LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 03:46 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yet other Lexus models that were premium are now regular.
I don't believe it's marketing.A regular fuel recommendation would always be welcomed by potential LX buyers.Especially with 13/18 MPG numbers.
And what else could be the reason? They are the same engines. There is no difference.
Old 02-11-16, 04:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
And what else could be the reason? They are the same engines. There is no difference.
I believe premium was about $4 a gallon back when the '12 models of the ES and RX went from premium to regular...
Old 02-11-16, 09:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jacal
I always understood that higher compression engines should use premium / high octane because of possible pinging.

I might venture a guess (after all, we are on the internet here my ignorance should be no object! ) that the high octane is a requirement when you are running at "maximum" to meet the published specs (of hp, top, speeds, towing). In other words, towing heavy trailers, or loaded to or near the max cargo weight rating, or running at extremely high speeds. But hey, really, how often is that happening, if ever?

I'm running premium for now, but I'm open. In my area we get some very low temps, I wonder if premium has any advantages to starting a low temps? Not that the LX has an issue, but my honda oddy is more sensitive to the very low temps...I should try to compare starting ability of reg v prem. Tough to get the comparison right, and tough if it doesn't work then the van is dead and wifey very unhappy.

J
Anti-knock sensors are there to back off timing a bit if they sense impending knocking.

I think you'd get easier starting with an engine pre-heater v. 3 or 4 points difference in octane. A heated battery blanket wouldn't hurt either.

Probably just for marketing reasons. Premium car - premium fuel. But I would like to have this confirmed from Lexus, which of course will never do it...
I doubt marketing has a thing to do with the situation. I doubt anyone spending the money for an LX is doing so because premium fuel is recommended, nor not buying one because regular was not.

I would also like to hear why from Toyota.
LX is the 3rd Lexus currently in my family and I also own 3 other Toyota vehicles now. I would like to know why Toyota wants me to spend more for the fuel than necessary. Why they lie to me in their answer for my question - they said that LX engine is designed for high octane fuel...
First world problem. The LX will run just fine with regular gasoline as it will with premium...unless you can feel 2 hp at wide-open-throttle in the seat of your pants.

If you don't want "to spend more for the fuel than necessary", buy regular.

Originally Posted by yakim
Why do they lie about premium fuel? Its all about maintaining luxury car segment image. Luxury car=premium fuel. Pure marketing
That's a stretch.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yet other Lexus models that were premium are now regular.
I don't believe it's marketing.A regular fuel recommendation would always be welcomed by potential LX buyers.Especially with 13/18 MPG numbers.
The Land Cruiser shows the same mileage numbers, though it's spec'd at 2 hp and 2 ft-lb less torque than the LX. Significant difference is that the Cruiser is rated to tow up to 8500 lb mgvw, the LX at only 7000.

Steve
Old 02-11-16, 11:32 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone considered the vagaries of the difference in "Premium" from one pump location to the next? In many parts of the world the way they measure Octane is different. Ron or RON/MON etc... Without getting into it, our Regular in some countries is Premium and in others our Premium might be Mid Grade.
Old 02-12-16, 07:06 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverSS
Has anyone considered the vagaries of the difference in "Premium" from one pump location to the next? In many parts of the world the way they measure Octane is different. Ron or RON/MON etc... Without getting into it, our Regular in some countries is Premium and in others our Premium might be Mid Grade.

Funny you mentioned it, in our area there is one gas station that sells premium 91 octane fuel that consistently gets on average 2 miles per gallon better mileage than the rest. It is a privately owned small town gas station. The trouble is, their fuel is about 20 cents per gallon more expensive than the rest. I do not know how to explain any of it. But when I am passing thru' on (nearly) empty, I always stop and fill up. Doing so, I have a feeling that I am "pampering" my truck.
Old 02-12-16, 08:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
Funny you mentioned it, in our area there is one gas station that sells premium 91 octane fuel that consistently gets on average 2 miles per gallon better mileage than the rest. It is a privately owned small town gas station. The trouble is, their fuel is about 20 cents per gallon more expensive than the rest. I do not know how to explain any of it. But when I am passing thru' on (nearly) empty, I always stop and fill up. Doing so, I have a feeling that I am "pampering" my truck.
I see about a 2 mpg improvement running non-ethanol gas, which is about what I'd expect. It's not because it's 91 octane...it's because there's 10% more gasoline v. normal gasoline with ethanol.

Is your station selling non-ethanol?

Steve
Old 02-12-16, 08:38 AM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
I see about a 2 mpg improvement running non-ethanol gas, which is about what I'd expect. It's not because it's 91 octane...it's because there's 10% more gasoline v. normal gasoline with ethanol.

Steve
They all claim to sell premium non-ethanol, and I make sure that's what I always get. Yet only fuel from that one gas station provides 2 miles per gallon better mileage @ a higher price per gallon. Its also a well known fact in the community.Hence the mystery remains.
Old 02-12-16, 08:43 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve
This^

Non-ethanol (pure gas) is the way to go if you can find it. Never once have I concerned myself with how much premium versus regular costs.

I drive easy (mix of highway/city) and get between 17-19 mpg consistently with 89-octane, plus, pure gas.

273.5 miles/qtr on the gauge (though there are 10 gals in the tank)/17.4 avg mixed driving
Old 02-12-16, 01:45 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Significant difference is that the Cruiser is rated to tow up to 8500 lb mgvw, the LX at only 7000.
Steve
I would say that it has nothing to do with the engine. The reason is probably the electronically controlled suspension on LX.
Old 02-12-16, 06:39 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I get 2 - 3 mpg better in all my vehicles with ethanol free gas. If "all" stations are claiming ethanol free then I suggest you pay the $25 and buy a test kit from the internet and test it yourself. I have, and not all stations claiming ethanol free really not ethanol free.
Old 02-12-16, 10:07 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
I get 2 - 3 mpg better in all my vehicles with ethanol free gas. If "all" stations are claiming ethanol free then I suggest you pay the $25 and buy a test kit from the internet and test it yourself. I have, and not all stations claiming ethanol free really not ethanol free.
I suspected it all along.
Old 05-29-17, 11:45 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

no has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with engine timing and compression. you can run 87 octane but you lose power and the engines internal efficiency gets affected. The timing on L cars vs T is all ECU based. Run the 93.
Old 05-29-17, 11:49 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sanidel
thank you ... The question has been answered! There is a difference, it is negligible (two horsepower), but the real reason is marketing, which is what we all suspected.
Regards,

sanidel
has nothing to do with marketing.
Old 05-29-17, 11:57 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

illegal in states to be ethanol free in fuel now. You can get 91 that is ethanol free from a distributor but mass sale of straight gasoline outlawed. Gasahol is great. Personally wish this car had been set up to run E85, benefits there are great.
Old 05-30-17, 01:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Sorry but alcohol lacks the energy of gas and the main reason we have it in our gas is to fatten the coffers of the corn growing states. Even the EPA blew up because of the amount of environmental damage occurring to the streams and rivers near these corn field. But due to a strong "corn lobby", the applied money to the complainers and the public continues to get duped.

There is nothing beneficial about putting alcohol in our fuel. It attracts water and can make a mess of your fuel system. Some want to increase alcohol to 20% soon.

It is not illegal here and if you want to pay for alcohol free gas, it is available at the pump if you look around for it. I use it in the boat and jetski.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-30-17 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Premium fuel really needed?