LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

About to purchase a GL350 over the LX570

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 03:44 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default About to purchase a GL350 over the LX570

Well, I thought I was going to be buying the LX570 this summer. I found a deal on a $85k MSRP 2013 model for $79.5k, but passed on it.

I just put in an order for a GL350 diesel. MSRP of $76k, for $71k. Price difference is not an issue here. Only thing that bothers me is the reliability. Towing with the GL should be better because of the torque 455, longer wheelbase, and MPG is much improved. Styling wise, it's a wash. The GL has a better 3rd row.

I'm sure there have been a few converts here too. any thoughts?
Old 07-17-13, 04:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
Well, I thought I was going to be buying the LX570 this summer. I found a deal on a $85k MSRP 2013 model for $79.5k, but passed on it.

I just put in an order for a GL350 diesel. MSRP of $76k, for $71k. Price difference is not an issue here. Only thing that bothers me is the reliability. Towing with the GL should be better because of the torque 455, longer wheelbase, and MPG is much improved. Styling wise, it's a wash. The GL has a better 3rd row.

Thanks for the opportunity to "second guess" your decision, which is a brave act!

My first thought is that the LX570 and the GL350 diesel are an unlikely comparison. It seems that towing is important, but would a 350 diesel "out-tow" a 570 V-8? Maybe, but I would be surprised.

My other thought is about mileage. Factor in the price of diesel fuel vs. premium gasoline and the difference gets slim to none ... we measure MPG, but we want low $PM ... dollars per mile.

You've already thought about the reliability concern of MB vs. Lexus, but what about diesel vs. gasoline. How does MB deal with the environmental restrictions on diesels, e.g., do they use a "special fluid" that must be replenished and what happens if you run out between service intervals?

Thanks again for the opportunity to comment and good luck with your decision!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-17-13, 05:32 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a 2010 GL450 and it is the most unbelievable machine ever built. I love it. You'll love it. I can't imagine having a new one. Is it a 2014? If so that is an excellent deal.
Old 07-17-13, 07:19 PM
raysmd
Driver

yes, it's a new 2014 model. The diesel is a much better option if one is not concern about 0-60 times.

LX570 383 hp / 403 ft-lbs
GL350 240hp / 455 ft-lbs

LX570 12/17 mpg (city/hwy)
GL350 19/26 mpg

Diesel and premium gas are similar in price these days. So, overall the diesel is better. The other reason diesel is better is for towing. The 455 ft-lbs really help. Although the LX570 is a truck on frame vs. unibody (GL350). I'm sure if I was towing everyday, the LX570 would last longer. Basically, I'm unsure of the MB reliability. With the LX, I can just drive it and not worry.
Old 07-18-13, 07:09 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

yes, it's a new 2014 model. The diesel is a much better option if one is not concern about 0-60 times.

LX570 383 hp / 403 ft-lbs
GL350 240hp / 455 ft-lbs

LX570 12/17 mpg (city/hwy)
GL350 19/26 mpg

Diesel and premium gas are similar in price these days. So, overall the diesel is better. The other reason diesel is better is for towing. The 455 ft-lbs really help. Although the LX570 is a truck on frame vs. unibody (GL350). I'm sure if I was towing everyday, the LX570 would last longer. Basically, I'm unsure of the MB reliability. With the LX, I can just drive it and not worry.
I can't speak for the new car's reliability as it has yet to be seen. However, our GL450 is fantastic. 56k of trouble-free miles. The car is an absolute tank and rocket in one. I MUCH prefer the unibody. Our last SUV was a Pathfinder- body on frame- and this corners amazingly. I let my wife borrow my 335i this week because I miss driving it. Although, the LX570 is just so beautiful too. Tough choice. I think i would go for the MB, though, for the MPG. 12/17 in this day and age of technology is no longer acceptable in my opinion.
Old 07-19-13, 06:23 PM
wernerlx57
Driver School Candidate

The GL does not like water, because the battery at least in my GL 350 (RHD Diesel YB 2011) was located underneath the driver seat.

My Mercedes died in the water!
Old 07-20-13, 08:05 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends in which conditions you usually tow. While the diesel have somewhat more torque (450 vs 400) it also massively lacks in HP (240 vs 383). Remember that HP is ultimately torque x RPM so I have no doubts the 5.7 will outdo the 3.5 diesel at highway speeds without breaking a sweat.
Old 07-20-13, 09:26 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

For mileage I would think the GL would be hard to beat.

How often do you tow....and how heavy is your load? With a light load you may not notice much of a difference.

