encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome back!
Old 08-17-10, 12:01 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Seems my salesperson has exaggerated, at LOT!

I was told that my new LX would be due into the dealership on Monday.

From what I can tell the M/V Sunbelt Trade, a cargo ship, just docked yesterday and it is at the Toyota/Lexus terminal, here in Jacksonville where is will/can take 2-4 additional days to clear customs. They would then still have to get it to the dealer who need at least a 1/2 day to install the K40 Calibre radar detector with Laser. Looking like we will be lucky to have by this weekend.

I know it will be worth it!
Old 08-21-10, 06:43 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Seems my salesperson has exaggerated, at LOT!

I was told that my new LX would be due into the dealership on Monday.

From what I can tell the M/V Sunbelt Trade, a cargo ship, just docked yesterday and it is at the Toyota/Lexus terminal, here in Jacksonville where is will/can take 2-4 additional days to clear customs. They would then still have to get it to the dealer who need at least a 1/2 day to install the K40 Calibre radar detector with Laser. Looking like we will be lucky to have by this weekend.

I know it will be worth it!
What's the latest news on the arrival of this beast, anything? Once we had a delivery-to-dealer date, out truck arrived a full week late from the promised date, but hopefully that won't be the case for you.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 08-21-10, 04:17 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

It was delivered to my dealer on Wednesday and they prepped it and installed the concealed K40 radar detector and I picked it up Thursday at 4:30! Just one day past my Birthday!

After getting out of the Infiniti M56s, the LX feels like I am in a semi!

I am absolutely in love!

I was getting weary of feeling every single bump and ripple with the M56s. I now feel a little more separated from the road and a LOT safer! Took a short trip down to St. Augustine today and remembered how good it felt to drive 6000 lbs of quality metal at highway speeds!

Just washed it and applied her first coat of wax. Looking forward to heading to Amelia Island tomorrow!

Pictures to follow and my thanks for all of you putting up with me my second time around!
Old 08-21-10, 04:28 PM
caha14
Racer

It was delivered to my dealer on Wednesday and they prepped it and installed the concealed K40 radar detector and I picked it up Thursday at 4:30! Just one day past my Birthday!

After getting out of the Infiniti M56s, the LX feels like I am in a semi!

I am absolutely in love!

I was getting weary of feeling every single bump and ripple with the M56s. I now feel a little more separated from the road and a LOT safer! Took a short trip down to St. Augustine today and remembered how good it felt to drive 6000 lbs of quality metal at highway speeds!

Just washed it and applied her first coat of wax. Looking forward to heading to Amelia Island tomorrow!

Pictures to follow and my thanks for all of you putting up with me my second time around!
Life is good, congratulations! Enjoy the trip tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

What kind of wax do you use? I am a detailing nut, and indeed this is a lot of metal!
Old 08-22-10, 04:38 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I have always been very happy with Maguires Gold. I apply with a porter cable and remove by hand with a micro fiber cloth. I find it remove with ease and leaves no streaks behind. The black paint on the LX is awesome. This was just the first coat and it will really need a few more to show the full effect. Black is really good looking when clean and waxed.

I find that daily road dirt comes off way more easy if kept waxed. I am kinda of a detail nut, too and will be sitting on the rolling stool to wax the wheels tonight

By the way, what do you use on your leather. I have the Cashmere which is a little on the light side and will show when it is not clean. What product do you suggest to clean and then protect. Also what do you use on the non-leather interior surfaces?
Old 08-22-10, 05:58 AM
caha14
Racer

I have always been very happy with Maguires Gold. I apply with a porter cable and remove by hand with a micro fiber cloth. I find it remove with ease and leaves no streaks behind. The black paint on the LX is awesome. This was just the first coat and it will really need a few more to show the full effect. Black is really good looking when clean and waxed.

I find that daily road dirt comes off way more easy if kept waxed. I am kinda of a detail nut, too and will be sitting on the rolling stool to wax the wheels tonight

By the way, what do you use on your leather. I have the Cashmere which is a little on the light side and will show when it is not clean. What product do you suggest to clean and then protect. Also what do you use on the non-leather interior surfaces?
Big time, it's amazing what a difference a slick surface makes when you're cleaning, particularly on your next job, the wheels. I need one of those rolling stools myself... These wheels take a long time! What will you apply to them, Meguiar's Gold or something else? I apply Zaino Z-2 (same as on the paint) but I also use WheelWax, which is supposed to be more resistant to heat.

