LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Impressions after two years: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 03:22 PM
black570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions after two years: Part 1

Following two years of being my primary ride, I will summarize my feelings on my 2008 black LX570 in this series. I didn’t plan on it being a series, but I’ve already written quite a bit and need to get some sleep, and I haven’t even started on the main topics of interest. So a series this will be. Bear with me and hope you find it useful. Let me know with your replies if you do, or don’t for that matter, because I have a feeling it would be enjoyable to get lots of responses. I just revel in attention. This may come as shock to many of you, but many of the things I will mention are negative. I know you’re all proud of your investments and many of you can become defensive, but please don’t knock me for doing that. I’m just trying to be helpful. So here goes a discussion on each area of interest as they occur to me, starting with (I'm realizing now) non-essential stuff:

- Windows: I really like the windows control package and the fact that they close so snugly. I like that all windows are auto. I can open and close all windows in one go, well two goes back to back. I think the windows heat/UV coating performs well. This probably contributes to the leather seats not heating up in the sun relative to other cars. I think the coating performs so well in fact that there’s no need for additional film, unless it’s a privacy film, which I hate. On the down side, the windows glass is not of the acoustic type (except I think the front windshield). Compare the feel of knocking (with knuckles) on the driver’s window of a BMW X5 vs. an LX570. The X5 feels solid. The LX soft, plasticy. To me this adds structural solidity to the X5 and shields more of the outside noises. To me this is an example of the hidden value you get with German cars. This is off the windows topic, but try also knocking on body panels of an X5 as compared to the LX. The X5 feels more solid, less hollow. I’m not sure whether it’s the thickness of the steel panels or the small bends BMW designs all over their cars. Please don’t hate me, and remember that in the end I bought the LX, and for more money, and I’m not regretting it. Wanna know why?

- Resale value: In the region I live in, nothing beats the Toyota/Lexus brands in terms of the speed with which you can liquidate a car and in terms of the resale value. It’s like driving around in cash. Why since I’m an early adopter, and prices have risen with minimal change to the car design, I can resell my car at close to its original value.

- Stereo: Sucks would be my overall comment. This is especially true as I truly care about sound quality. There are some high points: sound detailing is definitely above average, mid range (such as, vocals) is fantastic and highs are good. I like that it stores equalization for each source independently. I like that it stores station frequencies in NVRAM so you don’t have to reprogram channels following battery replacement. My kids love the ceiling DVD screen, even though it obstructs visibility for me. They specifically commented that movies looked good on it, and they’re used to great quality TVs at home. On the other hand, the stereo is anemic, and bass performance is abysmal. Music containing little bass sounds good, but muted (not loud enough). Music that is loaded with bass sounds muddled, the lower the base notes the more muddled. Some music sounds decent, but nothing sounds spectacular. This stereo, never mind the Mark Levinson branding, is only good enough for a family minivan, in my opinion. Harmon International is making a mistake branding this stereo ML. If I were them, I would pay more care not to tarnish a good brand.

- Dash: Crackles (small noises, hope you know what I mean). Well MY dash crackles. It does it in two situations: When I touch the touch screen (imagine that), and when I drive over humps, especially when the suspension is set to comfortable. I complained, and they made some improvements, but the crackles are still there. Cars at this price range should be designed to eliminate crackles and all other small noises. No ifs or buts. This is called refinement. Cars at this price range, should be absolutely refined.

- Leather: Tough, minimal change or deterioration after 2 years, doesn’t become hot in the sun, but is it real leather? Why does it not smell like leather? I love the smell of leather. Also, I would have loved a choice of colors that is different from the choices available for a Camry or a Sequoia. What about terracotta, red, black, etc. Where’s the fun, the opulence, the class. Watch the choices VW/Audi makes. And what about the stitching and the perforation. Compare to Range Rover seats.

- Horn: Truly substantial. You can knock off other drivers at will, while you remain in total isolation. Good tone, too. Lexus truly outdone themselves here.

- Seat ventilation/cooling. This feature should be renamed “seat noise”.

Topics for discussion next time: Engine, suspension, Steering. This ought to be substantial enough.
Old 05-26-10, 08:02 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Fantastically detailed and well-written report. I also have noticed many of the same aspects (both good and bad) and look forward to part two.

Certainly a body on frame design will involve more dash creaks and overall rattles, nature of the beast. Stitching and interior opulence certainly not in Range Rover class. You also made a great point that European vehicles do feel more solid and heavier, whatever the scales say. Resale of LX and LC is second to none, reliability too.

Overall, I really look forward to driving my 2010. It's not sporty but it's rare and has a truck feel with true go anywhere ability allied to being a very relaxed place to pass miles in.
Old 05-27-10, 05:00 AM
DaveN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great report. Another serious window deficiency is the change that prevents the rear side windows from opening. I really appreciated using the power windows when parking in the sun.
Old 05-27-10, 05:45 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

great write up sir.
Old 05-28-10, 02:14 AM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Very nice write up.
Old 05-28-10, 05:20 AM
ige
Rookie

Way to go, indeed helpful and you have pointed out some really detailed pros and cons.

Can't wait for the rest of the series, hopefully its a more revealing

Keep the good stuff.

ps to all: We need to get some influential Lexus executive to read this, they'll definitely find this report comes handy in refining their quality reputation.

Last edited by ige; 05-28-10 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 03:37 PM
Plucky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by black570

- Seat ventilation/cooling. This feature should be renamed “seat noise

100% agree with you .. Very nice report and looking forward to part 2.

