LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX570 Almost Beats Everyone in Motor Trend’s Large Luxury SUV Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

GM's financial situation and requirement for a bailout is much more complex than that.
Old 05-29-15, 07:19 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus needs to address it. They have a significant issue in the flagship department. They need cars up at the head of the lineup that people want to buy, aspire to buy, and that image conscious people they emulate buy and drive. I love my LS, but its not an S550, and the LX is no Range Rover or Escalade.

Otherwise, they're just going to be a company that sells Toyota based NX, RX & ES. We're fans of the brand and we can see past the age of some of these platforms because they have qualities we like and value, but most consumers aren't like us...and thats proven in the sales performance of these vehicles.
I agree with this whole heartedly!!! I'm fairly young guy driving an LX, idk if you remember off the 4GS board contemplating buying a GS450h and ended up sticking with the RX. Well things turned out great my father helped me financially to start doing some RE investment and I learned some tips and tricks on investing in the stock market so things turned pretty favorable for me due my dad allowing to work for him/giving me a loan and letting me do my own thing too. Thought I'd just let you that things turned out alright for me lol.

So on with the subject here, IMHO one of the biggest problems Lexus has had as a brand is its always been looked as a value proposition and second big problem is the lack of what I like to call "celebrity endorsements" for there flagships. You see the Kardashians always rolling around in a fleet of Range Rovers and G Wagons that is major public exposure for those vehicles that really keeps a huge demand for those vehicles thus almost always selling at premium. Same was done with the Escalade in the early 2000's it was widely adopted as a symbol of affluence with in the Hip Hop industry. They also used Range Rovers and G Wagons just not as often as the Escalade. 50 Cent had a Land Cruiser in the mid 90's and thats about for the LC/LX. Those SUV's have captured a mental market of certain group of buyers and leasers who want to be like a celebrity or would like to let the world know that they are well off or some would just genuinely like either one of them over LX because they aren in the market for a full size luxury SUV. Another things at least 2 of these 3 SUVs have on there side is aesthetics the G Wagon is just a box but the Escalade and RR have certainly been some handsome SUVs. As of right now RR and Escalade have a lot more to offer mostly because they are on much newer platforms thus expected to have better materials and more tech too. Ever since 2013 the LC200 has been an aging platform to say the least, the LC100 aged much more gracefully IMO and was on par with its competitors for its entire life cycle. The same goes for the 2013 and 2014 Escalade it really showed its age. But from what I can tell if the SUVs are not aesthetically pleasing to the masses its plain and simple the Celebs aren't going to buy it.

I'd be lying if my sisters RR hasn't made me reconsider. Sure the stitching deesnt line up in some spots and there are some inconsistent panel gaps in the interior but the finishes and layout are gorgeous. One of the biggest things that caught my eye is they use leather on the doors, dash and headliner in the RR ATB and even the base RRs have leather on the doors and dash. Actually the base Esclade 70k has leather on the dash and doors too it may not be high quality semi analine leather but it is leather. The soft touch plastics that are used on the LXs door and dash are appropriate for the era it was designed in but now it looks kind of dated but still is high quality and build quality is unrivaled for in this segment.

As for reliability RR problems are blown out of proportion, sure it may not be a major issue free 400k mile vehicle but really what one owner keeps a car that long? But I can tell you this it sure is a 100k-150k miles major issue free vehicle now. Each year there build quality and reliability scores have been going up so I believe in them. G Wagons are pretty solid from what i here other than couple here and there having some electoral gremlins. Idk anything about the Escalade all know is back in the day the general thumb of rule for a any american car was it was not much more than 100k mile car. I dont know if that still holds true. LX as we know if maintained properly can cover a substantial amount of miles.

