LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

gave up on the 2013 Lx570, bought an Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 07:05 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gave up on the 2013 Lx570, bought an Infiniti

After shopping in the large luxury SUV category, I decided to buy a QX56. Here’s what I shopped and my impressions:

GL550-owned one. Hated it. Miserable owner and dealer experience. This SUV was the least ergonomically friendly vehicle I’d ever owned. You load the rear DVD under the back passenger seat? Who thought of that stupid design? The ipod integration was in the glove box. Who wants their ipod in the glovebox? It spent more time being repaired than on the road. I’ll never forget being out in the boonies and the car just died at a stop sign.

Land Cruiser-traded in a 2011 for the QX. Very nice but missing a lot of luxury amenities for the price. I paid for a lot of off road capability I will never use. The ride was somewhat harsh, but I had 22” wheels and low profile tires which could account for that. The steering and handling was great and the interior was top notch, although not luxurious. The exterior styling is bland with the comment I got most often being “nice Highlander”.

Range Rover-definitely has brand cache. Luxurious and I like the looks. But I live 100 miles from a dealer and couldn’t stand the idea of hanging out in the service department waiting room while they fixed it all the time. And after my experience with the Mercedes, I knew reliability was a factor for me.

Escalade-drives and rides very nice. The interior was the worst in it’s class, reminding me of trucks from 20 years ago. I hated the side step that extends and retracts. And it was missing a lot of the technology and luxury amenities that I was looking for. And there’s tons of these around.

LX570-a little bland, but a much better design for 2013. Top notch in every way and I would have been very happy owning one. Interior is a-plus. But you’re paying a hefty premium for the Lexus name and dealers were not willing to budge on price or trade in value of my Land Cruiser. Probably would have bought one if they had been more willing to deal.

QX56-although I have the money to buy the LX, the fact that the QX was $20k less and has all the luxury amenities of the Lexus made this car a great choice. The exterior styling is a point of contention for many, but I for one like it and I like the very different look of this large SUV. The drive and handling is superb and the acceleration was amazing. The interior quality is fantastic. The dealer I bought from (Sacramento Infiniti) was one of the best buying experiences I’ve ever had and it was like night and day from dealing with Lexus dealers. No pressure, great price, and they gave me a super trade in value. I only paid $500 over invoice and I think I could have done better, but I’m very happy with my deal. The fact that the 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor was a wonderful added bonus since I only use them about once a year. I got a fully loaded 4wd with theater package, technology package, touring package and wheel and tire package for about $70k.
Old 02-27-12, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am surprised on the LC. if you post it up on craigslist or try carmax, you should have gotten good money

don't believe what kbb tells you though

congrats on the qx!!!!
Old 02-27-12, 02:45 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicky,
Great information. I enjoyed your thought process. Is the Infinity a full frame? What is the gas milage anticipated? Have fun.
John
Old 02-27-12, 04:47 PM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John R.
Chicky,
Great information. I enjoyed your thought process. Is the Infinity a full frame? What is the gas milage anticipated? Have fun.
John
Thanks.

It's a body-on-frame. Expected gas mileage is 14/20
Old 02-27-12, 06:11 PM
VSL-F
Driver

Congrats on the purchase! I will be in the market for a SUV later in the year and I've been considering the LC, LX570, and Q56. I haven't test driven any of them yet, but all the reviews that I've read have been very positive toward the Q56. You definitely get a lot for the buck!
Old 02-28-12, 05:53 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by chicky
Thanks.

It's a body-on-frame. Expected gas mileage is 14/20
LOL, Thats what my Ram gets, I would be curious to know if you actually hit those numbers, if you do, I might like for a QX in the future. I like them, and am used to $100 fill-ups so no shock there LOL.

Does it have cylinder deactivation? Just curious if thats an option on those.

Congrats on your purchase! Great Choice!
Old 02-28-12, 06:25 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
LOL, Thats what my Ram gets, I would be curious to know if you actually hit those numbers, if you do, I might like for a QX in the future. I like them, and am used to $100 fill-ups so no shock there LOL.

Does it have cylinder deactivation? Just curious if thats an option on those.

Congrats on your purchase! Great Choice!

I don't think it has cylinder deactivation....

I got about 12 mpg city with the LC, so I'm used to the poor gas mileage. A cost of driving such a big vehicle.
Old 02-28-12, 08:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I test drove a Q and it seemed rather under powered and clumsy.

