LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Fluid change AHC

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 05:19 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Fluid change AHC

Anyone have this done if so at what mileage?
Old 07-31-15, 06:28 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's suggested at 60k, but two dealer service departments I've talked to don't recommend doing it. They cite instances to me where more harm than good was done. They only recommend changing if there is a leak.

If they don't want to take my money, it must be a waste...
Old 08-01-15, 03:40 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I could not find anything on changing it in the Lexus online maintance guide or on "Club Lexus" or "IH8MUD" and both have LX570 owners with over 100k miles on them and no talk of fluid change just "checking" the system. I know that the LX570 system is more robust and soficated but the LX470 system calls for fluid changes. I wonder why the difference? If anyone knows please let us all know.
Old 08-01-15, 11:49 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I could not find anything on changing it in the Lexus online maintance guide or on "Club Lexus" or "IH8MUD" and both have LX570 owners with over 100k miles on them and no talk of fluid change just "checking" the system. I know that the LX570 system is more robust and soficated but the LX470 system calls for fluid changes. I wonder why the difference? If anyone knows please let us all know.

First google hit while searching for "lx570 ahc service interval"...https://www.openbay.com/maintenance/2014-lexus-lx-570

Quick summary...Lexus says to change the AHC fluid at 60K...they may have a 30K interval for towing, a lot of off-road use, etc., but I don't have access to an owner's manual.

Anecdotal dealer stories about never changing the fluid are interesting but irrelevant...if changing the fluid causes AHC failures, the system was obviously stumbling prior to the fluid change. Are you simplistic enough to not change the oil if the dealer advises?

Steve
Old 08-02-15, 08:27 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hankinid

First google hit while searching for "lx570 ahc service interval"...https://www.openbay.com/maintenance/2014-lexus-lx-570

Quick summary...Lexus says to change the AHC fluid at 60K...they may have a 30K interval for towing, a lot of off-road use, etc., but I don't have access to an owner's manual.

Anecdotal dealer stories about never changing the fluid are interesting but irrelevant...if changing the fluid causes AHC failures, the system was obviously stumbling prior to the fluid change. Are you simplistic enough to not change the oil if the dealer advises?

Steve
Thanks, I looked at that link when I was surfing the web and even looked at the 60k mile interval but totally missed that entry I only have around 35k miles on my LX but was looking for input from higher mileage owners about getting their AHC/AVS fluid changed? I know we have many LX570 owners with over 100k miles on here, so it seems strange that I can't find one who admits to having this service. I don't go by dealers I go by Lexus. On my LX470 I had to go to Slee Off-road to get the transmission fluid exchanged, since no dealer I took my 470 to wanted to exchange the fluid. They would only recommend drain and fill. I had a local dealer tell me that on the newer LX570's they no longer retorque and grease the drive shaft. I got that misunderstanding fixed
Old 08-02-15, 10:45 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Thanks, I looked at that link when I was surfing the web and even looked at the 60k mile interval but totally missed that entry I only have around 35k miles on my LX but was looking for input from higher mileage owners about getting their AHC/AVS fluid changed? I know we have many LX570 owners with over 100k miles on here, so it seems strange that I can't find one who admits to having this service. I don't go by dealers I go by Lexus. On my LX470 I had to go to Slee Off-road to get the transmission fluid exchanged, since no dealer I took my 470 to wanted to exchange the fluid. They would only recommend drain and fill. I had a local dealer tell me that on the newer LX570's they no longer retorque and grease the drive shaft. I got that misunderstanding fixed
There are also LC and LX users convinced that changing trans fluid is a bad thing.

If you go back to the link on the 4th post in this thread, you'll see that Lexus still has a "Lubricate Drive Shaft" task in recommended periodic maintenance...So apparently, u-joints still have a grease fitting.

I'm still pondering the need for either an '06-'07 LX or Cruiser or for the new body style, so I'm not aware if the '08's onward have splined (telescoping) driveshafts...if so, the splines need greasing along with the u-joints.

I re-torque the shafts as part of maintenance with every oil change (7500 mile intervals) and they've remained tight since I bought the 100 series LX in 2009.

I'd suggest you find a local indy mechanic specializing in Lexus/Toyota and avoid a dealer that has a maintenance schedule different than that shown in you owner's manual.

hth

Steve