LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Got to see and sit in a 2016 LX today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Got to see and sit in a 2016 LX today...

Dropped my LS460 off at the dealer for the 10k service and they had a nice new LX sitting out front. Car was nebula grey (same as my LS) with the cabernet interior. My only experience with cabernet is in the 4GS F Sport but it transitions to luxury very well...its very rich, unusual...like it.

I was never a huge fan of the LX, I always figured if I were going to spend that kind of money on an SUV I'd get a Range Rover, but I gotta say...I loved what they have done with the 2016 refresh. The new front end looks great in person, at least on this color, all the trim changes are excellent as well, this one had the 21" wheels, loved them. Inside quality is excellent, seat materials, dash materials, everywhere are very good...love the new layout inside, the nav screen doesn't look tacked on as it does in the new RX...very nice.

If I were leasing, I would still struggle with this vs a Range Rover, to buy though this would be my first choice. I briefly considered doing a big SUV this time and drove the Range Rover, Escalade, LX, MB GL, etc....had this been out I might have gotten this.

I'll try and see if I can take it for a spin when I go back to get mine tomorrow. Enjoy them guys!
Old 12-09-15, 07:59 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Range Rover is a great car, I also planned to purchase it when it was release few years ago, until the dealer screw up the whole thing. But I'm lucky they did, if not I may be regretting now...

Few issue with the Rover is the Nav screen system is very slow and kind of out dated; my friend own a Rover and is constantly frustrated need to bring back to dealer for repairsssssss ; also there won't be 3rd row if needed and the cargo area is actually not that impressive; I found the seats in the Rover is actually less comfortable.

However, the Rover can have more power and its lighter (come on Toyota!!!)

Range Rover maybe just a bit better off road, but Land Cruiser is also legendary for off road, so you won't go wrong with neither one, and honestly, I think both cars are more than enough for 90% of the owners, most of the LX & Range Rover should be ending up in shopping mall

For on road performance, although I never drove the new Range Rover model at all, but I will still put my money on Lexus base on my Lexus experience and my friend's feed back Of course won't be able to compare if you want to save few seconds between red lights

I had driven both the Escalade & GL; It will be better to hire an Escalade as limo than own it, there are quite a lot of problem with it; I never like German cars because their seats are too hard... and the GL drive like a boat (although it was an older model, maybe newer one had improved)

Last edited by ybing; 12-09-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 10:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven the refreshed LX, but on the road the Range Rover is a better performer IMHO. It has a great ride, doesn't feel as heavy as the LX, less ponderous. The LX has a great ride too, but it has a little truckyness that the Range River doesn't have.
Old 12-09-15, 02:51 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Land Rover/ Range Rover is on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to reliability. with Toyota/Lexus on the "reliable side"
Even if, it is under warranty, who wants to sit at a service bay for hours waiting for them to repair it.

I agree, Range Rover is better if you frequent the malls a lot.
and it screams " hey I have money" if that matters to you.
Old 12-09-15, 05:22 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Who sits at a service bay with a Range Rover outside of very quick maintenance? This isn't a base Toyota.
Old 12-09-15, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Range Rovers have also gotten much better. I wouldn't be worried at all about having one within the warranty period. If I was going to keep it 10 years? I would think twice.

Anybody who spends $95,000+ on a car/SUV wants it to scream "i have money", if they say they don't they're lying. All you have to do is look at sales figures for Range Rovers to see where consumers sit on that equation...they sit in their Range Rovers lol
Old 12-09-15, 09:23 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For sure you don't want to keep a Rover after the warranty expire LOL
Old 12-09-15, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would really venture to say the lx (and lc) is a special case, the car is very underrated and most owners are very low key

and think twice? come on, i wouldn't touch any rover with a 10 ft pole if it's out of warranty, given how people i know with range rovers have countless issues WITHIN warranty period
Old 12-09-15, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps, think thrice
Old 12-10-15, 06:44 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I work at a lexus dealership so I can play with a 2016 LX all day if I want to

with that said, hell yeah I LOVE the new one. much more aggressive looking, the interior is absolutely stunning, and its got all kinds of neat standard options they didn't have before. better ride now too. feels more dialed in and more connection to the road especially in sport mode, and the height control dropps faster than the previous, which I think is awesome, and can be intimidating if someone wants to race. lol.

im gunna wait a few years and maybe ill get one once they come down in price. im looking at LX470s now cause I miss having an SUV, and since I only drive lexus, the LX is the only choice. it will go well with my LS.
Old 12-10-15, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's a really nice truck, I'm going to try and take one for a spin too.
Old 12-10-15, 09:34 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Just got back from test driving the new LX.

Very nice interior for sure. Lots of high tech features. Brakes steering wheel feel firm.
Still has a very trucky feel and you can definitely feel the weight.
I drove it in sport +. Seems like the tranny hesistated and had trouble finding the gears. Didnt seem that much more powerful than the gx. I dont know, i drove it rather gingerly. Would I get it, not sure. ABout 50 50 at this point.
Old 12-10-15, 09:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a lot more powerful than the GX, but it's a much nicer vehicle.
Old 12-10-15, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Just got back from test driving the new LX.

Very nice interior for sure. Lots of high tech features. Brakes steering wheel feel firm.
Still has a very trucky feel and you can definitely feel the weight.
I drove it in sport +. Seems like the tranny hesistated and had trouble finding the gears. Didnt seem that much more powerful than the gx. I dont know, i drove it rather gingerly. Would I get it, not sure. ABout 50 50 at this point.
i can only guess that the car is not broken in, maybe? or unless the 8 speed kills it

i drove gx and lx back to back for a week, the lx is a lot more powerful on the road on any speed pick up. in fact, as i mentioned in my review, the gx has a frustrating point right around 60mph which can get annoying because that's the freeway speed.
Old 12-10-15, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 8 speeds really make the cars feel slower IMHO.

Quick Reply: Got to see and sit in a 2016 LX today...