Thanks
Old 05-28-10, 06:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting read...I'm not very familiar with the LX 570, but many Lexus models do have acoustic glass on the windshields; some ML systems have been critiqued for bass performance; the new RX/GX RSES use dual screens behind headrests for less visibility obstruction, plus the lower screen on the LS 5-seat config; and I think it is real genuine leather for much of the LX 570 seating etc.
Old 05-29-10, 12:50 PM
LexusLX
Rookie

Excellent feedback,

I have Lx after owning a CayenneS and I miss the real leather smell too. Waiting to hear te rest of the report about the engine too..

Thanks and hope to hear from you at our home forum http://www.toyota4arab.com/forum/f37.html
Old 06-18-10, 07:15 PM
LX570Power
Driver School Candidate

I just can't stand my noisy dash!!
EXECELLENT FEEDBACK!
everything was true
Old 06-18-10, 09:41 PM
IslandTime
Driver School Candidate

I have an '09 and agree that the ML stereo sounds terrible with everything... except for the Aux In port near the shifter. I have an iPhone connected to a griffin power charger which features an aux out port for line level audio output. I'll admit that it's not the most elegant setup as the cords just hang there, but the sound quality with this setup is absolutely head and shoulders above the sound produced from any of the other inputs.
Old 06-22-10, 12:08 PM
black570
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IslandTime
I have an '09 and agree that the ML stereo sounds terrible with everything... except for the Aux In port near the shifter. I have an iPhone connected to a griffin power charger which features an aux out port for line level audio output. I'll admit that it's not the most elegant setup as the cords just hang there, but the sound quality with this setup is absolutely head and shoulders above the sound produced from any of the other inputs.
I also mostly listen to music using my iphone via auxiliary port. Even though the iphone is a proprietary system, it is popular and has good user interface and quality sound. I think Lexus should consider making a good, supported iphone interface available, even if optional. I think they should support video playback too.

As for cables, I wish Lexus, and other manufacturers as well, would support the wireless headphone bluetooth profile. That would playback stereo music wireless similar to bluetooth calls but better quality.

In general, I think the days of the CD/DVD, and to a lesser extent Bluray, are over. It no longer makes sense to carry DVDs around between home, car, office, travel destinations, and everywhere else. I think it makes more sense anymore for all media to be stored in a mobile unit that you can plug wherever you happened to be. I think the USB port that Lexus started integrating into their 2010 systems is a good approach. What might kill it is inelegant user interface and lack of proper codecs (decoders). Being a car company, I don't expect Lexus to come anywhere near the usability of the iphone. I really need to try a 2010 stereo to comment.

I hope one day the audio visual industry would create a standard for storage, retrieval, licensing decoding and wireless transmission of music and video such that you carry your mobile media storage with you and play it wireless wherever you happened to be without pulling it from your pocket.

Thanks for reading my post. I hope Lexus would.
Old 06-27-10, 05:10 AM
Rash
hmm

Very nice write-up mashalla 3alaik, I always wanted one, but I guess I'm too young for it.

Also, I think it would be nicer if those threads are merged together, and edit the 3 posts into one.
Old 06-27-10, 09:25 AM
2010LX570
Driver School Candidate

Default BMWs aren't what they seem...

I have been a life long BMW owner and I've owned a 3, M5, X5, 750li, and now a X6 50i. I recently purchased a new '10 570 for a few main reasons...

1) Capability. The only other SUV you'll find that offers the level of luxury and off road performance like a loaded LX would be a Range Rover. I think we can all agree that a Range Rover is also far more luxurious and offers quite a few options that Lexus simply does not. However, a Range Rover is only good when it actually works. Resale sucks on the RR and so does the service and reliability

2) Reliability. Toyota is known for their "drive it til the wheels fall off" reliability which is a big reason their resale is so high.

3) Durability. Many of the parts in the LX570 certainly feel...cheap compared to its competitors, but they can take a harder beating. I agree that the X5 (especially the new 2011) does have a much more solid and higher quality FEEL too it, but it only lasts for a few months. With nearly every BMW I've had (especially the X6 and the 3 series) there are annoying rattles that sometimes never get fixed. Furthermore, the level of care you have to give those cars (between dodging potholes and such) just to not add to the rattles gets annoying too.

For me, the LX570 is simply a utility vehicle. I mostly use it for the weekends or in the snow. I wouldn't even consider taking my X6 offroad because it wouldn't make it past the gravel road...performance is the snow is great, but it sucks anywhere off pavement. In contrast, the X6 has breath taking acceleration and handling for a 5,600lb suv and the ride is significantly better than the LX, but that is only good for the urban jungle. The LX570 has performed very well (its just stock for now) in the few times I've taken it offroad and the onroad performance isn't bad for the average suv of its size. However, I do agree with the somewhat cheap feel of the fit and finish of the car.

Ultimately, your complaints are valid, but the grass is not greener on the other side. Merc's suvs are a joke both in quality and performance and infiniti doesn't really keep up either. At the end of the day, if you use your LX for onroad purposes more than you do offroad, then the smaller things may get on your nerves quicker. If you're planning on switching out your LX for something else, I'd suggest you hold off for at least a few more years. While I love BMW, you really should only lease them since they are always full of issues by the time you reach 50-60k miles and resale isn't that great. If you're ok with spending a bit more than you would on a lexus to get the better onroad performance and a more solid interior cabin, then go for the X5 or X6...just remember they aren't designed for anything beyond pavement, gravel, snow and sand. Hope that makes you feel better about your LX!
Old 06-28-10, 06:04 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Nice write up.

Can you also add the lack of tire pressure monitor in this car? My dad always complains about it as he has it in his LS460L. I think he has valid point as it could be very useful while offroading. I think the cheaper Nissan rogue has it so why not this!
And what about the headlights? Lexus could have provided a better headlight then the current one. It's clear but why is it so yellow.

Quick Reply: Impressions after two years: Part 1