LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Considering a Lexus LX, new to forum and Lexus, NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 05:59 AM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Lexus LX, new to forum and Lexus, NEED ADVICE!

Good Morning,

We are in the market for a new SUV coming up in the next few months. Our family may be expanding next year so we need something bigger than our current 09 MDX. I have always loved the LX, and have heard endless amazing things from its owners. I have been researching the 570 online and have found a few nearby. Since I can't spend 80k on a new SUV we are looking at used, possibly CPO if we can find a good deal. Ive never looked at cars with such high mileage on them so it does make me nervous, but I understand that these vehicles could go 300k + if taken care of correctly.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...06406719&Log=0

This is one of them I have gone and looked at, didn't get a chance to drive it yet. It was in impeccable shape, seats looked perfect and all cosmetics were very well taken care of. Any advice what we should be looking at price wise compared to mileage? Its a lot of money compared to the amount of mileage on the vehicle, but in my mind the LX holds its value the most, and in 6 or 7 years down the road if I were to get ride of it I could still make a good amount of money off of it. What mechanical things should I be concerned with? It makes me feel better its coming from a Lexus dealership.

Im also looking at a few more from non lexus dealerships. 09 with 76k miles on it for 41,000. Should I even look at the LX if its not from a Lexus dealership? We are also looking at the GX model, any concerns with buying a high mileage GX? I understand the may not be as much of a beast than the LX! Thanks
Old 08-02-15, 07:40 AM
Ekirks13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a marketing director for an auto group which includes two Lexus dealerships. I work out of one of them so I have become pretty intimate with the brand and ownership experience over the past year I have worked here. Intimate enough to have traded my Infiniti QX56 for a 2015 GX which my wife loves compared to the QX. I, too, have always wanted a LX and recently scooped up a 2006 with 96k miles on it that was traded in on a newer one like you are looking at. I absolutely love it even though the GX handles and rides a little better. I was nervous about buying something with this many miles but it it flawless in all aspects of driving and feels brand new. The models you are looking at will drive even more comfortably than my 06 though. I can tell you when we get these in on trade they are gone in a couple of days regardless of mileage. We regularly see them in for regular maintenance with 200k-300k+ miles and I've never seen one broken down beside the road! As long as the Carfax is solid if you find a higher mileage option somewhere besides a Lexus dealership you should be ok. They are hard to find so go with your gut and pull the trigger when you find the right one! Good luck in your hunt!
Old 08-02-15, 08:02 AM
tkbalt
Driver

I traded an 09 in perfect condition that had 80K miles back in March, clean service history, etc. I think the lexus dealer ended up selling it for around $40k - so price on the 2011 is certainly in the range.

With all of these cars - condition / maintenance is the key. I would not be afraid to look at one which is not at a lexus dealer - as long as I could document the complete maintenance history and have it inspected at a Lexus dealer.

I would drive a GX and compare to LX - I believe you will find the LX to be a very differnt vehicle.
Old 08-02-15, 11:06 AM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. For those who have owned both the GX and LX, or can compare the two, how is the storage in the rear with the two. I see they have folding seats so it takes up some room on the sides, are the third row seats removable? What is the comfort like between the two as far as the back seat goes (leg room, etc.) Ive read that the GX rear seats are hard and uncomfortable. We will be driving around two kids and on trips two dogs as well. Is the LX that much bigger on the inside and in the cargo area? Thanks
Old 08-02-15, 11:25 AM
Ekirks13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current generation of LX and GX don't have removable rear seats. On the LX they can be removed but you have to unscrew them. The GX folds flat, which makes the usable cargo area size pretty similar to the LX with the seats folded up. On my 06 LX the rear seats come out easily which provides a lot more cargo room than my GX has. The LX 3rd row is definitely more comfortable than the GX, although legroom is still limited. My kids complain from the 3rd row in either car if we are traveling more than an hour! If we have four kids in the car on a longer trip we rotate them between 2nd and 3rd row to keep them all equally cramped up!
Old 08-02-15, 12:16 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

You could not do better than the LX when it comes to dependability.

I have owned 4 new LX 570s and not a single one had a defect.

Your choice is a very good one.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-02-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 01:25 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

The more research I do it seems like the LX comes out on top, only thing I haven't been able to find is a comparison in maintanance cost (oil change and any other routine checkups). is the oil easy to change yourself in the LX?

Iv also found another LX I'm going to look at:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...99210629&Log=0

2009 with 79000 miles on it for 41000. It has been for sale for almost a month so I may be able to talk them down so they could move it. Wonder if I could get them as low as 38500. But for 4k more I could get an LX 2 years newer with the same amount of miles, this could be a bargaining chip for the cheaper LX too. Hopefully I get a chance soon to see and drive them before they are gone!
Old 08-02-15, 01:37 PM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a new LX a year ago after having a 2003 LX470 for 10 years. It was a great vehicle and I don't remember any problems other than maintenance.

