LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

DIY: Fix workaround Passenger Seat Back Flap broken tabs, Seat Fan & Motor replacemen

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 02:00 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: Fix workaround Passenger Seat Back Flap broken tabs, Seat Fan & Motor replacemen

So the back of the passenger seat was coming apart due to broken tabs inside. This back piece comes as one part and cost atleast $150 online and even more from dealership. Here is what it looks like and i decided to fix it instead of replacing it.

1. Move the seat all the way back and place flathead screwdriver under piece and just pull up it will pop off easily. Repeat same for other side. You will find one bolt on each side. I believe 14mm size socket will work.

2. Now go to back side and slide seat all the way to front and remove same plastic covers and find one bolt on each side of same size.

3. Now reach under the seat on the floor and pull carpet piece aside. Unplug these 3 plugs from ECU, this is just a precautionary measure not to pop out any airbags in the seat while working on it. They are easy to remove, just press on tabs and pull out.

4. Remove the headrest and put it aside.

5. Lift the seat from front and remove these 3 plugs from the bottom since the cable limits the room for movement of seat.

This small clip doesnt comes off easy so i just pulled down on cable since it is just tied with tape to this clip and easily slide off. Then use nose pliers to take it out.

6. Now pull the seat all the way back and push it to dashboard.

7. Now from rear seat you can easily work on it. Pull these rubber elastic bands at the bottom of seat holding flap. This will uncover 2 Phillips screws holding the back plastic piece.

Remove the cable for small LED on the bottom side of the flap. Just push down tab and pull it out.

These are the 2 screws need to be removed holding the back plastic piece.

Now just pull the Back down and out. It is held on top by clip only.

Last edited by umarali; 10-12-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 02:04 PM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Sinceyou got so far, this is the motor which controls the leaning back ofseat, if itdoesnt work this motor needs to be checked.

IMG_3146by umar ali, on Flickr

Thismotor controls the sliding of seat back and forth

IMG_3147by umar ali, on Flickr

Thismotor controls the seat to grow longer at knees.

IMG_3148by umar ali, on Flickr

Ifyou want to service the seat fan underneath. Just turn filtercounterclockwiseand it comes off. Now remove 3 bolts holding it in place andwiggle off theducts but be careful not to rip the ducts. I almost ripped myduct which tryingto take it off.

Unless you livein very dusty environment for longer period of time the fanstays pretty cleanand need no service.

IMG_3161by umar ali, on Flickr

IMG_3150by umar ali, on Flickr

IMG_3151by umar ali, on Flickr

8.This is the back part which has 5 broken tabs which hold the flap. Theone witharrow is the only one left all other broke off.

IMG_3153by umar ali, on Flickr

IMG_3154by umar ali, on Flickr

9. Ibough cotter pins of size 1/16" x 1/2" and #10 washers fromhome depotfor around $4 total.

IMG_3155by umar ali, on Flickr

10.Thisis the small drill i have which i used to drill holes where the tabsbroke off.

IMG_3157by umar ali, on Flickr

11.Then i put cotter pin from outside and put washer on the inside and bendcotterpin and hammered down lightly

IMG_3158by umar ali, on Flickr

IMG_3159by umar ali, on Flickr

Onlythis small part is visible on outer back side but all of them will becovered byflap except one which is too small to notice.

IMG_3160by umar ali, on Flickr

Nowjust put everything backwards and you have a fixed backseat flap.

Note: it reallysucks that i had to write this DIY twice, i almost finishedfirst time andclosed tab by mistake then wrote it all over again.

Last edited by umarali; 10-13-15 at 08:09 AM.