LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2016 Purchase Price

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 08:49 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So, to change the subject, what's da best price on a 2017, y'all bargain-hunters?
Old 09-25-16, 09:45 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2👍

Never claim 100%. Usually 80%.

This is one of the perks of a small business owner.
If buying (not leasing), then after the 5 years of depreciation schedule, you are free to do whatever with the vehicle.

Long ago I used to think just getting a Honda Accord/Toyota Camry for the above purpose is "good enough". Then I observed some really successful business owners and the opposite extreme with others who don't work at all (but capable of working on some government subsidies) and then I realized that absolutely I was doing it all wrong. If one's business can support a $100K SUV as a business vehicle, then why not JUST DO IT? Especially there are so many incentives to do so? Any money left over at the end of the year in the company one will have to pay tax on anyway (part of that tax goes to support some free floaters who is capable of working but rather not). Not to mention the fact that the 6000+ pounds SUV is usually safer in case of an accident anyway. The only thing is the mpg is lower and cost of maintanence is higher. But most of these expenses are covered by the business anyway.

So true if you have more than one office to go to. In the case of the doctor......... some docs are on staff at multiple hospitals and clinics. Doesn't the doc need to go to see patients at these locations and also charts to finish? Also doesn't the doc need to go to some educational conferences from time to time? Who says the doc has to travel by plane? The doc decides to take a short drive in the SUV with his family instead. Similarly for another business owner going to some trade shows throughout the year? Many of these are in popular cities like Orlando FL and Las Vegas NV, just to name a couple. Get the idea?

As matter of fact one of my buddies just bought a fullt loaded brand new 2017 LX570 for "business". He is getting rid of his LC he got back in 2013. He got the LC about the same time I got my LX.. He realized (actually his wife) why settle for the LC when he (really his wife) can get the LX570 instead.

Please note that I'm not an accountant nor a lawyer. Please seek the opinions of an accountant or tax attorney for the above.

Originally Posted by malba2366
If you are going to claim 100% business use you should have very good milage logs (and another car). You can always claim 80 or 90% business use to be safe. Personally I would claim 100% business use year 1 when the big portion of the deduction is then drop it down to 80% year 2-5.

I don't think claiming the vehicle deduction would open you to audits. And even if it does there is no law saying what kind of vehicle one needs for a business. If you travel to different work sites from your primary office, then you are entitled to a business vehicle whether is costs $1000 or $100000. The important thing is that you take deductions in an appropriate fashion, and have logs to back it up.

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-25-16 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 09:56 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
X2��

If buying (not leasing), then after the 5 years of depreciation schedule, you are free to do whatever with the vehicle.

Long ago I used to think just getting a Honda Accord/Toyota Camry for the above purpose is "good enough". Then I observed some really successful business owners and the opposite extreme with others who don't work at all (but capable of working) on some government subsidies and then I realized that absolutely I was doing it all wrong. If one's business can support a $100K SUV as a business vehicle, then why not JUST DO IT? Especially there are so many incentives to do so? Any money left over at the end of the year in the company one will have to pay tax on anyway (part of that tax goes to support some free floaters who is capable of working but rather not). Not to mention the fact that the 6000+ pounds SUV is usually safer in case of an accident anyway. The only thing is the mpg is lower and cost of maintanence is higher. But most of these expenses are covered by the business anyway.

So true if you have more than one office to go to. In the case of the doctor......... some docs are on staff at multiple hospitals and clinics. Doesn't the doc need to go to see patients at these locations and also charts to finish? Also doesn't the doc need to go to some educational conferences from time to time? Who says the doc has to travel by plane? The doc decides to take a short drive in the SUV with his family instead. Similarly for another business owner going to some trade shows throughout the year? Many of these are in popular cities like Orlando FL and Las Vegas NV, just to name a couple. Get the idea?

Please note that I'm not an accountant nor a lawyer. Please seek the advices of an accountant or tax attorney for the above.

Speaking of accountant, I emailed him to ask him about this question. He charged $60 per email question and total $120. Does anyone here whose accountant charge for asking questions? I can understand if he is a tax attorney, he is not.