I bought my LX in 13 just because I knew I was going need a car that would last, and I just liked it as simple as that. I didnt buy it for any other reason really. I intend to add an RR Autobiography a year or 2 down the road. I am never going to sell my LX because it was the first car bought with my own money and I'm sure if I keep it maintained it'll at least last my life time, i have a lot of time to go lol. I love my LX to the death of me, Im never gonna let go of it, but it doesn't mean I have to convince everybody that its the best SUV ever and on sale today just because I love it. There are some deficiencies in the LX as there in any other SUV or car that is the truth.

Last edited by MjThind; 05-29-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 12:12 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Excellent work MJ! Taking full advantage of our flawed monetary policy is the American way haha! Glad there is another youngster on this board.

I just received the July issue of Consumer Reports and the 'Slade and Navigator seemed to underwhelm the testers. They essentially said the Escalade was "skin-deep" and all superficial while the Navi was dated and suffered from poor fit and finish. To be fair, the Land Cruiser only scored a 69 in 2008, but something tells me that even though the RR and Escalade are newer/more sophisticated- they won't wear well. It's just a hunch. Time will tell...
Old 05-30-15, 01:29 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
^Excellent work MJ! Taking full advantage of our flawed monetary policy is the American way haha! Glad there is another youngster on this board.

I just received the July issue of Consumer Reports and the 'Slade and Navigator seemed to underwhelm the testers. They essentially said the Escalade was "skin-deep" and all superficial while the Navi was dated and suffered from poor fit and finish. To be fair, the Land Cruiser only scored a 69 in 2008, but something tells me that even though the RR and Escalade are newer/more sophisticated- they won't wear well. It's just a hunch. Time will tell...
Thanks! Yea it really it is, I'm just grateful I was able to start early, had great support while doing it, and was able to enjoy a great amount of success through my first venture! Im glad too to see another youngster as well!

I wouldn't doubt it RR and the Escalade have had build quality issues. In the RR the panels will rattle before the leather wears if properly conditioned. I fell like the RR will age gracefully mostly due to its timeless design JMHO. I'd give the Escalade like 5-6 years before it looks aged and I dont know the quality of materials they use in the Escalade Im sure if maintained properly they won't looked worn but I can for sure say rattles will be a problem. Our LX's will hold remarkably well in the rattles department if history repeats its self. My dad has had 3 LX's, all bought new, he had a '96 LX450 went strong for 349,000 miles and was still going strong when we traded it in '03 for a '04 LX470 and he had that till '09 for a cool 250,000 miles and traded in for a '10 LX570 and them that sold that one with 70,000 miles about 2 and half years ago when him and my mother went to India for an extended stay, now that he is back he bought a '14 LX almost a year ago. The one thing that was in common with all my parents LXs was nothing but scheduled maintenance was done and all rode and drove like the day they drove them off the lot and even aesthetically since my dad was meticulous about conditioning the leather and properly taking car of the paint they even looked brand-new. No rattles, no mechanical issues, so hopefully our LXs will hold up just as well!

Last edited by MjThind; 05-30-15 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 02:26 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

I'm the same way with the LX- plan on keeping it for a long time (unless I can reasonably upgrade to a '13-style) simply because there is a coolness to them that l don't see with the others. It may just be me being a Lexus loyalist, but you just don't see these everywhere like all the others, and they stay tight. My '07 GX never rattled anywhere either. I expect only better long-term quality and reliability out of the LX.

As far as upgrading something, I might have to upgrade my everyday truck to one of the new F-150 Platinums, though 😂. The real big shots can keep their Range Rovers.
Old 05-30-15, 03:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm the same way with the LX- plan on keeping it for a long time (unless I can reasonably upgrade to a '13-style) simply because there is a coolness to them that l don't see with the others. It may just be me being a Lexus loyalist, but you just don't see these everywhere like all the others, and they stay tight. My '07 GX never rattled anywhere either. I expect only better long-term quality and reliability out of the LX.

