LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Blind spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 09:57 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind spot mirrors

I'm having a hard time getting overwhelmed with my LX570. In fact, I'm getting disappointed.

First, it was the ventilated seats, the switch shows blue, but it really is misleading because the seats don't cool, they just have little fans that push the cabin air.

Second, was the "Smart" key card, which I thought I could carry in my wallet as opposed to a key fob. It's really just an emergency key that you have to hold right against start button to use. That defeated the wallet idea. What is it for? Leave it in the glove box for the convenience of thieves?

Third, is the intermittent Bluetooth, USB and phone that perplexes me as to why it works sometimes and not others. I'm hopeful a few hours wasting my time and the dealer's time will fix that problem.

Fourth, is the pathetic lack of storage. Yes, my Land Cruiser lacked storage too.

Fifth, is a cool box that needs the AC running to function. How's that going to function on ski trips?

Now, I was in a friend's Honda minivan and he has side mirrors with blind spot indicators. And my 76 year old business partner's Volvo has more features than my LX570. I searched for blind spot mirrors for the 570 and the best I can do is a mirror sticker.

What happened to Lexus being a leader in features? There is absolutely no reason on earth that the 570 shouldn't have blind spot warning indicators. Less features than a minivan, a Volvo, a Grand Cherokee? I'm sure the list is longer. What gives?
Old 09-05-12, 03:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

DenverSC, you should of bought a Toyota Sequoia. No smart key and you get the blind spot monitors.
Old 09-05-12, 03:50 AM
LexTriton
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the Smart key card, double check that the battery is not dead. It should function as a normal key fob. If it only works when you hold it up to the dashboard, it's a telltale sign that the battery in the card is dead.
Old 09-05-12, 06:59 AM
DenverSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
DenverSC, you should of bought a Toyota Sequoia. No smart key and you get the blind spot monitors.
That's just my point! They can put the option on a vehicle that is half the cost but not their flagship brand and vehicle. Why?
Old 09-05-12, 07:03 AM
DenverSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexTriton
As far as the Smart key card, double check that the battery is not dead. It should function as a normal key fob. If it only works when you hold it up to the dashboard, it's a telltale sign that the battery in the card is dead.
I went to the dealer, he changed the battery and demonstrated the smart key saying it has to be held right next to the start button. I guess so it can be left in the glove box in the manual. That's smart for a car thief....
Old 09-05-12, 12:11 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DenverSC
I went to the dealer, he changed the battery and demonstrated the smart key saying it has to be held right next to the start button. I guess so it can be left in the glove box in the manual. That's smart for a car thief....
Your service representative was wrong. The manual indicates that it acts like the fob, but without buttons
Old 09-05-12, 01:23 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by John R.
Your service representative was wrong. The manual indicates that it acts like the fob, but without buttons
I would like to know if its defective. I watched him put a new battery in it and he still had to hold it immediately up against the Start Button to get it to start.

Ignoring interpretation of the manual, how does your Smart Card work. Can you walk up to your car and unlock the doors?
Old 09-05-12, 01:30 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I would like to know if its defective. I watched him put a new battery in it and he still had to hold it immediately up against the Start Button to get it to start.

Ignoring interpretation of the manual, how does your Smart Card work. Can you walk up to your car and unlock the doors?

I do not, ever, use the regular key fob when I drive the LX - only the Smart Card.

It works EXACTLY as if you had the key fob in your pocket: unlock by touching the handle, lock by pushing the button on the handle, and start the car normally.

If the replacement battery is good, then you have a defective Smart Card.

Agree with you on all other issues - a bit underwhelmed myself at this point, never mind that the drivetrain on the GX470 we replaced was so much smoother than this thing.

