LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering a Lexus LX, new to forum and Lexus, NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 03:12 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has every option (as most do) and the vehicle is has a clean maintenance history and is as nice as shown in the pictures, I'd say you better be willing to pay very near the asking price. Frankly, I am surprised the vehicle has not been sold if it is mint vehicle. I would not go in with an initial offer below $40 if the vehicle checks out. Don't be afraid of the miles if everything else checks out. I can only assume you have driven it?
Old 08-07-15, 06:39 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiebertw
Headed back to the Lexus delearship Friday to talk pricing on the 2011 LX with 79k miles for 45k. It's up to date on all records and the inside and outside are in excellent condition, it's also from SC so no salt. Any clue on what price I should go in with? Any comparison from others who have bought used LX. Thanks!
Have you driven the LX yet??

Steve
Old 08-07-15, 09:51 AM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinid
Have you driven the LX yet??

Steve
Check post #10
Old 08-07-15, 03:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drich2905
Check post #10
A "duh" on me.

Thx
Old 08-11-15, 01:15 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Well when I went to the dealership the sale was pending so I was unable to negotiate then. I went ahead and looked for some good interest rates to see what Id be paying. Turns out somehow the deal broke and the LX is back on the market. Not sure what happened, hopefully it wasn't the vehicle.

http://www.sheehylexusofannapolis.co...-MD/2578949693

Ill be trading my wifes MDX in if we get things settled and the down payment will be what I get out of it, probably around 6200. I want to see if I can get them down to 43500, though I think this will be a stretch, but worth a try. My issue is now the payments and Im looking for advice, though I know y'all don't know my financial situation, just looking for suggestions considering I've never made a purchase like this, or attempted one. For a 60 month lease the payments at 3.25 would be around 744, I could afford it but don't really want a car payment this high, though this would be the only car payment, my other car is paid off. My other option is 72 months at 3.99 for 645, but to finance a used car 4 years old at 79k miles for 6 years, though I would probably pay it off in 5, seems crazy to me. What are yalls opinions? Have I lost my mind, or should I be an idiot for even considering a 6 year loan on a used car. Thanks!
Old 08-11-15, 03:14 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stiebertw
Well when I went to the dealership the sale was pending so I was unable to negotiate then. I went ahead and looked for some good interest rates to see what Id be paying. Turns out somehow the deal broke and the LX is back on the market. Not sure what happened, hopefully it wasn't the vehicle.

http://www.sheehylexusofannapolis.co...-MD/2578949693

Ill be trading my wifes MDX in if we get things settled and the down payment will be what I get out of it, probably around 6200. I want to see if I can get them down to 43500, though I think this will be a stretch, but worth a try. My issue is now the payments and Im looking for advice, though I know y'all don't know my financial situation, just looking for suggestions considering I've never made a purchase like this, or attempted one. For a 60 month lease the payments at 3.25 would be around 744, I could afford it but don't really want a car payment this high, though this would be the only car payment, my other car is paid off. My other option is 72 months at 3.99 for 645, but to finance a used car 4 years old at 79k miles for 6 years, though I would probably pay it off in 5, seems crazy to me. What are yalls opinions? Have I lost my mind, or should I be an idiot for even considering a 6 year loan on a used car. Thanks!
Imo, the truck is on the 'pricey' side...I'm looking at an '10 with <40K on her...dealer is asking for $50K even.

I have zero idea as to why you'd lease a vehicle, unless you're able to write it off as a valid business expense...otherwise you're sacrificing equity for a lower monthly payment and have zero left when the lease ends, unless you enjoy balloon payments. Leasing also has the advantage in allowing one to drive a vehicle they otherwise couldn't afford.

My opinion? You'll typically get more by selling your used vehicle to a private party. By trading it to the dealer, you're probably getting raped and pillaged v. selling it yourself. If you're talking about the possibility of kids in the future, I personally would not get into a vehicle with 6 years of payments. I doubt you'll agree, but imo you need to get into something affordable. Have you considered a low mileage 100 series LX?