As far as upgrading something, I might have to upgrade my everyday truck to one of the new F-150 Platinums, though 😂. The real big shots can keep their Range Rovers.
I'm just the opposite the new fronts on the 13's and the new GX's I think detract from the design. But it's all about personal taste.
Old 05-31-15, 12:15 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max707
I'm just the opposite the new fronts on the 13's and the new GX's I think detract from the design. But it's all about personal taste.

You're right- I'm really indifferent about the front end. It may look a bit better on the '08-'11 model- My biggest gripe with the newer ones is the DVD screens on the back of the seat. It's hard to find ones without that package but with the MLev system. I don't have kids, and they look too "rap video-esque" for my taste. I do like the HID lights and tail end better on the '13's.

My biggest concern is the premium over the '11's and expected resale. I love luxury, but I hate getting needlessly hosed on depreciation- especially since I can't run this rig across my business. This is purely a personal "road tripping/fancy functions" vehicle...
Old 05-31-15, 12:35 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

You're right- I'm really indifferent about the front end. It may look a bit better on the '08-'11 model- My biggest gripe with the newer ones is the DVD screens on the back of the seat. It's hard to find ones without that package but with the MLev system. I don't have kids, and they look too "rap video-esque" for my taste. I do like the HID lights and tail end better on the '13's.

My biggest concern is the premium over the '11's and expected resale. I love luxury, but I hate getting needlessly hosed on depreciation- especially since I can't run this rig across my business. This is purely a personal "road tripping/fancy functions" vehicle...
I like that stainless strip on the back and the upgraded lights.
Old 07-23-15, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's enough, back on topic please
Old 07-24-15, 07:16 PM
aristott
Rookie

I've had my facelift 2013 LX570 for over 3 years, it has been a please to own. I've owned Lexus SUV's since 2001 and Lexus since 1996 after graduating high school. I loved my new 2004 GX470 which I owned till 2011! My 2013 LX570 has never gone in for one warranty job just oil changes and brakes.
I've loved the dependability but HATE how it drives like a school bus with no power, handling, or good brakes (I did a full big brake kit upgrade but the ABS does not react well). I finally decided to go with a brand new Range Rover full size V8 supercharged. This truck really drives like a car, it takes corners very well, the brakes... so good! the 510hp is just amazing! The interior is as sexy as they come, the exterior with the full black roof, white exterior with optional black trims, factory 22" wheels, LEATHER dash!
The LX570 is a $90k premium luxury SUV but where's the leather dash? The trims are very RX350 like, the headliner is not made of premium material, the trims don't match as they are of so many different colors. If any of you said the full size range rover has poor resale you are wrong... a one year old full size V8 is selling for nearly the price of a new model. People are still paying $5k over MSRP.
Old 07-24-15, 07:29 PM
aristott
Rookie

My Jaguar XF has 90k miles with very little servicing or problems. The paint on the hood is original with little chips. Many of the electronics say Denso!
I hope my RR hold up just as well as the Jaguar or LX570.

Originally Posted by MjThind
My little sister just bought a RR Autobiography for $14k1 OTD cash, if she wanted to lease it was $2200 and they were offering 0 incentives on lease. She wasn't going go lease anyways because she drives around 20k miles a year, just shopping lol. RR's are surprisingly in high demand, and when she went in to get in her 5k service the dealers GM approached her in the service waiting area and offered her $145k plus money for the full car clear bra and Passport 9500ci with laser jammers, she had gotten installed. She declined because she had already waited for 5 months for the spec she wanted and she plans to keep it for 5 years. I drive it every now and then, cabin materials are better than our LX's, has more power, and has more features/gadgets than our LX's. Ride is a tad better but there are lot of gap inconsistencies and stitching in a couple places doesn't line up remotely. But until the LC300 platform comes out we can't truly compare with the GenIV L405 RR. Hers has been issue free and still is at 9k miles, she did buy an extended warranty through LRNA so lets if she gets her moneys worth or the warranty will be a waste(probably not) but Id love to see it be a waste.