Last edited by DocT; 09-25-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 10:27 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I pm you.

I would do a flat monthly retainer fee structure instead.

Originally Posted by DocT
Speaking of accountant, I emailed him to ask him about this question. He charged $60 per email question and total $120. Does anyone here whose accountant charge for asking questions? I can understand if he is a tax attorney, he is not.
Old 09-25-16, 10:45 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

X2��

Long ago I used to think just getting a Honda Accord/Toyota Camry for the above purpose is "good enough". Then I observed some really successful business owners and the opposite extreme with others who don't work at all (but capable of working on some government subsidies) and then I realized that absolutely I was doing it all wrong. If one's business can support a $100K SUV as a business vehicle, then why not JUST DO IT? Especially there are so many incentives to do so? Any money left over at the end of the year in the company one will have to pay tax on anyway (part of that tax goes to support some free floaters who is capable of working but rather not). Not to mention the fact that the 6000+ pounds SUV is usually safer in case of an accident anyway. The only thing is the mpg is lower and cost of maintanence is higher. But most of these expenses are covered by the business anyway.

As matter of fact one of my buddies just bought a fullt loaded brand new 2017 LX570 for "business". He is getting rid of his LC he got back in 2013. He got the LC about the same time I got my LX.. He realized (actually his wife) why settle for the LC when he (really his wife) can get the LX570 instead.

Please note that I'm not an accountant nor a lawyer. Please seek the opinions of an accountant or tax attorney for the above.
In some occupations and / or geographical areas, you may be better off not driving a Lexus, MB, Range Rover, etc. My example...called on customers who generally belonged in the Military / Aerospace category while I was in Texas. General feeling there was overwhelmingly "buy American". My boss decreed that as company policy. A buyer or purchasing agent might think the prices I give him could be related to the Lexus I drive. No issue with a GMC Suburban...as common as flies at a BBQ.

I think it's just a simple thing along the lines of mirroring your customer.

My work truck was a new Suburban, loaded, every 3 years of 75K. 20% of yearly mileage was on my W-2. So I had a truck to use as I pleased with no gas, insurance, or maintenance bills (not to mention payments) to worry about. I did report long trips like vacations as additional personal mileage. My company would sell me the truck after the lease at half Kelly low book, so that gave me either an extra truck cheap, or the ability to flip it fast and profit.

I call my CPA for questions. 15 years in Idaho, same in Texas, a few years in California. I've never been charged. If your tax guy is used to working with large companies, that may be SOP.
Old 09-25-16, 11:06 AM
ligflava
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
So, to change the subject, what's da best price on a 2017, y'all bargain-hunters?
As of yesterday, the salesperson at Longo wasn't budging on the 2017's. Quite a disappointment as they've been really good before.
Old 09-25-16, 01:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

True indeed.

Many years ago while in training in Flint MI (before the plant closed ), people frowned on you if you drove around in a non demostic vehicle. Worse, God forbid if you showed up at or near the GM plant in a Ford! !! At the time I had a Honda Accord and lucky for me my job had nothing to do with the car industry so I don't need to go anywhere near the GM plant. But I sensed the resentment. Even if the Honda was really made in Ohio!!!!

I see what you are saying. But if you really compare the LX570 to the Chey Suburban, there is really no comparison. Maybe the GMC YuKom Denali comES close? How about a revisit after say, 5 years later on the same two SUV with same miles on the odo in the same geogeographic area ? I'll bet the GM/Chey SUV's will have far more squeaks and rattles, not to mention whatever else issues after the warranty expiration. I would buy GM products if they were made better. I was close to buying a Corvette until my buddy decided to swap out his one year old Corvette for a RCF!! I asked him why and I understood him.

Originally Posted by hankinid
In some occupations and / or geographical areas, you may be better off not driving a Lexus, MB, Range Rover, etc. My example...called on customers who generally belonged in the Military / Aerospace category while I was in Texas. General feeling there was overwhelmingly "buy American". My boss decreed that as company policy. A buyer or purchasing agent might think the prices I give him could be related to the Lexus I drive. No issue with a GMC Suburban...as common as flies at a BBQ.

