LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

trailer hookup question

Old 01-20-15, 09:05 AM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trailer hookup question

I purchased my 2014 LX570 about 5 months ago and for the first time today I had to pull a trailer. Just wondered if the trailer wiring harness from the vehicle to the trailer is included with the vehicle purchase.

I figured 'no', but thought I would ask before I bought the male connector that connects to the vehicle.
Thanks
Old 01-20-15, 09:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

You should have got an adapter that plugs into the factory installed outlet that is under the back of the LX to the right of the hitch. It can be a reach to get to it. Depending on your trailer you may not need the adapter but if the trailer harness ends with a flat connector the adapter will be required. I pull the fishing boat on the weekends and the LX is awesome for this!

If you do not have this adapter, Amazon has multiple brands, just search under trailer wiring adapter or look here:
Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74607 7-Way to 4-Way Flat Blade Wiring Adapter: Automotive

Your local Uhaul dealer would also have them.
Old 01-20-15, 09:40 AM
drich2905
Driver

Thanks for the quick response. Yep, I found the adapter that I had hidden from myself a few months ago.

Cheers
Old 01-20-15, 11:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drich2905
Thanks for the quick response. Yep, I found the adapter that I had hidden from myself a few months ago.

Cheers
That is great. That rear view camera will allow you to put the ball right under the hitch receiver all by yourself. The LX is a great towing machine!
Old 01-29-15, 07:19 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Pulled a trailer for the first time with mine over the summer. Everything I needed came with the vehicle except the ball which I purchased at WallyWorld. Just plug your trailer into the existing outlet on the passenger side of the hitch, up under the bumper, and away you go.
Old 04-07-15, 06:18 AM
Mtnracer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When towing, just make sure you have enough slack in the trailer cable. Ours reached the connector on the LX just fine but did not have much slack. Because the connector on the LX is quite far to the right side, the first time we made a sharp left turn it yanked right out and dragged on the street. We had to get a cable extension to make it work.
Old 04-07-15, 08:43 AM
drich2905
Driver

Been there, done that. On the LX got an extension before the first trailer episode
Old 07-15-15, 11:55 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtnracer
When towing, just make sure you have enough slack in the trailer cable. Ours reached the connector on the LX just fine but did not have much slack. Because the connector on the LX is quite far to the right side, the first time we made a sharp left turn it yanked right out and dragged on the street. We had to get a cable extension to make it work.
I had a similar experience. The LX 570 trailer plug socket was so far to the right side that my horse trailer cable would pull out when I made a left turn. Extending the trailer cable would have left too much slack to potentially drag on the ground or catch on something when making a right turn.

So, I bought and installed a new socket under the bumper just to the driver's side of the receiver, where most trucks and other SUVs like the Suburban have it located. Then I made up an extension running from the new socket, ending in a 7 pin RV plug that is inserted into the original Lexus socket. I tucked the extension up under the bumper and secured it with a few zip ties.

Now I can do all my trailer hookup of safety chains, breakaway cable, hitch, and electrical connection from the driver's side, without having to walk around to the passenger side, or crawl over the trailer tongue. Cost was about $50 for all the parts, and took about an hour.

I also bought a pre-painted hitch cover and used a Dremel tool to cut out access so that I can leave the hitch attached all the time. The trimmed cover looks a lot better than it did with the cover removed, and I have the original to re-install if I ever do remove the ball. Since I tow about twice a week, having to remove the receiver cover and insert the hitch every time was a real drag. The pre-painted Lexus cover was about $70.
Old 07-16-15, 07:29 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
I had a similar experience. The LX 570 trailer plug socket was so far to the right side that my horse trailer cable would pull out when I made a left turn. Extending the trailer cable would have left too much slack to potentially drag on the ground or catch on something when making a right turn.

So, I bought and installed a new socket under the bumper just to the driver's side of the receiver, where most trucks and other SUVs like the Suburban have it located. Then I made up an extension running from the new socket, ending in a 7 pin RV plug that is inserted into the original Lexus socket. I tucked the extension up under the bumper and secured it with a few zip ties.

