Tarponcast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ... Bon Voyage & Safe Travels !!!
Old 01-01-13, 12:47 PM
Surfy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have finished the Transafrica, by arriving Capetown. Our daily diary is now completed and Online in our blog @ http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

We have to review our pictures, and we will add some pictures to each day in the next weeks.

The Land Cruiser 200 has taken the hard road, and he has to get some service back at home.

He had taken more bad roads than i though as i plan the trip - and i`m wondering, what kind of stuff need a repair.

We had to replace the front windscreen, and it is broken again now (both times hit by stones). Also we have a killed fog light glass, had to replace the fuel filter and the airfilter once. Toyota did an excellent job with the Land Cruiser 200!

Surfy
Old 01-08-13, 05:39 AM
Surfy
Driver

Meanwhile, we are back home.

It was a wonderful time that passed quickly - but still was not short.We both travel-saturated - not oversaturated - but it was a welcome end - and we were again on our daily lives and our work.
We thought that we would need another beach-holidays after this trip (because it would be stress) - but we arrive very relaxed at home.

Nor was it to "large workload" of miles - we decided in Namibia - to go for a snifter to Botswana - and have extended the trip by a nearly quarter (additional 4 `500km).
This is probably only a good ride comfort of our travel vehicle combination also a matter of attitude.

We would tackle on such a trip again similar - and more time – would also allow to see more.

The Daily "on the move" and still have a lot of breaks - was beautiful!

Now only hope that Brummie (the Land Cruiser) does not generate much service costs - he has already suffered a bit, but fought very bravely.

Tonight I'm going to summarize and publish the first trip statistics. And many thanks to those who send us messages within our satellite Messager. It was nice to know that some “travel” with us. Not always, we were able to assign the messages to the sender, because the Delorme sent always as “4x4reisend”

Our Blog: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

Surfy

Last edited by Surfy; 01-08-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 01:28 AM
Surfy
Driver

We are still sorting our pictures - here some kind of preview

Surfy
Old 02-25-13, 10:08 AM
Surfy
Driver

We have for each day some pictures online
Old 02-25-13, 11:42 AM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome home!! Glad you made it home safe. What an incredible journey!
Old 02-28-13, 06:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks incredible, I have always wanted to do something like this, but i have never really known where i would go, or find the time haha
Old 02-28-13, 06:56 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

navigating around NYC is hard enough already..seems like every cabbie is out there to hit your car! everyone is always soo Aggressive.
Originally Posted by gray_es300
Looks incredible, I have always wanted to do something like this, but i have never really known where i would go, or find the time haha
Old 02-28-13, 06:58 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Good Stuff! did you run into any issues?
Originally Posted by Surfy
We are still sorting our pictures - here some kind of preview

Surfy
Old 05-15-13, 02:21 PM
Surfy
Driver

One flat tyre, one Fuel filtre to replace - and one windscreen to replace - no other issues

I work on an english Version of the Blog, but i just had finished day 16/32 till now

Surfy
Old 12-25-14, 06:48 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

So bottom line you drove over 10k miles through Africa at an average speed of around 35 miles per hour in a 200 series that has the same AHC/AVS suspension as our LX570's here in the USA. No problems with the suspension plus you added draws and a bumper and travel gear. Everyone here in the USA that wants to go off road buys the LC200 with the regular shocks I think they are scared to take the AHC/AVS model off road.
Old 12-25-14, 08:40 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
So bottom line you drove over 10k miles through Africa at an average speed of around 35 miles per hour in a 200 series that has the same AHC/AVS suspension as our LX570's here in the USA. No problems with the suspension plus you added draws and a bumper and travel gear. Everyone here in the USA that wants to go off road buys the LC200 with the regular shocks I think they are scared to take the AHC/AVS model off road.
I think over at IH8MUD he stated that his vehicle fully loaded came at 3.8 tons so he used beefed up AHC components.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc-...oblems.821830/
Old 12-25-14, 09:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quadro
I think over at IH8MUD he stated that his vehicle fully loaded came at 3.8 tons so he used beefed up AHC components.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc-...oblems.821830/
That's right as he built it up and made it heavier looks like he added AHC armour shocks. Would love more detail.
Old 12-26-14, 08:03 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
That's right as he built it up and made it heavier looks like he added AHC armour shocks. Would love more detail.
Yeah show me a unibody Range Rover loaded up to 3.8 tons all while surviving a transafrica trip... there is just no comparison how LC is a far better build SUV.
Old 12-26-14, 11:57 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Surfy
Why a Topic about the Land Cruiser 200 in a Lexus Community? The europe spec Land cruisers have most of the stuff, that a lexus have in other countrys.

Therefore this goodies belongs on most Continents to the Lexus - it is maybe wort to post here too...

We plan to drive to southafrica, starting from switzerland - with our well equippend Land Cruiser 200 V8 Diesel (europe spec).

Europe Spec means - that he has some gimmicks who belongs at sample in australia or usa more to the lexus 570.

The V8 biturbo Diesel comes with 289 PS, 210kw and max torque 650 Nm / 479.05 lbft.

It have goodies like 8 Seats, AHC (Active Hight Control), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), Crawl, JBL 14-speaker system, Iphone Integration, USB Connection, Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Navigation, Anti-theft system, Sunroof, 14 Airbags, Pre Crash Safety System, Four-zone automatic air-conditioning, Pollen filter / Clean air filter, Active Traction control (A-TRC) are some of the points.

I have now have merged my Website together with my Blog. You can translate the website to english, the link to the "translator" is on the right menü side, maye you have to scroll down a bit.

http://transafrica2012.blogspot.de

I have done my best to compress the informations - so it isnt so much stuff to read.

How do you like my idea / plan with the rear-box? Overkill? Or should i go better with a roof storage / cargo box?

I hope you enjoy
Can you explain how your AHC/AVS was modified? Did you just change the AHC shocks? Add heavier springs? Etc.

Quick Reply: My Land Cruiser 200 Buildup for crossing Africa