LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Brake Pad replacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 05:09 PM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad replacing

Anyone have a link to a video showing how to change out the brake pads on a 2009 lx570? I have been searching you tube, but nothing yet. Any help is greatly appreciated as I would rather do this myself instead of having to sell the house to get it done at the dealer.
Old 04-29-15, 02:46 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

My Lexus dealer did my rears for $300
Old 04-29-15, 06:20 PM
grsams
Driver

That's crazy. I can get all four pads for $80
Old 04-29-15, 06:46 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

I would hope by the time people graduate to driving an LC/LX, they understand time is an extremely important currency. It's something that is finite and declining- there will always be less of it remaining for us.

Given the cost of purchasing a 200, most people who can afford one have time issues- namely, their time is extremely valuable- either they are old, wealthy, and about to croak or they are overrun with work/burdens.Therefore, the cost/value derived to them is relative.

For instance, suppose my time is worth $300 per hour based on 40 hour workweek (haven't had that since college) paycheck, and I sleep 56 hours per week, exercise for 7 hours per week, spend time with my girlfriend, etc... That leaves me just a few hours remaining to myself for "me time."

I could do brakes myself, but it would take me approx 2.5x longer than my mechanic- who has tools, jack, and everything else ready- not to mention, he picks up my car. So, in my example, paying my mechanic anything less than $750 is a deal for me, as my time is better utilized. Of course, he charges $75 per labor hour, and can do brakes in approx an hour per axle easily. Therefore, there is no reason- besides just saying I did it out of boredom, that I would ever not let my mechanic handle that task.

Obviously, there are good deals and bad deals out there, but it is all relative.
Old 04-29-15, 07:07 PM
grsams
Driver

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I would hope by the time people graduate to driving an LC/LX, they understand time is an extremely important currency. It's something that is finite and declining- there will always be less of it remaining for us.

Given the cost of purchasing a 200, most people who can afford one have time issues- namely, their time is extremely valuable- either they are old, wealthy, and about to croak or they are overrun with work/burdens.Therefore, the cost/value derived to them is relative.

For instance, suppose my time is worth $300 per hour based on 40 hour workweek (haven't had that since college) paycheck, and I sleep 56 hours per week, exercise for 7 hours per week, spend time with my girlfriend, etc... That leaves me just a few hours remaining to myself for "me time."

I could do brakes myself, but it would take me approx 2.5x longer than my mechanic- who has tools, jack, and everything else ready- not to mention, he picks up my car. So, in my example, paying my mechanic anything less than $750 is a deal for me, as my time is better utilized. Of course, he charges $75 per labor hour, and can do brakes in approx an hour per axle easily. Therefore, there is no reason- besides just saying I did it out of boredom, that I would ever not let my mechanic handle that task.

Obviously, there are good deals and bad deals out there, but it is all relative.

Very good point, however when I have time to work on the truck it is me time.
Old 04-29-15, 07:34 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

My biggest problem with DIY projects is I usually just create more problems than I fix haha!
Old 04-30-15, 03:17 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

The number of LX owners will to do their own brake job has got to be slim. Only thing slimmer would be a video of them doing it.

I do admire grsams for having the time and will to do it. Long ago when I was a young man I used to do all the work on my vehicles but they were a bit more simple than todays technology. Back then I hoped my 440 with a "six pack" even had disk brakes but just missed it by a year.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-30-15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:44 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I do admire grsams for having the time and will to do it. Long ago when I was a young man I used to do all the work on my vehicles
Agree - don't have the time to do work on cars or bikes - so I rely on the dealer. Used to buy the OEM pads from Sewell and have the dealer install to save me some money - but not sure where I will source them now. did buy a case of oil filters, an air filter and a couple of cabin filters for my 2015 before they (Sewell) closed up their online business.

Might check the MUD land Cruiser forum - they could potentially have a step by step on brake pad replacement..
Old 04-30-15, 11:58 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

It can't be all that different than a newer Tundra.

It looks pretty much the same as my 80 series; you don't even have to pull the caliper off the wheel. Simple.

Take a little time to bed down the new pads once installed. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-30-15, 09:21 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Watched the video, guy did not lube the Pistons or turn the rotor
Old 05-01-15, 09:58 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Toyota OEM brake pads tend to be less destructive on rotors as compared to other brands. So whereas Audi maintenance requires you to swap in new rotors at every brake service, Toyota's can get away with a turn, or even just cleaning and scuffing the surface before bedding the new pads.

But yea, in general I agree with you Max. If you don't at least turn the rotors you run the risk of brake vibrations down the road.
Old 05-01-15, 12:36 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Originally Posted by Jacket
Toyota OEM brake pads tend to be less destructive on rotors as compared to other brands. So whereas Audi maintenance requires you to swap in new rotors at every brake service, Toyota's can get away with a turn, or even just cleaning and scuffing the surface before bedding the new pads.

But yea, in general I agree with you Max. If you don't at least turn the rotors you run the risk of brake vibrations down the road.
Agree - always had rotors turned and never needed to replace rotors on any lexus I have owned.
Old 06-10-15, 08:00 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
The number of LX owners will to do their own brake job has got to be slim. Only thing slimmer would be a video of them doing it.
LMAO you are so right.
Old 06-10-15, 09:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
LMAO you are so right.
You may be laughing, but you might also check the 200 series forum on Mud.
Old 06-10-15, 10:10 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hankinid
You may be laughing, but you might also check the 200 series forum on Mud.
I'm on Mud, some LX570 owners on Mud might diy on brakes but they are the exception. Now the LC owners that's a different story.