Now I can do all my trailer hookup of safety chains, breakaway cable, hitch, and electrical connection from the driver's side, without having to walk around to the passenger side, or crawl over the trailer tongue. Cost was about $50 for all the parts, and took about an hour.

I also bought a pre-painted hitch cover and used a Dremel tool to cut out access so that I can leave the hitch attached all the time. The trimmed cover looks a lot better than it did with the cover removed, and I have the original to re-install if I ever do remove the ball. Since I tow about twice a week, having to remove the receiver cover and insert the hitch every time was a real drag. The pre-painted Lexus cover was about $70.
Just wondering with your 800 mile per week commute and pulling a 2 horse trail as often as you do, at what mileage do you have your transmission serviced?
Old 07-20-15, 09:41 PM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Re:cable extension - where do you buy it and what are the keywords for search?
Thank you!
Old 07-21-15, 02:07 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vlad
Re:cable extension - where do you buy it and what are the keywords for search?
Thank you!
U-Haul has them.
Old 07-27-15, 04:40 AM
Vlad
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!
Old 03-31-18, 07:00 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Bringing back an old thread, but exactly what i was going to ask. My new to me 2014 didn't come with a the trailer wiring harness. I can see the factory wires underneath, just need to get the extension and the mount to the hitch. Is this the best option, to go with the OEM harness ?

Toyota Lexus Wiring Harness 82169-60080

This is what mine looks like

Last edited by LX5280; 04-01-18 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 04-01-18, 08:56 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The OEM harness you posted is pretty pricey. I'm assuming that it is interchangeable amony other Lexus models like the GX that are equipped for towing. If so, and if you're into auto salvage yard foraging, you might be able to easily pull the harness from a wreck for less money.

Also, don't forget that installing this connector and having a trailer plug receptacle does NOT automatically mean that you have electric trailer brake function. The LX will have to supply all the braking power for both itself and for the trailer you are pulling. Horse trailers and most other tandem axle trailers have trailer brakes. The inexpensive single axle big box store trailers that yard mowing services use typically don't have their own brakes.

For trailer brake function you need to also install a trailer brake controller unit. The connector for that is usually loose in the glove box when the LX is delivered. You'll need to remove the driver's side lower dash panel to find the receptacle that this connector plugs into. I've had 2 LXs, and the procedure to install the brake control unit took a few hours on each. The 2nd gen LX was easier because there was a good video posted on line that showed the whole process. I was on my own for the 3rd gen install.

Not difficult, but awkward, requiring time on your back on the floor wedged against the driver's seat, and Lexus manages to hide the plug very well, wrapped inside a wire loom so you really have to hunt for it. A good name brand brake control unit is around $125. If the connector is missing from your glove box, you can usually find one at an auto parts store - they generally stock GN, Ford, Ram, and Toyota connectors.

And if are towing a horse or enclosed trailer with the LX, you will find that those little side mirrors on the Lexus are almost useless. Here is a link to a nice set of towing mirrors for the LX. I had to have mine shipped from Australia, but they are now sold in the USA. They were fairly easy to install, since they re-use all the stock mirror mounting hardware and wiring. The first one took about 3 hours, and the second one less than an hour. Expensive at about $600 for the set, but they really do wonders for rear and side vision when towing.

https://clearviewmirrorsusa.com/towi...s/lexus-lx570/
Old 04-05-18, 10:37 AM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I now have Trailer Lights ! Thanks for the info, for now I don't plan to pull anything more than a U-Haul trailer every once in a while. Good to know about the mirrors and the electric brake trailer feature.
I found the Wiring Harness on eBay for $75 + shipping and hooked it up last night, put in the 4-pin lighted connector to test it and it works.

I also use these magnetic towing lights on the back of my Yakima Hold-Up Hitch bike rack when I have the extension on it to hold 4 bikes, adds some safety I think -
Magnetic Tow Lights

Last edited by LX5280; 04-05-18 at 10:40 AM. Reason: sp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer hookup question