P.S. I cannot stand it when Service reps provide wrong information... It's so easy to look something up, ask or say "I don't know". I mean, why would anyone at Lexus in his/her right mind come up with such a dud of a Smart Card idea that would only work when held next to the Start/Stop button?
Old 09-05-12, 02:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That's just my point! They can put the option on a vehicle that is half the cost but not their flagship brand and vehicle. Why?
The blind spot monitor is only available on the fully loaded Platinum edition, the Platinum is not exactly half the cost but I do get your point. I agree with you, I am stunned that the feature is not available on the LX. I just can't figure out a logical reason as to why the LX does not have it.

As for the Sequoia having it, the Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition both have it on up scale trims.
Old 09-05-12, 03:28 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by caha14
I do not, ever, use the regular key fob when I drive the LX - only the Smart Card.

It works EXACTLY as if you had the key fob in your pocket: unlock by touching the handle, lock by pushing the button on the handle, and start the car normally.

If the replacement battery is good, then you have a defective Smart Card.

Agree with you on all other issues - a bit underwhelmed myself at this point, never mind that the drivetrain on the GX470 we replaced was so much smoother than this thing.

P.S. I cannot stand it when Service reps provide wrong information... It's so easy to look something up, ask or say "I don't know". I mean, why would anyone at Lexus in his/her right mind come up with such a dud of a Smart Card idea that would only work when held next to the Start/Stop button?
I noticed some slippage in the tranny when I was driving slowly up a hill to a BB King concert at Red Rocks. My Land Cruiser would have never rolled backward while in drive, but I had to apply the brake a number of times. I'm going to find a nice steep bill and try to replicate it while it's under warranty.

Thanks for the news on the Smart Card! I doubt they'll cover it as a warranty issue, but I'm going to have the remote start installed next week and I'll bring it up then and see what they say.
Old 09-05-12, 03:30 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The blind spot monitor is only available on the fully loaded Platinum edition, the Platinum is not exactly half the cost but I do get your point. I agree with you, I am stunned that the feature is not available on the LX. I just can't figure out a logical reason as to why the LX does not have it.

As for the Sequoia having it, the Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition both have it on up scale trims.
It's hard to understand why Lexus would have less features than a Tahoe.
Old 09-05-12, 03:48 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I noticed some slippage in the tranny when I was driving slowly up a hill to a BB King concert at Red Rocks. My Land Cruiser would have never rolled backward while in drive, but I had to apply the brake a number of times. I'm going to find a nice steep bill and try to replicate it while it's under warranty.

Thanks for the news on the Smart Card! I doubt they'll cover it as a warranty issue, but I'm going to have the remote start installed next week and I'll bring it up then and see what they say.
My pleasure! If the truck is still under warranty, they absolutely must cover it if it is defective, particularly if the key came with your truck (LL package) and you didn't just buy it separately.

Regarding the hill thing, I haven't noticed anything too unusual, other than if the idle is low, the LX is very heavy, and I would expect some rolling. My beef is more with the shifting of the tranny. It is not bad by any means; it's just that the 5-speed on the GX470 was way smoother and less clunky. Of course, driving my LS doesn't help those perceptions either... THAT is smooth!
Old 09-05-12, 09:10 PM
DarkStar12
Rookie

I only use the smart card as well, not the FOB's. It rides in my wallet and works great.

Agree with you on the ventilated seats, they suck.

No problems with my bluetooth whatsoever....

If you opt out of the coolbox...you get a TON more storage in the center console.
Old 09-08-12, 08:42 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Just filled in the Lexus survey, on my new LX-570. The "blind spot," or "lane change" mirrors were a point to quibble. Wife's MB S-550 AMG has those, and they are great.

Hunt
Old 09-09-12, 05:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

blind spot indicator - lol - i have a whole list of things lexus needs to do on their vehicles..

where have you been? lexus is WAY behind on all these features. go to bmw/mercedes for new innovation and technology. unfortunately, i would never drive one, so i will compromise on some high tech features for build quality on the lexi...

and strangely enough, these features are offered on the camry and some other toyotas. go figure

Quick Reply: Blind spot mirrors