I can say when I was looking for an LX back in '04 I drove the GX then immediately drive the LX. At the time there was a big difference in the feel of the vehicle, the size, and handling. IMHO there is a huge improvement from the LX over the GX. When you drive an LX you will be spoiled.

You need to make the decision for yourself but you can't go wrong with an LX
Old 08-03-15, 09:37 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiebertw
Good Morning,

We are in the market for a new SUV coming up in the next few months. Our family may be expanding next year so we need something bigger than our current 09 MDX. I have always loved the LX, and have heard endless amazing things from its owners. I have been researching the 570 online and have found a few nearby. Since I can't spend 80k on a new SUV we are looking at used, possibly CPO if we can find a good deal. Ive never looked at cars with such high mileage on them so it does make me nervous, but I understand that these vehicles could go 300k + if taken care of correctly.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...06406719&Log=0

This is one of them I have gone and looked at, didn't get a chance to drive it yet. It was in impeccable shape, seats looked perfect and all cosmetics were very well taken care of. Any advice what we should be looking at price wise compared to mileage? Its a lot of money compared to the amount of mileage on the vehicle, but in my mind the LX holds its value the most, and in 6 or 7 years down the road if I were to get ride of it I could still make a good amount of money off of it. What mechanical things should I be concerned with? It makes me feel better its coming from a Lexus dealership.

Im also looking at a few more from non lexus dealerships. 09 with 76k miles on it for 41,000. Should I even look at the LX if its not from a Lexus dealership? We are also looking at the GX model, any concerns with buying a high mileage GX? I understand the may not be as much of a beast than the LX! Thanks
I'd have zero issues buying an LX or LC from a non-franchised dealer. With a vin go to the Toyota or Lexus websites, plug in the vin, and get info onany services done at a franchised dealer. Simple. You can also get a pre-purchase inspection, which I'd definitely recommend.

Originally Posted by tkbalt
I traded an 09 in perfect condition that had 80K miles back in March, clean service history, etc. I think the lexus dealer ended up selling it for around $40k - so price on the 2011 is certainly in the range.

With all of these cars - condition / maintenance is the key. I would not be afraid to look at one which is not at a lexus dealer - as long as I could document the complete maintenance history and have it inspected at a Lexus dealer.

I would drive a GX and compare to LX - I believe you will find the LX to be a very differnt vehicle.
Although it's called a "Land Cruiser" in Europe, it's a derivation of a 4-Runner...definitely different than what we call a LC or LX here in the U.S.

Thanks for the replies. For those who have owned both the GX and LX, or can compare the two, how is the storage in the rear with the two. I see they have folding seats so it takes up some room on the sides, are the third row seats removable? What is the comfort like between the two as far as the back seat goes (leg room, etc.) Ive read that the GX rear seats are hard and uncomfortable. We will be driving around two kids and on trips two dogs as well. Is the LX that much bigger on the inside and in the cargo area? Thanks
You can check interior dimensions on the relevant websites.

The GX will have less room in the back v. a LC or LX.

The back seat in either vehicle is not designed for adults, imo. With 2 dogs, I think you'll need to keep the rear seats folded up. ...And that's not even counting required baby paraphernalia, which will take up more room than you can possibly envision.

Originally Posted by Ekirks13
The current generation of LX and GX don't have removable rear seats. On the LX they can be removed but you have to unscrew them. The GX folds flat, which makes the usable cargo area size pretty similar to the LX with the seats folded up. On my 06 LX the rear seats come out easily which provides a lot more cargo room than my GX has. The LX 3rd row is definitely more comfortable than the GX, although legroom is still limited. My kids complain from the 3rd row in either car if we are traveling more than an hour! If we have four kids in the car on a longer trip we rotate them between 2nd and 3rd row to keep them all equally cramped up!
Current LX and LC's have seats that fold up forward of the rear wheel housings, so the most narrow area once the seats are folded is limited to the width between the wheel wells.

The seats can be removed but do need to be removed with tools. If I end up with a new (for me) series 200 LC or LC, the far rear seats will be gone the same day I bring the truck home.

The more research I do it seems like the LX comes out on top, only thing I haven't been able to find is a comparison in maintanance cost (oil change and any other routine checkups). is the oil easy to change yourself in the LX?