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 08-11-15 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

looking at the numbers, it seems to be finance not lease

5 years financing on a used car is long enough already, 6 years is really pushing it. i am not trying to offend you, but imho if you have pressure with a 5/6 year finance, i think you should reconsider if that's the right car for you.

and yes i think that's a lot of money for the car with almost 80k miles
Old 08-11-15, 09:24 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Haha. No lease, didn't even know you could do that on a used vehicle. Anyways, decided not to go with it. Going to take my time and find the right one
Old 08-13-15, 01:01 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Found a new, pretty similar to the last one I looked at, appears to be in great condition and has good service records. Brakes were just resurfaced and newer tires (put on 10k miles ago). It's a 2011 with 78981 miles for 44999. Unlike my wife I'm a terrible bargainer. If I could get them down to 41k out the door I'll be taking it home.
Is this wishful thinking or does anyone think I have a chance?
Old 08-28-15, 10:51 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

IME, you can generally count on routine service and wear items to be your only mtce. cost. At least that's the way it's been with all 4 Lexus vehicles I've owned over the past 10 years. I'd have little concern with owning one with some miles on it so long as it hasn't been overly abused in its prior life.

Re: the GX vs. LX decision, I rank them this way:
GX 470 - overall , my favorite Lexus vehicle. I love the way it feels and operates, love the engine and transmission, love the way it's built, love the ergonomics, and to me it just seems to have more "soul" than any other Lexus. I've owned about 45 vehicles in my life (simply because I like vehicles -- I could have made any one of them last the entire time if I'd wanted) and this one connects to me like few ever have.

LX 470 -- never owned one, test drove them about 6 times, had a neighbor and acquaintances who owned them. I love the build, the aesthetics, and overall quality, and they are aging like classics in the way old Land Cruisers do, but I'm afraid the LX 570 won't do. I hate the rolly-polly feel on the road so much that I don't think I could own one. All of the ones I drove felt terribly top-heavy even in gentle turns, at intersections, etc. I haven't looked to see if anyone makes aftermarket anti-sway systems for them, but if so, that might make me willing to own one. Otherwise, probably not. It's a total shame that they didn't have the KDSS on the LX 470.

GX 460 - feels like a Nissan, not a Lexus -- I have no interest in owning one. I've test-driven them about 5 or 6 times over the past 5 or 6 years and kept reaching the same conclusion. I wouldn't dream of trading my 470 for one.

LX 570 - Super nice, solid vehicle, my wife loves it, it's my favorite big SUV, 70K miles on mine with no issues, feels like it'll run forever. I don't connect with it and love it like I do the 470, though.

YMMV.

Edit: OP, further on your dilemma, I deliberated for almost 6 months over whether to buy a 2011-2012 570 with ~30K miles or so, or buy a higher mileage one and save some money. During this time I test-drove some 2011 and 2013 models as well as a couple of 2008-2009 models. I couldn't tell any mileage-based difference between the vehicles I drove, but still I wanted to get a lower mile one. Finally, it hit me that there probably wasn't any need to get a lower mile one, and I bought an absolutely pristine 2008 with 60K miles on it at a good price. Bought it from an Audi dealer, prior owner had traded it toward a new Audi A8 and Audi Custom S7 -- a matching husband and wife set (nice, huh?). It had new Michelins, new battery, new Lexus rotors and pads, and 60K service just completed. A year or so later, I would do the same again in a heartbeat. Some of the points that went into that decision:
-- Lexus vehicles WILL run a LONG time if decently cared for. My brother has my old 2003 LS 430 (not the one in the photo above) and has 300K miles on it, no issues.
-- My GX 470 has 132K miles, no issues.
-- Routine and widespread reports indicate that the above is standard operating procedure with higher end Lexus vehicles, not just hype or exaggeration. They don't start breaking down, the electronics don't start crapping out... they just keep working.
-- Thinking ahead, say 6 years, how much difference will an extra 20K miles or so really make? IMO, little or none. Let's say you're going to put 15K/year on your truck. That means that a 40K mile truck bought today will have 130K on it in 6 years. A 60K mile truck bought today will have 150K in 6 years. I've seen from my own experience that there is essentially no difference between a Lexus with 130K and one with 150K miles. And at that 6-year point, the difference in resale value will be negligible assuming they are in the same cosmetic condition.

