LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Help - How to remove wood trim and cover around gear shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 08:27 AM
scb71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - How to remove wood trim and cover around gear shifter

I removed the side leather panels no problem and thought the center would probably pop out or have accessible screws visible but I cannot figure it out.

Can someone please share how to remove the trim in the center console area around the gear shift up to the ashtray area?

I need to check if something is catching the little door that covers the usb and accessory power. Also will polish the wood while it is out.

Did a search and am surprised that I cannot find a video or link somewhere but maybe I'm just missing it.
thanks!
Old 06-07-15, 08:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Put it back together and take it to the Lexus dealer. This will be covered under your CPO warranty. If the wood does not look good that will also be covered. Why did you buy a CPO LX570 and your doing your own work?
Old 06-08-15, 06:04 AM
scb71
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max707
Put it back together and take it to the Lexus dealer. This will be covered under your CPO warranty. If the wood does not look good that will also be covered. Why did you buy a CPO LX570 and your doing your own work?
Well to answer your direct question - because I enjoy it... I guess that's why. Same reason I mow my own yard while pretty much every one else within a few miles has lawn service. I actually like projects even when they aren't really necessary. Must be a form of therapy for me. Sort of mindless kind of like meditation and there is a distinct before and after with tangible results.

Nevertheless, I think the little door of the USB may be operating as it is supposed to but it looked like it might open a slight bit further. Since I was messing around with it anyway I figured I'd take a look and see if some fuzz or a penny or something might have fallen in there.

On another forum someone sent me some information last night after I put this idea to bed but I'm posting it in case someone comes across this looking for the how to instructions. Looks much more intensive than I thought as it does not simply pull free with a few screws as I imagined. The cooler box is attached and you have to remove both front seats if I understood the instructions. Certainly not worth doing that in my case.

Regarding my wood trim. It is in good shape as you suggested or I certainly would not have purchased the car. With that said, the clear coating on top of the wood veneer gets micro scratches in it from keys, sunglasses, etc rubbing across it as everyone that has owned a Lexus understands. The aluminum looking trim does the same but most annoying to me is the gear labels. The black section with the clear on top gets a slight haze to it over time. I was working to get everything back to looking brand new. I'm quite impressed with the results actually and would HIGHLY recommend people doing this. I wish I had done it in my previous GX and also in my Audi's and Mercedes.

I'll post a DIY in the detailing section as I took a few pics but with an I-phone it is hard to pick up those micro scratches but if you own a car you know what I'm talking about. A little buffing and in my case a dremel made it look AMAZING again. To be honest the dealers should do this when they are selling cars as it is not hard and makes the car look brand new.
Old 06-08-15, 11:59 PM
rrclx
Driver School Candidate

What year do you have? It should be very similar. I will check this thread when I am done and try to add to the information here.

I don't think the coolerbox has to come out and definitely not the seats. It has more to do with the stuff in the front dash area having to come out first.

I sold my '14 and bought an '08 for this reason. It looks near new no rust anywhere but shows a bit mechanical of wear problems at 100k.
I like to wrench and be in control. I am frustrated dealing with dealers, warranties and all that. Half of the time they turn me back and a bunch of excuses. I am ready to take that console apart and install an update box for the outdated sound system and computer. It will add a USB and an iPhone interface. Overall that car will cost me less insurance, no warranty cost and having tied up so much dough in a vehicle. The instruction how to take the cabin apart can be had in the FSM books which are on eBay and worth gold. They are better then the CD version which are abbreviated versions.
Old 06-11-15, 03:29 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I've don't own an LX nor have I done work on one, but....

The center console looks similar to the GX, which I have removed, and follows a basic pattern that many Toyotas have these days. In the case of the GX, the first step was to remove the side leather panels as well, and then unscrew the shifter ****. In the case of the GX, the next step (based on looking at the plastic near the cup holder) was to lift up the rear end of the console surround until the clips popped out of the cup holder. Once the back has popped loose, you work your way to the front and pop out the clips. In your case, it may be that the surround comes out first, or it may be that the cup holder needs to come out first. Hopefully, with the side panels removed, you can see where the plastic overlaps and make a determination?

I'd be surprised if those pieces had anything more than clips holding them in.