Iv also found another LX I'm going to look at:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...99210629&Log=0

2009 with 79000 miles on it for 41000. It has been for sale for almost a month so I may be able to talk them down so they could move it. Wonder if I could get them as low as 38500. But for 4k more I could get an LX 2 years newer with the same amount of miles, this could be a bargaining chip for the cheaper LX too. Hopefully I get a chance soon to see and drive them before they are gone!
Oil changes are stupid-easy, though the 200 series uses a canister filter...a bit messier than the screw-on filter on the 100 series.

I've been looking for a 100 or 200 series with <70K miles and I check every day...Auto Trader, Craigslist, etc. Patience is required in your quest is the best advice I can give you.

Good Luck and hth.

eta...Were I you, I'd introduce myself briefly and post the same message on the 200 series forum on ih8mud.com. This is a great site in itself but MUD gets a lot more traffic.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 08-03-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-04-15, 02:18 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. I test drove both the GX and LX. By far the LX is a better drive, and the interior is far superior (as expected). I havnt talked price yet with either vehicle so I'm not sure what I'll get them down to. I'm still concerned with the LX maintenance cost vs. the GX. At 79k miles, what is the next major service?

I can buy a certified GX for almost the same price as a LX with significantly more miles, and no warranty. This keeps eating at me. Either way I'm getting a solid vehicle but I still have my concerns with service cost
Old 08-04-15, 02:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thanks for all the help. I test drove both the GX and LX. By far the LX is a better drive, and the interior is far superior (as expected). I havnt talked price yet with either vehicle so I'm not sure what I'll get them down to. I'm still concerned with the LX maintenance cost vs. the GX. At 79k miles, what is the next major service?

I can buy a certified GX for almost the same price as a LX with significantly more miles, and no warranty. This keeps eating at me. Either way I'm getting a solid vehicle but I still have my concerns with service cost
Next service is 90K, and if the 5.7 engine is like the 4.7 in the 100 series, it will be time for a timing belt and water pump...$1K upwards unless you find an independent shop to do the work.

No idea on GX maintenance costs, but you can take a look at service intervals for any Lexus vehicle on lexus.com's owners section.

Will a CPO GX give you the room you need for your family, dogs, new baby, and stuff?

Based on your OP, I'd almost recommend a Suburban/Denali based on what you need to haul.

I'd recommend a bit more homework...

1. Find a good Toyota/Lexus independent mechanic...you'll get candid feedback on Mud in that regard.

2. Log onto Mud and ask the same questions you're asking here to a different and much larger audience. From what I've seen in the 200 series there, reliability seems to be along the lines of the 100's...i.e., you take care of scheduled maintenance and unexpected issues tend not to bite you in the butt. If you do your own work, changing fluids is simple and that's most of scheduled maintenance.

To close, since you wrote "Either way I'm getting a solid vehicle but I still have my concerns with service cost", I'll respond by saying that's the second least important thing I'd be concerned with on a vehicle that lists new for >$90K.

The last thing I'd worry about would be mileage. If that's a concern to you, I can just advise you that it will be on the atrocious side.

Steve
Old 08-04-15, 09:13 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

LX570 has a timing chain. Your just going to be changing fluids and filters, which you can do yourself. 120k miles you get new spark plugs. The LX 570 is in a league of its own and can't be compared to the GX or any other SUV sold in the USA. If you want to keep it your good for 500k+ miles with the LX and it will look better at 10 years old the a escalade at 1 year old.
Old 08-05-15, 09:33 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Max707
LX570 has a timing chain. Your just going to be changing fluids and filters, which you can do yourself. 120k miles you get new spark plugs. The LX 570 is in a league of its own and can't be compared to the GX or any other SUV sold in the USA. If you want to keep it your good for 500k+ miles with the LX and it will look better at 10 years old the a escalade at 1 year old.
No disagreement here.

My point was to let OP know that although alternatives to the LX do not compare with either its reliability or resale value or off-road (although most never see dirt), imo I've had decent reliability with 2 Suburbans when I and SO were in our raising kids phase. What we hauled around for a day in the park, not to mention 3-4 days of camping, could not fit into an LX without an expedition grade roof rack...a pita to unload.

Steve
Old 08-05-15, 09:36 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Default Considering a 200. What year is the sweet spot?

OP, some more thoughts for you. Thread linked appeared recently in the 200 forum on ih8mud.com...maybe it's right down your alley.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cons...t-spot.873297/

Good luck and patience on your choice.

Steve
Old 08-05-15, 02:18 PM
Stiebertw
Driver School Candidate

Headed back to the Lexus delearship Friday to talk pricing on the 2011 LX with 79k miles for 45k. It's up to date on all records and the inside and outside are in excellent condition, it's also from SC so no salt. Any clue on what price I should go in with? Any comparison from others who have bought used LX. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Considering a Lexus LX, new to forum and Lexus, NEED ADVICE!