Comf mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 12:00 AM
Lexus63641
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comf mode

Dear LX'ers,

I like the comf mode on my LX (when it is working) it is so comfy like if you are kayaking in still waters . However I noticed this is not always the case. Sometimes the vehicle is so bump as if it is in normal or sport mode. I've installed new OEM shock absorpers for front and rear about 3-4months ago. The vehicle is 2010 lx. Does anyone have the same observation? Because what bothers me most is that on same road, same tire pressure, same driving behavior the ride is sometimes bumpy and sometimes comfy, it is not the same driving experience so I am wondering is something else might be contributing to this? Appreciate all the feedback.
Old 07-29-15, 03:32 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I seldom use the comfort mode except on a long highway ride. I find the middle setting to be better but it is all personal preference.

Bumps in the road are perceived differently by different drivers. It is pretty easy for me to tell if I am in the comfort mode compared to the other modes. There are so many factors to consider.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 06-09-16 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 07:45 PM
grsams
Driver

My 2009 seems to self adjust a lot when set in the middle position, like when getting to a certain speed the rear end will raise and lower down. I actually wondered if something was wrong. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-07-15, 02:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grsams
My 2009 seems to self adjust a lot when set in the middle position, like when getting to a certain speed the rear end will raise and lower down. I actually wondered if something was wrong. Anyone else experience this?
The LX does does lower it's height when at highway speeds. That is independent of the comfort control setting from what I understand.
Old 08-07-15, 03:43 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
The LX does does lower it's height when at highway speeds. That is independent of the comfort control setting from what I understand.
Have you a citation for that??

Afaik, normal ~9 inch ground clearance is it until you lower the truck for easier entrance / exit, or the truck senses slippage off-road and raises the body.

Steve
Old 08-09-15, 06:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid

Afaik, normal ~9 inch ground clearance is it until you lower the truck for easier entrance / exit, or the truck senses slippage off-road and raises the body.

Steve
Citation?

Not sure if slippage will automatically cause the body to raise but I do know at highway speeds the vehicle does lower a bit as when I exit at a ramp, I sometimes feel it change height again back to normal. At highway speed your LX front end lowers about one inch while your rear end lowers about a half inch. These choices are made by Lexus and are not user controlled. Once one reaches a certain speed the user can neither lower or raise the vehicle with the toggle switch.

You can program the vehicle to lower when you turn the key off but if you open the door before it has lowered it will abruptly stop lowering as a safety feature. When taking off the vehicle will stay at the lowered level until a certain speed is obtained and the LX will raise to normal operating height.

Check out this YouTube video for a pretty good explanation of the Lexus AHC:

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-09-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 11:35 AM
grsams
Driver

Good info, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-09-15, 02:14 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Steve
The AHC system is in section 2-4 of the owner's manual. The LX should drop just under 1" at freeway speeds
Old 08-10-15, 03:34 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

The AHC system is in section 2-4 of the owner's manual. The LX should drop just under 1" at freeway speeds
Thanks for that "citation"
Old 08-17-15, 02:27 AM
Lexus63641
Driver School Candidate

I started to hate the car, this morning took it to the dealer for the normal service and ask them to check whatever they can with regards to this problem. The vehicle is so rough that I can feel anything on the road on my back. "This cannot be a lexus drive" that's what I told the dealer. I know my car and it has been better before than this so I am hopping they will find out what is the problem. This is both in normal and in comf mode.

Any thought are welcome.
Old 08-17-15, 03:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus63641
I started to hate the car, this morning took it to the dealer for the normal service and ask them to check whatever they can with regards to this problem. The vehicle is so rough that I can feel anything on the road on my back. "This cannot be a lexus drive" that's what I told the dealer. I know my car and it has been better before than this so I am hopping they will find out what is the problem. This is both in normal and in comf mode.

Any thought are welcome.
Keep us updated as to what they find out.
Old 08-17-15, 06:56 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus63641

Any thought are welcome.
My thoughts...

How many miles on the truck?

How long has it been since the AHC fluid was changed...Lexus' interval is 60K.

I'd suggest having the dealer change the AHC fluid, and then read the pressures on all 4 corners with Techstream. Have the dealer give you a printout and report back here what they find.

hth

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 08-17-15 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 09:10 AM
ccm241
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the result of this OP? I feel like mine rides rough sometimes too. Wondering if changing fluid helped it.
Old 06-06-16, 09:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

The OP has put new shocks on his 2010 vehicle. I would assume that would get your fluid changed, but you never know as he is in Oman.
Old 06-06-16, 10:07 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ccm241
What was the result of this OP? I feel like mine rides rough sometimes too. Wondering if changing fluid helped it.
Tire pressure at the moment?

Quick Reply: Comf mode