LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

clear bra install from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 11:20 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default clear bra install from dealer?

I just wonder anyone whose has the clear bra install from the dealer, i got quote from the dealer for complete front end on my new 13 LX, $940 plus tax, and they said the third party would use the 3m film? but they cover lifetime warranty, and I got quoted from one of the local shop for $750 + tax for ful front end too, and they use the Suntext film? never that before, but they also have lifetime warranty too, but the thing I afraid is would the shop business would go out business in the short time? the dealer alway there, but for $200 more and free loaner car, what do you thing?
Old 06-16-12, 06:22 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither of those films have a lfietime warranty... so both are lying to you. 3M and Suntek both have 5 years warranties... I install the new Suntek film and it is hands down better than 3M. It has a self healing top coat so scratches heal with a little heat. The only film out there with a lifetime warratny is Avery Nano Fusion... and i cant get it right now since they havent made any since October. Eigther way 5 years is more than likely longer than you are going to keep the car... and film will last many years longer if you take care of it. Most dealerships contract out the work to a local shop and add their markup. So your better going with a shop directly if you can see their work in person.
Old 06-16-12, 07:12 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Neither of those films have a lfietime warranty... so both are lying to you. 3M and Suntek both have 5 years warranties... I install the new Suntek film and it is hands down better than 3M. It has a self healing top coat so scratches heal with a little heat. The only film out there with a lifetime warratny is Avery Nano Fusion... and i cant get it right now since they havent made any since October. Eigther way 5 years is more than likely longer than you are going to keep the car... and film will last many years longer if you take care of it. Most dealerships contract out the work to a local shop and add their markup. So your better going with a shop directly if you can see their work in person.
Thanks, yeah I stop one of the local shop and check out the Suntek film, it is not glossy, it like Matt, but I saw the venture shield film it has shiny to it, it look good, but they said they can't get them any more, so the Suntek is a good quality film?
Old 06-18-12, 03:25 AM
PTmobile
Driver

The Suntek film is as glossy as any film out there. It is also perfectly smooth. After installing VentureShield Ultra for the last 9 years I have switched over to this film because its that good. Down here in Texas we have a lot of bugs (especially this year) and one thing about Ventureshield is if you dont keep a good sealant on the film and wipe the bugs off within a couple of days the film will get etched by the bug juices. This doesnt happen with the Suntek film... so it works much better down here. Its a great overall film. Make sure you are getting the COATED film... not the standard uncoated. Big difference in durability.
Old 06-18-12, 09:02 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

The Suntek film is as glossy as any film out there. It is also perfectly smooth. After installing VentureShield Ultra for the last 9 years I have switched over to this film because its that good. Down here in Texas we have a lot of bugs (especially this year) and one thing about Ventureshield is if you dont keep a good sealant on the film and wipe the bugs off within a couple of days the film will get etched by the bug juices. This doesnt happen with the Suntek film... so it works much better down here. Its a great overall film. Make sure you are getting the COATED film... not the standard uncoated. Big difference in durability.
thanks for a great info on the film yet I would ask them is it the COATED film? and I hope it is, should I get the whole hood? i am planning to get full front end, but it just part of the hood, hope they can pre-cut the whole hood?
Old 06-19-12, 03:30 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Make sure to ask for coated film really anytime you get a celar bra. Just about every brand makes a coated and un coated line of film and some installers will go cheap and install uncoated film. You wont see this with a good installer though. I would get the entire hood done as it gives you complete protection and is much easier to maintain. No edges to worry about getting wax buildup in. Also bulking the full hood is easy as all they need to do is take a large sheet and wrap the edges under the hood. Hope this helps you out. If you get an install doen let us know how it comes out. People are always looking for good installers and positive feedback helps others out in the future.
Old 06-19-12, 08:49 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

thanks I would contact them today here is the link I saw they did and post on youtube
http://aapcolumbus.com/productinfo.html

Make sure to ask for coated film really anytime you get a celar bra. Just about every brand makes a coated and un coated line of film and some installers will go cheap and install uncoated film. You wont see this with a good installer though. I would get the entire hood done as it gives you complete protection and is much easier to maintain. No edges to worry about getting wax buildup in. Also bulking the full hood is easy as all they need to do is take a large sheet and wrap the edges under the hood. Hope this helps you out. If you get an install doen let us know how it comes out. People are always looking for good installers and positive feedback helps others out in the future.
Old 06-20-12, 03:51 AM
PTmobile
Driver