If you can find a super condition one with higher mileage but lower price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one if you would like to save some money.

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-28-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 03:34 PM
rmawyer
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2011 46K/$49K Austin CarMax

FWIW, a member of IH8Mud just moved to Hawaii and his 2011 clean with history just hit CarMax in Austin. May be priced higher than you like, but mileage and known history is good.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page
Old 09-02-15, 05:21 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rmawyer
FWIW, a member of IH8Mud just moved to Hawaii and his 2011 clean with history just hit CarMax in Austin. May be priced higher than you like, but mileage and known history is good.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page
It's back on Carmax.

GREAT and uncommon color. Price is OK...Local dealer in Idaho had a 2011 with ~38K and was asking $50K...it sold for asking price in about 2 weeks.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 09-03-15 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 09:03 AM
umarali
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought 2008 lx570 with 123k miles black for $31000 in texas. it had some disclosures but i decided to go ahead with the purchase. it was at lexus dealership.
they had listed front strut, rear shock seepage, rear view mirror loose ( wasnt a big deal since the wiggle was very minimal) rear AC vent broken(only one tab was broken, air works great so wasnt a big deal to me) i drove it for 10 miles or so on highway and city, drive was comfortable, no issue i could find. engine sounded very smooth . brake pads on front would be needed soon. With all the maintenance being done at same lexus dealer it was one owner clean car fax so went ahead and took the deal. there were couple of small scratches on rear door wasnt a big deal either, touchup paint would take care of it. will post pictures soon.
Old 12-26-15, 04:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Ekirks13
I am a marketing director for an auto group which includes two Lexus dealerships. I work out of one of them so I have become pretty intimate with the brand and ownership experience over the past year I have worked here. Intimate enough to have traded my Infiniti QX56 for a 2015 GX which my wife loves compared to the QX. I, too, have always wanted a LX and recently scooped up a 2006 with 96k miles on it that was traded in on a newer one like you are looking at. I absolutely love it even though the GX handles and rides a little better. I was nervous about buying something with this many miles but it it flawless in all aspects of driving and feels brand new. The models you are looking at will drive even more comfortably than my 06 though. I can tell you when we get these in on trade they are gone in a couple of days regardless of mileage. We regularly see them in for regular maintenance with 200k-300k+ miles and I've never seen one broken down beside the road! As long as the Carfax is solid if you find a higher mileage option somewhere besides a Lexus dealership you should be ok. They are hard to find so go with your gut and pull the trigger when you find the right one! Good luck in your hunt!
We traded our old 2000 LX470 with over 280K miles on the ODO (were the first original owner) with up to date service records and a minor rear end damage (someone had rear ended us a few year ago while stopped at the off exit ramp). The rear end damage was fixed to original Lexus specs. Off by 3mm per measurement before the repair.

We forgot our CD'S in the CHANGER and went back the next day to the Lexus dealer and our LX470 was already sold and GONE. They did retrieve the CD'S for us already.
Old 12-27-15, 09:48 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I purchased a 2010 LX new and currently have about 130,000 miles on it. ZERO PROBLEMS! Best SUV ever. I would avoid the 2008 and 2009 model years for two reasons. 1. 2008 is first year car, so historically they have more potential issues. 2. In 2010 Lexus added "Destination Assist" which is a huge upgrade over the old system. I was looking at the time at a 2009 or 2010, and that was the deciding factor. I'm not big on music and operating playing devices, but I also remember that the 2008 and 2009 had large hard drives that you had to download your music files to. The 2010 can play it directly from your cell phone, ipod, etc via the USB connection. Something to consider perhaps?

Quick Reply: Considering a Lexus LX, new to forum and Lexus, NEED ADVICE!