I used Meguiar's products for a long time and always liked them. I used to hear and read so much about Zaino, that I always wanted to try their products, and I finally did in 2004 with my GX470. So, I've been on that bandwagon since, mainly because of durability. Which brings us to the interior...

I used to use Lexol on the leather but switched to Zaino Leather Cleaner and Zaino Leather-In-A-Bottle Conditioner. They are phenomenal products. I clean the seams carefully with a detailing brush, and apply the cleaner selectively (hard to miss the dirty areas on the cashmere like you said) and hit it with the conditioner which requires no buffing.

For the rest of the interior, I use no liquid cleaners and only use a Griot's Garage interior MF cloth. For protection, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl and doors (not sure if there is any real leather on the doors, but if there is, it gets 303, which is fine). On the wood, I used to apply Zaino, since it's clear coated, but that felt like an unnecessary extra step, so now I just spray a little 303 and buff it with the MF cloth.

Were you happy with the condition of your paint when you picked up the truck? The reason I ask is that mine was covered in swirls, particularly on the sides (don't know if you've seen my thread on the back-breaking detailing of my LX). When I picked it up, it looked fine, but once the filler wax they apply at the dealership wore off (in a few days), it was painful to see. I don't get the impression that many dealerships have the right equipment (starting with good quality clean towels) or understand the extra care it requires to tackle a black vehicle.

I mentioned this once before in another thread, so I'm repeating myself... It's great to have activity this forum!
Old 08-22-10, 11:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
Big time, it's amazing what a difference a slick surface makes when you're cleaning, particularly on your next job, the wheels. I need one of those rolling stools myself... These wheels take a long time! What will you apply to them, Meguiar's Gold or something else? I apply Zaino Z-2 (same as on the paint) but I also use WheelWax, which is supposed to be more resistant to heat.

I am getting ready to apply the Meguiar's to the wheels. I have been hearing about Zaino products for a long time, maybe I need to give them a try. I will Google them and find their site. How does it remove in comparison to the Meg. Gold?

I used Meguiar's products for a long time and always liked them. I used to hear and read so much about Zaino, that I always wanted to try their products, and I finally did in 2004 with my GX470. So, I've been on that bandwagon since, mainly because of durability. Which brings us to the interior...

Durability is what I want. Even through I seldom go more than a month or two without waxing again, there are time that might go a little longer. As I have to send my baby through a local wash tunnel that uses cloth rather than brushes, wax is critical and prevents the friction that does any damage.

I used to use Lexol on the leather but switched to Zaino Leather Cleaner and Zaino Leather-In-A-Bottle Conditioner. They are phenomenal products. I clean the seams carefully with a detailing brush, and apply the cleaner selectively (hard to miss the dirty areas on the cashmere like you said) and hit it with the conditioner which requires no buffing.

Looks like I need to get rid of the Lexol and go Zaino all the way as I am not so happy with Lexol. I have had the dye from my blue jeans transfer to the seats and it is hard to remove. The Lexol has always left my leather feeling kinda sticky, even after buffing.

For the rest of the interior, I use no liquid cleaners and only use a Griot's Garage interior MF cloth. For protection, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl and doors (not sure if there is any real leather on the doors, but if there is, it gets 303, which is fine). On the wood, I used to apply Zaino, since it's clear coated, but that felt like an unnecessary extra step, so now I just spray a little 303 and buff it with the MF cloth.

I use the 303 and love it. Been using on all the vinyl including the dash. If buffed off, it does not leave things so shiny that it reflects too bad in the windshield.

Were you happy with the condition of your paint when you picked up the truck? The reason I ask is that mine was covered in swirls, particularly on the sides (don't know if you've seen my thread on the back-breaking detailing of my LX). When I picked it up, it looked fine, but once the filler wax they apply at the dealership wore off (in a few days), it was painful to see. I don't get the impression that many dealerships have the right equipment (starting with good quality clean towels) or understand the extra care it requires to tackle a black vehicle.

I can not complain about the finish on delivery. I waxed after only two days so the filler wax had little to do after that. I can say there were no swirls and the dealer did a great job. I had to remove a few piece of the stubborn plastic the factory applied to the interior for protection. but even the hidden radar install was flawless.