For me, it's about the dealer experience. I have owned more than a few new German cars. The Lexus dealer experience at its worst is better than a good day at most MB service departments. I'm talking about cost, general customer treatment, etc. etc.

Hard to fault a luxury Toyota when it comes to reliability.

By the way, how many GL's do you see in a given day, vs. LX570?

my .02
Old 07-21-13, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Depends in which conditions you usually tow. While the diesel have somewhat more torque (450 vs 400) it also massively lacks in HP (240 vs 383). Remember that HP is ultimately torque x RPM so I have no doubts the 5.7 will outdo the 3.5 diesel at highway speeds without breaking a sweat.
The LX570 with the 5.7 will absolutely eat the MB engine alive.

Hoever it should be noted that both vehicles will have
No Issue moving 7000 lbs. For everyday towing, the MB will be better
Old 07-22-13, 09:01 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

We just left the German world and will never go back! Period!

We opted for the diesel technology as it had a 700 mile cruising range per tank. Lots of torque to pull the water toys.

The Germans do make an incredible automobile and the fit and finish are unbelievable. Reliability is not!

Diesel fuel is not cheap either. It's up to 60 cents a gallon more.

It's not the diesel engine of yester year that billow the black smoke and chatter like no one business nor the smell. It's the emission portion that's not up to par. The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) can be bought just about any place now. You have plenty of warning before the tank runs dry. Never ever had a issue with it running out. We had plenty of issues though with the DEF system itself. After 3 total replacements they bought it back. No argument either!

I'd stick with a gasser from now on!
Old 07-22-13, 11:15 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRDude
We opted for the diesel technology as it had a 700 mile cruising range per tank.
Do you have a 700 mile bladder? Me neither! On a long road trip like we just finished from Delaware to Michigan and back we look forward to frequent rest stops. If you need convincing, ask a urologist what "holding it" for 14 hours (700 miles at 50 MPH) will do to your 'plumbing'!

Short of an expedition into uncharted territory where fuel supplies are uncertain, cruising range is a worthless measure of a vehicle's utility. You live in Virginia and I live in Delaware ... neither of us need to worry about running out of fuel on the Interstate ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-23-13, 11:57 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I would get the 570 instead. Somehow I like the look of the 570 better than the minivan_ish of the GL. Yes, the GL wins hands down on gas mileage.

Who can drive 700 miles without taking a leak/stretch/foods?
Old 07-23-13, 01:33 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

We did not buy it for the cruising range nor the less frequent trips to the head or pump. We bought it to tow and that it did!

We put a butt load on miles on our vehicles as well and the diesel engines far exceed the gassers. It towed the 4500 Lbs. like a hot knife through a stick of butter. You never knew that much weight was behind you either. My wife is in sales and turns over 36K in 6 months. To a professional driver I'm sure that's nothing to the others I'm sure that unreachable even in their dreams.

The 700 mile cruising range was great as she would be in in the middle of no where real fast. Yes, there are plenty of diesel selling stations in the DC metro area but you don't find it in the middle of no where nor do you find a Benz shop in every city either! As me how many times the vehicle left her stranded and they had to have it towed. In the 6 months we owned it they had it for over 94 days. I'm not talking about dropping it off for a normal oil change, I'm talking about having it because it left her stranded. Parts all came from Germany.

Not only did the DEF systems fail it had a whole host of other issues too. Like I said before it was an incredible piece of metal and plastic, but reliability was awful at best. I can't speak for the gasser version only the diesel. We were talked into it by a friend that has one! After our saga was over I learned that his too was a PITA. We bought new, his was pre-owned so no lemon law for him. Sucks to be him!

We got all our money back and 1500 extra for the cause. They did not even buck the lemon clause. We had RO's that filled a 3-ring binder along with rental receipts that would choke a horse.

My wife is now in a fleet vehicle and we bought the 570 to tow the water toys.
Old 07-23-13, 01:51 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

On looks alone I will take the GL. LX570 is butt ugly on the highway...imo As far as reliable "lexus all the way"
Old 07-23-13, 02:50 PM
raysmd
Driver

Correct. The GL350 toes much better than the LX570, heck the landcruiser tows better than the LX. The torque is available on diesels at a much lower RPM.

Looks wise, I thinks it's a wash. The LX/LC is more rugged and reliable. How many are really going to take the LX rock crawling? Third row is better on the mercedes.

Let me tell you, there have been quite a few converts from the LX to the GL. I still have a while to decide, but it looks like the GL is the better choice when one wants to tow. Reliability is another question

Quick Reply: About to purchase a GL350 over the LX570