It took me a little while to get used to the "looks" of my 2008 LX after being in the 470 for so many years. I do not ever think I could get used to the Q exterior looks. The interior fit and finish was lacking. Even the paint couild not match my 2011 LX.
Old 02-28-12, 07:09 PM
kelv2888
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I test drove a Q and it seemed rather under powered and clumsy.

It took me a little while to get used to the "looks" of my 2008 LX after being in the 470 for so many years. I do not ever think I could get used to the Q exterior looks. The interior fit and finish was lacking. Even the paint couild not match my 2011 LX.
Good to hear! Makes me feel like I made the right choice as well with my 2011 lx.
Old 02-29-12, 06:39 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

I think it looks most like the Toyota Sequoia as far as styling. I agree the styling is unique and bold, and for some that is an advantage.

Being that the QX has more hp and torque than the LX and the QX weighs less, I am surprised you found it underpowered.

I didn't find any of the vehicles I reviewed above clumsy. I think a certain amount of "big car" feel is expected with these rigs. The LX is a superb choice and I probably would have bought one had I been able to make even close to reasonable deal, but I didn't feel like paying an extra $20k for the Lexus name. The 8 dealers I spoke to all acted as if they were doing me a favor by selling me a Lexus. That's not the feeling I like to have when I'm spending 70-90 thousand dollars.

Good thing we all have choices!

Last edited by chicky; 02-29-12 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 07:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chicky
I think it looks most like the Toyota Sequoia as far as styling. I agree the styling is unique and bold, and for some that is an advantage.

Being that the QX has more hp and torque than the LX and the QX weighs less, I am surprised you found it underpowered.

I didn't find any of the vehicles I reviewed above clumsy. I think a certain amount of "big car" feel is expected with these rigs. The LX is a superb choice and I probably would have bought one had I been able to make even close to reasonable deal, but I didn't feel like paying an extra $20k for the Lexus name. The 8 dealers I spoke to all acted as if they were doing me a favor by selling me a Lexus. That's not the feeling I like to have when I'm spending 70-90 thousand dollars.

Good thing we all have choices!
Usually Toyota and Lexus vehicles cost a premium over the competition.

If I am correct, the QX is a rebadged Nissan.

And in all honesty, aside from the Infiniti nameplate, the QX competes with a Platinum Sequoia in that both QX and Sequoia are designed similar with very similar features compared to the LX
Old 02-29-12, 08:50 AM
chicky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Usually Toyota and Lexus vehicles cost a premium over the competition.

If I am correct, the QX is a rebadged Nissan.

And in all honesty, aside from the Infiniti nameplate, the QX competes with a Platinum Sequoia in that both QX and Sequoia are designed similar with very similar features compared to the LX
Yes the qx is based on the Nissan patrol, which is not available in the US. It's actually a highly sought after off road vehicle with some in the states importing it for its capabilities. That means little to me however!

I would agree that the QX competes with the sequoia, however having owned a sequoia platinum I feel the QX exceeds it in luxury and amenities putting it more in line with the LX.
Old 02-29-12, 02:57 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicky,
I hope you don't feel like you have to defend your decision. I enjoy your posts as I have learned alot. I to have found that trade-ins are undervalued, but there is not much choice, unless you want to sell it on your own. How many miles did the Land Cruiser have on it? I figure if you are loosing less than $15,000 per year you are doing good. I traded an Escalade 1.5 years old 65,000 miles for a new 2008 lx and lost my shirt.
I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Lexus dealers. McGrath Lexus of Westmont has treated me well. Steve Gibson is the sales person and he is wonderful. I had a bad experience with Lexus of Merrillville. They took a deposit on a vehicle (not an LX) and when I ask for it back because they lied, they refused to give it to me. I had to go to the Lexus district Headquarters to get my money back. Steve Gibson took care of me and resolved the problem. McGrath has been wonderful.
John
Old 02-29-12, 04:31 PM
twinturbov
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great summary, Chicky.

Your thought process is nearly identical to what my wife and I went througfh when buying our 2007 CPO LX470 2 years ago. We were looking at CPO's for each of those vehicles. As you said, Mercedes (GL450 for us) and Rover were out for reliability. Damn that Escalade for it's laughable interior. Previous bodystyle QX56 was just too much of an upfitted Armada.

Congrat's on the new QX56. I love the styling. Like it or hate, people notice that beast. Nothing else looks like it. That's a good thing in my book.
Old 02-29-12, 06:41 PM
tella
Driver

I test drove a 2012QX56, not even close to the 2011LX570. Not as peppy as the LX.

Quick Reply: gave up on the 2013 Lx570, bought an Infiniti