15, 06:12 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

they don't charge for loaners at my dealership. doesn't matter how long you need one. only requirement is that you return it with the same amount of gas it had when you bring it back which is fair and don't kick the crap out of it. however my dealership takes really really good care of the customers.

think about it, Lexus builds the best cars in the world. shouldn't service reflect that? they think so.
Old 12-23-15, 06:07 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Nope, not in NW Louisiana
Old 12-23-15, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

If a dealer ever tried to charge me $1 for a loaner, I would never spend another dollar at that dealership again.

My issue is that the loaners aren't free....we pay for the loaners in the very high cost of service. Why do you think the labor rate is $140 an hour? An oil change and a tire rotation costs $250. I'm not going to pay very high costs for service...AND pay for a loaner. I'll just take the car to my independent mechanic and rent a luxury car for the day and still come out ahead. I'm at a stage in my life where convenience trumps saving money, but that convenience for me in particular involves a loaner for EVERY service. I don't have time to sit around a dealership. But, there are limits...

My dealer started calling their service loaners "service rentals", and the invoice shows a $45 charge but they don't actually charge unless you don't return the car which apparently happens a lot. They changed the terminology and added the fee to make sure people brought them back. We'll see if it stays that way...like I said if they charge me $1 they will loose me.
Old 12-23-15, 08:33 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago, loaners were free in UT for my warranty and non-warranty servicing. I bought two cars from them over the years and I think it's relevant.

Then I moved to CO where the dealer charged a nominal fee of $10-25/day for loaners regardless of warranty coverage (I forget). That dealership also introduced me to tiered servicing options - good, better and best. They attempted to shame me (and I'm sure every other customer) into "over-maintaining" my cars beyond what's in the manual. I still appreciated the convenience of a loaner, but was absolutely turned off by their service practice.

I moved back to UT a few years later to find that loaners were thankfully still free, but they ask to bring the car back with a full tank of gas. Fair enough, I suppose. I believe they also have a per day loaner charge, but they waive it for me even though I only have one Lexus now and it's out of warranty. I suspect that I get the "special treatment" because I exclusively work with a single service adviser (who's paid on what they write-up). In my opinion, it's a fair trade - quid pro quo. I pay stealer rates and get a no-charge loaner.

In contrast, a buddy of mine took his out-of-warranty Lexus into "my" stealer in UT for a $600 repair and was denied a loaner saying they're reserved for warranty work. He has no ongoing relationship with the stealer, so they didn't bend the rules in his favor. The SA used their managerial discretion, but I think it was shortsighted. Whatever. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Does your dealer charge for loaners?