I mentioned this once before in another thread, so I'm repeating myself... It's great to have activity this forum!
It is not as busy as it was when I took delivery on my 2008 LX, but that is understandable. Not a lot of LX570 units out there and most who do own are not "forum people"

I thank you for the tips and am on the way to the Zaino site to have it ready for the next weeks re wax!
Old 08-22-10, 12:14 PM
caha14
Racer

It is not as busy as it was when I took delivery on my 2008 LX, but that is understandable. Not a lot of LX570 units out there and most who do own are not "forum people"

I thank you for the tips and am on the way to the Zaino site to have it ready for the next weeks re wax!
Forgot to mention, regarding Zaino... I'm certainly sticking with their leather care products and for now, with the paint sealant. All other Zaino products that I use, e.g., Gloss Enhancer, are keepers. Months and months will go by, and the water still beads remarkably well.

However, for what it's worth, I have been researching Ultima paint care products and have read enough positive things to pique my interest and order some, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Their paint sealant goes on clear and just dries with no need to buff. Zaino did introduce a similar product, Z-CS, two or three years ago, and it is great. However, as they describe it, it is not intended to be the one coat of sealant but rather a top coat to the multiple layers of whatever you choose to apply, preferrably Zaino Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5 (of course!) but really any product.

As with many other products, applying multiple coats is the fundamental principle for Zaino, and to that end, they even sell a "Cure Accelerator Additive" (ZFX) so that you can apply multiple coats faster. The process is still involved and very time consuming for a vehicle the size of the LX. So, I am considering Ultima since I am open to saving myself some time if I can to spend with my 15 month old. They also suggest multiple coats over time, but again, application is a lot easier: no mixing and no buffing. One of the reviews I read (on Autopia, I believe) is by an LS430 owner who used to use Zaino. He wrote amazingly detailed reviews. The Ultima folks claim to admire Zaino products and to have spent years developing something that could beat them, so I am curious.

On a side note, a genius at my wife's office building decided to turn on the sprinklers at 3 PM the other day... full parking lot. The hood on the LX has some water stains that I have not been able to take off after trying some of the standard stuff (acid bath, etc.). Before going at it with Griot's polishes and the random orbital, I want to try Ultima's glaze to see if I can get them off.

I know I can't expect any paint sealant to make the paint bulletproof, but I would not have expected these spots to stick and penetrate the paint as quickly as they did with the multiple layers of Zaino that my hood has at this point. This is hardly the main reason I am looking at Ultima, but it, combined with the potential time savings and the mostly-stellar reviews I have seen, gave me the final push to order some.

Just throwing that out there...

I used to be a "one-brand" guy for the longest time, but over the years I've been picking what I like best from whoever makes it (hence my use of Griot's polishes and clay - not Zaino's - but Zaino's sealants and not Griot's ), so I'm wondering if Ultima will be next on my list! It just makes reordering a bit more of a pain in the neck. LOL

Glad you're a fan of 303! I love the stuff... I first learned about it at Acurazine.com seven years ago. I used to use Formula 2001 (don't know if they even make it anymore!) until I tried 303, which I now use on not only the vinyl, but also all weatherstripping, the plastic covers in the engine compartment, mud flaps, etc.

P.S. How was Amelia Island today?

Last edited by caha14; 08-22-10 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 02:39 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Amelia Island was great. Been going there for 25 years and remember when it was a sleepy little shrimping town, my how things have changed! Owned 12 condos right on the beach and was lucky to have had the sense to sell them while they were at their peak value.
Old 08-23-10, 01:46 PM
caha14
Racer

Amelia Island was great. Been going there for 25 years and remember when it was a sleepy little shrimping town, my how things have changed! Owned 12 condos right on the beach and was lucky to have had the sense to sell them while they were at their peak value.
Impeccable timing for sure! I've never made it there but have always heard it's beautiful.

My products and some new tools all arrive today.
Old 08-30-10, 08:37 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,
We would love an update about the ride you had when you left lexus.
Thanks, John
Old 08-31-10, 04:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by John R.
Greg,
We would love an update about the ride you had when you left lexus.
Thanks, John
Hi John,

I had multiple rides, 5 to be exact before returning. The last being an 2011 Infinity M56s with 420hp! It was way to low to get in and out of and my life expectancy would have greatly limited with something that reminded me of my performance motocycle days!

Of all the others I liked the Range Rover but it had warranty problems and the dealer in Jacksonville did not seem to be able to get them resolved.