LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Why the big ticket services are so important?

Old 05-19-12, 10:00 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why the big ticket services are so important?

Hey guys! I just had a question, why are the 15K, 30K, 60K, 90K, and so on are so important. I already know that they are to keep your LX running smooth. I want to show my dad this thread, because he likes to believes that all you need to do is do a basic service every 5K miles, he says all these big ticket services are a waste of money. He thinks the dealers just list them so they can take our money. I already know the dealers that are going to get my business are not sponsors of CL, so can guys list some reasons so I can brain wash him that they are important
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
Old 06-18-12, 01:45 PM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe on reason is that because so many of these cars are leased, it is in their best interest to make sure the cars are optimally cared for. This way they can put them back on the lot as "Certified Pre-Owned".
Old 06-18-12, 02:24 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because preventative maintenance is cheaper than corrective maintenance.
Old 06-18-12, 08:58 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

those services is kinda a waste money, all you have to change the engine oil every 5K and make sure you use synthic oil, and air filter every 20K and use premium gas, it would last you a long time, all my family cars last over 100k before I put more money into spark lugs, and never on the timming belt or drive belts, and all of those now over 100K miles
Old 06-25-12, 09:33 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

MjThind,
The 15K, 30K, 60K and 90K services are so important because it gives the technicians (who are experts in Lexus technology) a chance to make sure your vehicle lasts as long as possible. These services include changing oil and oil filter, tire rotation, road test, replacing engine air filter and AC filters, and checking brake fluid as well as inspecting brake fluid, brakes, steering linkages, ball joints, dust covers, drive shaft boots, and chassis nuts and bolts, exhaust pipes and mountings, transmission and differential oil, rack and pinion assembly for leakage, fuel tank cap and gasket, fuel lines and connections, and vapor vent systems. Letting the experts take a good look at your vehicle is crucial to its longevity. In order to get the most out of your LX, I would definitely recommend stopping by the dealership to ensure that your Lexus lives a long and happy life.

Shannon at Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, Texas
Old 08-01-12, 09:51 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

My 2010 is on route from California right now! She'll be here Friday! One owner, silver/tan, premium luxury package and 30,000 miles. I sold my SC last year for a '07 911 T4S, and I'm selling my beloved and dear old friend '98 Land Cruiser now as the LX ships. (The Land Cruiser still drives perfectly taught after 137,000 miles).

I think there is probably some overkill, like why not use compressed air for cleaning filters? A visual inspection should be part of a service by an alert and trained mechanic. The schedule sheets just help them understand which items that don't pop out as problems should be checked.

But this is pretty funny and it must be a translation issue! Check out what we should be doing daily with the LX-570: Maintenance Requirements
Old 08-03-12, 04:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 375 Posts

The 15K, 30K, 60K and 90K services are really the only time your vehicle is really serviced.

The 5K visits change you oil and add windshield washing fluid and that is about it. These major services take care of way more than that.

I trade often so I never see the 30K service, it is expensive but it all depends on how long you are going to keep your vehicle. At the least resale value would be better if you can show you had all the service done at Lexus but if you trade it in like me . . . . . . .
Old 08-03-12, 06:34 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Originally Posted by DenverSC
I'm selling my beloved and dear old friend '98 Land Cruiser now as the LX ships. (The Land Cruiser still drives perfectly taught after 137,000 miles).

I think there is probably some overkill, like why not use compressed air for cleaning filters? A visual inspection should be part of a service by an alert and trained mechanic. The schedule sheets just help them understand which items that don't pop out as problems should be checked.

But this is pretty funny and it must be a translation issue! Check out what we should be doing daily with the LX-570: Maintenance Requirements
I also go for overkill. However, my '83 FJ-60 gave me 450,000+ heavy-duty, and trouble-free miles. The engine, tranny, diffs, axels and most of the rest of the truck were untouched. The carb was not even unsealed, until about 325,000 miles.

Just sold my '00 Landcruiser (great vehicle), and though it only had 66,000 miles, and not even one of those off-road (unlike the '83, that probably saw 60K in VERY off-road situations), I did the oil change on time, and not miles, as I was driving so little. I had all the majors, when due on mileage. Other than two power antennas, and one set of brake pads, it was otherwise untouched. Hope that it goes to a great home.

I plan on doing every maintenance (and probably oil changes on dates, not miles), as they come due on the LX. Just the way that I do things.

Hunt
Old 08-04-12, 04:57 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Hunt,

I have sent you a PM message. Thanks.

Fred
Old 08-04-12, 07:58 AM
DenverSC
Rookie

Good friends of mine have been waiting to buy my Land Cruiser for years because they know how meticulous I am about upkeep. This will be the third vehicle I've sold to them over the past 15 years. I rarely have more than one or two people look at one of my cars before it sells. When they see the condition, I discuss where everything is on the vehicle and pull out a folder of all maintenance the deal is usually done. I know dealers have a lot of volume, but records are important. Ferrari owners are great about maintaining service records because it is imperative to maintain those cars (and it's costly, annual $1,200, 3 year/30M $5,000). I recently passed on a 97 550 Maranello with 11,000 miles (awesome cars, awesome values) due to the lack of service records.

Last Saturday morning I had the oil changed and fluids checked on my good old Land Cruiser and I was stressed because it was 3,350 mikes since the last change. The shop said the recommended service is 5,000 miles and I told him no, I want it every 3,000 miles. I changed it even though I knew I was buying another vehicle to replace it that same day.

Porsche recommends an oil change (mobil 1) every 15,000 miles for my 911. I change mine annually which is about 6,000 miles. Am I throwing away money? I look at it as a prudent thing to do to protect the money I've spent on my vehicles.

With every car I buy, the first thing I do is change all the fluids to establish my base line with the car.
Old 08-04-12, 04:07 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Fred,

Got that. "You've got mail." The truck is in Manhattan Beach, CA, at John Elway Toyota, but if that is an option for you, I gave you the contact's number.

It was a great truck, and I will miss it. Should you find it viable, it comes with both volumes of the Landcruiser Shop Manuals, and I can also get a printout of all service done on the vehicle. I did not bother with that, with it going to a dealer.

Good luck,

Hunt
Old 08-04-12, 04:10 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

DenverSC,

With my old Landcruiser, it was always at 3K miles, but that came up quickly, and often.

With my recent unit, it was right at 3K too, but was mainly due to time, as instead of every 2 mos. max, it was 6 - 7 mos.. It just did not get driven that much, and never even saw a gravel road - for any Landcruiser, that is sinful.

Hunt
Old 12-23-12, 09:10 AM
LXGXFJ
Driver School Candidate

NOTE TO SELF:
Don't buy a used vehicle from ohiois350.

These "recommended" services are important to prevent major expenses down the road. That's why even on industrial equipment, and basically anything mechanical, has PM recommendations. PM, being PREVENTATIVE Maintenance.