LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 02:13 PM
Surfy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?

I will start the panamericana in the next days. This time without an specific time frame, or route plans. I will decide during the day - what I will do on the next day. I`m 40 now and always dreamed about an extended or big trip. There is no timeframe who looks perfect for something like that. In the early 20`s I had not enough money. Later the career don't called for an break. With 40 both doesn't looks better, to be honest. But sometimes we have to risk something.

Time is the most valuable what we have - why not risking something - to take time for ourself? We don't know if we are able to travel that way when we are retired. So I did quit my job and will start in the next days.

Here you can follow my journey:

http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

Like on our transafrica - I will report in SMS Style over my two-way satellite-Messenger - till I have an Internet connection to upload larger text and pictures. I hope to write on a daily base - but when travelling extended and without an exact schedule, this may be hard to write that often.

For the Transafrica I was well prepared, had a tight schedule, a booked car shipping homewards - I love the freedom who comes with the new trip!

My funds are not very high, but for overlanding you (should) not need much money. No Hotels, not much restaurant food, wild camping - helps to save money.

Why am here? Maybe you remember my thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...ng-africa.html

I will try too to keep you updated here. I hope to meet up with some travelers from here, and with members on my way up. Give me a note, if you see that I will cross your area!!

4x4tripping
Old 12-25-14, 06:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Be safe. Have fun!
Old 12-26-14, 01:37 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I will be jealously following your trip.

Be safe and have a great time.

I wish I could walk away from everything and do the same.
Old 01-06-15, 07:39 PM
Surfy
Driver

Thank you for your comments and Feedback! Now I`m since some days in Ushuaia, and are waiting for the arrival of my container who hopefully contains my car

I did feel the limitations of the live as Packpacker, who have to book Tours or use the official Bus-Lines. I miss the travelling liberty we have as self driving overlanders, to stop where we want, to rest where we want, to light a fire an enjoying the nature....

Unfortunately not just the Hotels and Hostels are fully booked, also the rental cars aren't available. I`m happy that I was able to book an Hotel, bevor for the last Rooms was sold for over 2500 USD/Week - here is high season.

More pictures and more detailed experiences you can find in the travel blog and diary:

Surfy
Old 01-07-15, 09:41 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Is the only modification to your AHC/AVS suspension the addition of the heavier duty armored shocks? At what weight addition to your stock rig did you feel you needed the higher capacity shocks? Keep us posted on your trip.
Old 01-14-15, 07:47 PM
Surfy
Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Is the only modification to your AHC/AVS suspension the addition of the heavier duty armored shocks? At what weight addition to your stock rig did you feel you needed the higher capacity shocks? Keep us posted on your trip.
No also stronger Springs was added, they are violet from toyota. In my car papers are Eibach named as manufacturer, but maybe this was just for legalisation.

I did start with just the stronger dampers but as i has load the car i feel that it was not enough. It was a last minute change 2 days before the transafrica...

---------

There are some new updates in the Blog - here just some short notes.

It is very relaxed to have enough time during traveling. I was a full week in Ushuaia, did a lot of trips, but also some days where I just walk through the city and relax. But I still miss my car - and hope that he arrive soon.

I did meet many interesting people, and start to get a feeling for traveling alone.

The catch of the day (out of the aquarium for shure). These Kingcrabs are.... Very tasty!

The animals you will not miss, if you visit Ushuaia

an amazing szenery seen on an booked 4x4 trip

another perspective of Ushuaia

The diary and a lot more of pictures you will find here: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

Surfy
Old 01-20-15, 03:22 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

What a great adventure, keep it coming and be safe
Old 01-28-15, 09:21 AM
Surfy
Driver

There happens a lot in the meantime. I did have a nice time in Buenos Aires, a very nice city! I like the city from the beginning.

I did a lot what i should not do as a tourist - running around at night with my camera, visiting "no-go" areas, using my smartphone to find my way and so on.

And finally I was able to get my car out of the Port of Zarate.

Everything went fine so far, the car is here, and everything sees to work fine.

Now I don't need a Hotel, don't have to fight about to get my meat "medium-rare" - I can do it by myself.