From looking at their website I would say go with Avery Nano fusion. The only thing to watch out for is Avery has not made ANY Nano Fusion film since October.... so basically no one has any right now. If they do it means they arent selling much in the way of clear bras. Take a look at the film before they install it. Should come with a nearly clear backing that is a smooth plastic. The standard Avery film (you want to stay away from) has a paper backing. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 06-20-12, 10:33 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

From looking at their website I would say go with Avery Nano fusion. The only thing to watch out for is Avery has not made ANY Nano Fusion film since October.... so basically no one has any right now. If they do it means they arent selling much in the way of clear bras. Take a look at the film before they install it. Should come with a nearly clear backing that is a smooth plastic. The standard Avery film (you want to stay away from) has a paper backing. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
like what they told me that they use only Suntek film now, is it good enough? thanks
Old 06-21-12, 03:34 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Yes, its a great film and I have switched to it primarily. I will carry the Nano film as well when it comes back out... between those two you cant go wrong.
Old 06-21-12, 05:48 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Yes, its a great film and I have switched to it primarily. I will carry the Nano film as well when it comes back out... between those two you cant go wrong.
Thanks for your help
Old 06-23-12, 10:12 PM
skipro01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
I just wonder anyone whose has the clear bra install from the dealer, i got quote from the dealer for complete front end on my new 13 LX, $940 plus tax, and they said the third party would use the 3m film? but they cover lifetime warranty, and I got quoted from one of the local shop for $750 + tax for ful front end too, and they use the Suntext film? never that before, but they also have lifetime warranty too, but the thing I afraid is would the shop business would go out business in the short time? the dealer alway there, but for $200 more and free loaner car, what do you thing?
I had the dealership had it installed on my LX 570. Whatever Lexus sells I used, that was a year ago and it still looks great on my white paint.

FWIW> I am a skier and I previously owned a LX 470 and got behind a sanding truck here in the mountains and it trashed my paint Glass everything. It cost S.F. Ins $12K to repaint everything but the tailgate, windshield, headlights, grill the works. A year later another sander and this one cost them $8K for a paint job and headlights only. At that time I paid out of pocket for the 3 M material to be installed. Experienced many more sander but no damage. The rocks and sand just bounced off the 3 M material, even off of the Glass headlights that I also had the 3M material on. I had that car for another 4 years and that material still looked great when I traded it in for my LX 570.

I am a believer, it is well worth the expense.
Old 06-24-12, 06:59 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, I think I would invest money into it, but I still tempting to use money on 2011 f-sport front bumper upgrade for my 07 IS350.

Originally Posted by skipro01
I had the dealership had it installed on my LX 570. Whatever Lexus sells I used, that was a year ago and it still looks great on my white paint.

FWIW> I am a skier and I previously owned a LX 470 and got behind a sanding truck here in the mountains and it trashed my paint Glass everything. It cost S.F. Ins $12K to repaint everything but the tailgate, windshield, headlights, grill the works. A year later another sander and this one cost them $8K for a paint job and headlights only. At that time I paid out of pocket for the 3 M material to be installed. Experienced many more sander but no damage. The rocks and sand just bounced off the 3 M material, even off of the Glass headlights that I also had the 3M material on. I had that car for another 4 years and that material still looked great when I traded it in for my LX 570.

I am a believer, it is well worth the expense.
Old 07-31-12, 09:48 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Default Clear Bra

My dealer in Phoenix quoted me US $ 1,300 for the full front clear bra, so I guess that you got a good price, as I also have a '13 LX-570. Where are you located?

I got that for wife's last two MB S-class sedans, and on the black, it was great. The first car had about 70K on it, with not one nick. Her '10 AMG S still looks perfect.

Though it sounds like I am getting hosed for US $ 400, I will go for it.

I also install similar on the headlamps of her MB's, and on my older Landcruiser, and they have worked perfectly - not one nick, or break, in many miles of roads with gravel and "stuff."

Now, if I could get that for my windshield, which has been blown out three times, and all within about 10 miles of each other, on I-40 out of Flagstaff... Well, that is why I have 100% glass replacement.

Hunt
Old 08-01-12, 06:42 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Partially predicated on this thread, I contacted my Lexus seller in New Orleans, plus two other dealerships in my area of Arizona. The prices for the full clear-bar, including mirrors was from US $ 725 to $ 925 - other than my closest dealer, who wants US $ 1,400 + for the same thing!

Heck, I might be inclined to drive 1,500 miles each way, and just have it done in New Orleans - where I should have ordered it done initially, but things happened too quickly.

Interesting how a certified Lexus dealer would charge just short of 100% additional, for the same operation.

Hunt

Quick Reply: clear bra install from dealer?