LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

My Land Cruiser 200 Buildup for crossing Africa

Old 08-28-12, 09:57 AM
Surfy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Land Cruiser 200 Buildup for crossing Africa

Why a Topic about the Land Cruiser 200 in a Lexus Community? The europe spec Land cruisers have most of the stuff, that a lexus have in other countrys.

Therefore this goodies belongs on most Continents to the Lexus - it is maybe wort to post here too...

We plan to drive to southafrica, starting from switzerland - with our well equippend Land Cruiser 200 V8 Diesel (europe spec).

Europe Spec means - that he has some gimmicks who belongs at sample in australia or usa more to the lexus 570.

The V8 biturbo Diesel comes with 289 PS, 210kw and max torque 650 Nm / 479.05 lbft.

It have goodies like 8 Seats, AHC (Active Hight Control), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Crawl, JBL 14-speaker system, Iphone Integration, USB Connection, Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Navigation, Anti-theft system, Sunroof, 14 Airbags, Pre Crash Safety System, Four-zone automatic air-conditioning, Pollen filter / Clean air filter, Active Traction control (A-TRC) are some of the points.

I have now have merged my Website together with my Blog. You can translate the website to english, the link to the "translator" is on the right menü side, maye you have to scroll down a bit.

http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

I have done my best to compress the informations - so it isnt so much stuff to read.

How do you like my idea / plan with the rear-box? Overkill? Or should i go better with a roof storage / cargo box?

I hope you enjoy
Old 09-04-12, 10:57 AM
Surfy
Driver

Now the sleeping plattform building phase has started!

When you have ideas or suggestions - jet is the time to wrote them, because changes are still possible.

More pictures and news of the progress, you can find in the blog @ http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de in the section "sleeping platform" or "Schlafplattform"

When you have additional ideas or solutions - write em!

Surfy
Old 09-12-12, 04:17 AM
Surfy
Driver

And we come near the finish state soon

`

More pictures you`ll find at the website!

Surfy
Old 09-17-12, 12:27 AM
Surfy
Driver

At Friday i could pickup the car. It dont is really finished - but for a first testing trip it was finished enough.

Therefore we had plans for friday night (Swiss cheese Fondue with friends) - we decide to do a one night trip from samedy to sunday.
Also it is the first night for my Girlfriend - and i hope she will like it - so it is better to stay only one night out.

We still have not choosen how we will cook in africa (Gas, Petroleum), dont have a table - and have to improvise a bit.

So we bought a disposable grill, a big torch, and start pretty late as we reached the lake

And we have to cross the mountain pass. But we found a nice spot at daylight, but till the fire light - the night was there. Just in time, i would say.

The starts in the sky are so bright in the mountains - beautiful. But it get cold too, arround 5 Celsius degrees - good to have a fire!

We sleep very well inside, and push two times the webasto parking heater, that warms the car quickly without beeing too loud.

We sleeped very well, and wake up pretty late arround 10 o clock. Now it was time to show my girlfriend, that all neccecary stuff is there - it was.

And we had get a really beatiful place on a small creek!

We cross the area for the rest of our day

More pictures you find in my blog @ http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

Surfy
The following users liked this post:
roshko (02-28-21)
Old 09-21-12, 06:16 AM
Surfy
Driver

I have now more pictures online - from the storage room below of the sleeping area. The buildup nears the finish state:

To get the visas is a real pain - but since yesterday we have both our 2nd passport - and should be able to get a faster progress!

more informations: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

Surfy
Old 09-24-12, 12:35 AM
ossme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice, I would like to see more details ..
Old 10-11-12, 08:25 AM
Surfy
Driver

Here our planned route:

Now the countdown nears his end.

The Visa situation gets better - just two of them are missing - and then we have every single visa we need!

Surfy
Old 10-11-12, 10:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks awesome, on a sidenote on a trip like that i would definitely consider bringing a gun
Old 10-12-12, 07:27 AM
SirCrush32
Driver School Candidate

I agree with him ^^^^^^^
Old 10-25-12, 08:45 AM
5fourteye
Driver School Candidate

Any details on removing the second row?
I have a customer that wants the larger half of the second row removed, but we will get the airbag warning lights if we remove them.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-25-12, 09:12 AM
Surfy
Driver

Unfortunately a weapon brings us just into the jail - there are to many borders for something like this. Also some pepper spray is prohibited in some countrys
And when you think there is no technic - they have usually several hours of no electricity a day (in some of the countrys we will cross) - but an X-ray on the border - with generator - they have...

5fourteye: there seems to be two ways, to avoid the airbag warning:

1.) To put some resistors in the sensor line

2.) program it within the software

In my car the 1.) is done. I dont have done it myself - but would suggest you ask them where the people should know it:

http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 More know-how about our car you dont find in another english speaking community. Ask there for details - the way will work on the Lexus too.

Surfy
Old 10-30-12, 10:17 AM
Surfy
Driver

It gets cold here - time to leave!

In 14 days we start - have now also the last Visa in our Pockets!

more informations: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

Surfy

Last edited by Surfy; 10-30-12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 05:36 AM
Surfy
Driver

And we are still on to complete our equipement...

The company who sold me the roofbox burned down - with my paid box - but they are able to reorder one. Thats the reason - why the building is that black. But it is nice for contrast.

It isnt really a beautiful solution, if you ask me.. But we need the cargo space - and it has to be dust and waterproof

Surfy
Old 12-07-12, 11:53 AM
Surfy
Driver

We have reached Brazzaville, Congo today. Internet is still to bad for pictures.

But our Blog is up to date.

http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

Surfy
Old 12-21-12, 03:50 AM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Awesome!

Very awesome! Keep having a safe trip! I really would love to do this one day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Land Cruiser 200 Buildup for crossing Africa