You can find my diary and a lot of more pictures at http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com
Old 01-28-15, 02:08 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Is that your 200 in the cargo box?
Old 02-21-15, 12:18 PM
Surfy
Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Is that your 200 in the cargo box?
Yeah, in the container was the 200 :-)

--------------------------------

Now I`m on the road since a while, have travelled through parts of argenina and chile.

There is a lot to read and a lot of pictures in the blog: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

I`m still writing any day my diary. Many thanks for the article about my journey
Old 03-19-15, 10:58 AM
Surfy
Driver

I don`t know where to start. There happens a lot in the meantime!

Let me show you some pictures as appetizer - at the bottom you will find the link to the daily diary and a lot of more pictures :-)

This pictures are a conclusion of my trip till Coyhaique

The daily diary and a lot more of pictures you will find here: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy :-)

4x4tripping
Old 04-13-15, 05:03 PM
Surfy
Driver

And one time more some Pictures. Shoot them on my way to Puerto Montt (Argentina and Chile):

More Pictures, my daily travel diary and about people I meet *- that you can find in the Blog:

Surfy
Old 04-16-15, 09:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Very nice images, indeed!

I hate you!

I am trapped at the office while you are having all the fun!

I am jealous as hell!
Old 04-16-15, 10:57 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm curious on your evaluation of the 200 series for this journey (this is a car forum after all).

- Where has the 200 series shined?
- Where/how has it let you down?

Many folks go out and travel in 40's and 80's and 100 series Cruisers, but the 200's are new, expensive, and have a lot of electronics. It would be interesting to know how the truck has held up to the challenges you've put it through. I do see it's in the shop in Bolivia, but can't tell what happened.

Great trip overall - thanks for the blog and photos.
Old 04-16-15, 08:57 PM
Surfy
Driver

@ggebhardt: Everything has a tradeoff. In some years I will jealous because you have a house/flat, where I spent my money for tripping

Originally Posted by Jacket
I'm curious on your evaluation of the 200 series for this journey (this is a car forum after all).

- Where has the 200 series shined?
- Where/how has it let you down?

Many folks go out and travel in 40's and 80's and 100 series Cruisers, but the 200's are new, expensive, and have a lot of electronics. It would be interesting to know how the truck has held up to the challenges you've put it through. I do see it's in the shop in Bolivia, but can't tell what happened.

Great trip overall - thanks for the blog and photos.
At first I love to drive. Did some 14day trips in Laos and Asia with rental cars, Hilux, Fortuner, Ford Ranger Pickup - all off them has limited drive comfort, limited power and Diesel 4 cylinders, had as rentals limited equipment (no lockers, winch, and so on).

My dream was a car with power, with driving comfort and at the same time also offroad capable.

The Land Cruiser 200 comes with an Diesel Bi-Turbo Engine, 289hp, 650nm, plenty of space, high driving comfort - and it is still a Land Cruiser. It is a damn pleasure to drive any single kilometer

Any repairs was caused by myself, doing too crazy offroad stuff. "Play hard, pay hard" is the right description. No single repair, out of the nowhere. *knock on wood*

What is important for traveling?

Offroad capability (if required)
Travel comfort (Aircon, good noise canceling, good seats)
Camping comfort (Sleeping, Cooking, Chilling)
Travel security (the probability of an accident is real), Airbags, ESP, ABS isn't really bad at all...
Worldwide Garage/Mechanics

The Land Cruiser 200 fits or? The hydraulic AHC Suspension is a dream on bad tracks. Adjustable height when it is necessary, adjustable dampers - what do you want more? Lifted cars are compared really bad, if you drive on bad side angles.

To much electronic? The time has changed, in any country the rich guys and the government drive modern cars, and you will a possibility to repair.

To be honest, how often the electronic really cause problems? This issues are rare. More often you will find broken suspension, broken chassis and so on.

An Land Cruiser 200 - or an Lexus LX570 (not sold in europe) - is just perfect for traveling in my eyes

I`m shure the LX570 would add even more driving comfort (noise canceling), but the fuel usage would be an issue on extended traveling with much weight. On the other side, the diesel option has his own problems.

Surfy

Quick Reply: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?