I think it's just a simple thing along the lines of mirroring your customer.

My work truck was a new Suburban, loaded, every 3 years of 75K. 20% of yearly mileage was on my W-2. So I had a truck to use as I pleased with no gas, insurance, or maintenance bills (not to mention payments) to worry about. I did report long trips like vacations as additional personal mileage. My company would sell me the truck after the lease at half Kelly low book, so that gave me either an extra truck cheap, or the ability to flip it fast and profit.

I call my CPA for questions. 15 years in Idaho, same in Texas, a few years in California. I've never been charged. If your tax guy is used to working with large companies, that may be SOP.

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-25-16 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 02:05 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
I I call my CPA for questions. 15 years in Idaho, same in Texas, a few years in California. I've never been charged. If your tax guy is used to working with large companies, that may be SOP.
My tax guy runs his own tax business with his partner. He is one of the owners. (BTW, what is SOP?)
Old 09-25-16, 02:07 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ligflava
As of yesterday, the salesperson at Longo wasn't budging on the 2017's. Quite a disappointment as they've been really good before.
What did they ask for? Try Lexus of Escondido.
Old 09-25-16, 04:32 PM
ligflava
Driver

What did they ask for? Try Lexus of Escondido.
on a 2016 they gave a ~5k discount. on a 2017, they didn't sound like they wanted to budge much at all. I'm speculating but maybe with enough persistence they'd move 2k off the 2017.
will give Lexus of Escondido a try. thanks!
Old 09-25-16, 05:22 PM
DocT
Pole Position

on a 2016 they gave a ~5k discount. on a 2017, they didn't sound like they wanted to budge much at all. I'm speculating but maybe with enough persistence they'd move 2k off the 2017.
will give Lexus of Escondido a try. thanks!
There is not much difference between 2016 and 2017, except the year. That Lexus Escondido will give much more discount than $5k.
Old 09-25-16, 05:40 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

My tax guy runs his own tax business with his partner. He is one of the owners. (BTW, what is SOP?)
Standard Operating Procedure
Old 09-26-16, 11:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I guess Longo Lexus does not have a build up of inventory on the LX570 and think they can sell all of the LX570 in a timely manner?

It will be a wait and see game. In other words, supply and demand. I really don't think lots of people are lined up to buy the new LX570?? I maybe wrong maybe the folks from Russia or some third world countries are buying these and ship them overseas which will drive up the prices for us folks in the USA?

BTW, the dealer I bought my new 2013 LX570 back in 2013 made us sign a paper saying we will not export it for at least one year. I was not going to so I can careless. But now I wondered what would the penalty be if I did that? How would the dealer know anyway (unless that particular VIN # is on the "hot list" which generally applies to stolen vehicles not something like this)?

Old 09-26-16, 08:33 PM
ligflava
Driver

I guess Longo Lexus does not have a build up of inventory on the LX570 and think they can sell all of the LX570 in a timely manner?

It will be a wait and see game. In other words, supply and demand. I really don't think lots of people are lined up to buy the new LX570?? I maybe wrong maybe the folks from Russia or some third world countries are buying these and ship them overseas which will drive up the prices for us folks in the USA?

BTW, the dealer I bought my new 2013 LX570 back in 2013 made us sign a paper saying we will not export it for at least one year. I was not going to so I can careless. But now I wondered what would the penalty be if I did that? How would the dealer know anyway (unless that particular VIN # is on the "hot list" which generally applies to stolen vehicles not something like this)?
They had at least 7 on their lot, I think 2 were 2017's. The rest were 2016s.
Old 09-29-16, 06:56 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I pm you.

I would do a flat monthly retainer fee structure instead.
My accountant does not do that, but he does all the taxes for a LLC which I am a member of, in addition to the taxes for my individual LLC and the individual LLC of my 3 other partners....so he is making a good amount of revenue from us already. If the accountant is just doing the year end taxes for a corporation then I can see them trying to charge for every conversation

Quick Reply: 2016 Purchase Price