LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Third row seat rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 08:01 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Third row seat rattle

When driving on a rough road, with the third row seats folded up, I get a rattle from both the right and left side. It sounds like the bracket that holds the seat against the side of the cargo space is not tight. I remember someone taking their 570 to his dealer over this defect but can not find the thread. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix? Thanks, 5000 mile service scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday).
Old 08-25-08, 08:43 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

thank god im not the only one....it drives me so nuts i leave the seats down.

the only thing i can find is its where the seat hooks into the metal bracked when folded up. Its not the seat itself it looks like, more rather the connection of the seat to the car when its folded up.

anyone else?
Old 08-25-08, 11:40 AM
UCI_MECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem since day one. At the beginning, I didn't know what was the source of the rattle sound.. I could hear it from the back when I drive over any irregularity on the road.. even over the small ones.
I just figured out that it was the left third row seat and only when the seat is folded up.. I'm sure now it is not the seat itself but the bracket that holds the seat as mikeivan said. The sound stops when the seat is down.
I have no idea how this can be fixed. My 5000 service will be approximately a month from now.
mikeivan, please let us know what the dealer tells you about this issue when you take your 570 to the 5000 service.
Old 08-26-08, 05:01 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

OK here is my view. I was getting a noise back there, but mine was the 2nd row seat backs were rubbing on the retracted 3rd row seat. All I had to do is lift the seatback lever on both 2nd row seats and tilt the back up one notch to keep it from touching the folded 3rd row seat. My noise was then gone.

Worth a try to look at. just feel to make sure there is clearance between the back of the 2nd row seat and the 3rd row seat in the folder up position!
Old 08-26-08, 07:05 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warranty deal for me...take it to the stealer already.
Old 08-26-08, 07:45 AM
UCI_MECH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
OK here is my view. I was getting a noise back there, but mine was the 2nd row seat backs were rubbing on the retracted 3rd row seat. All I had to do is lift the seatback lever on both 2nd row seats and tilt the back up one notch to keep it from touching the folded 3rd row seat. My noise was then gone.

Worth a try to look at. just feel to make sure there is clearance between the back of the 2nd row seat and the 3rd row seat in the folder up position!
I tried your suggestion but the rattling sound is still there. Definitely, it is the metal bracket where this rattling is coming from.
Old 08-26-08, 10:26 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

i agree uci mech
Old 08-29-08, 04:55 AM
uvafan
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem...3rd row seat rattles when folded up - both sides. 2nd row seats rattle sometimes - mostly seat behind driver (you can actually shake the seats at the headrest and notice the significant "play"). Please post what service tells you. I plan to have issue looked at at 5000 mile service. Shouldn't be that noisy for $80,000 vehicle....
Old 08-29-08, 05:27 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Originally Posted by uvafan
Shouldn't be that noisy for $80,000 vehicle....
Exactly what I told my service rep. The service tech said the seat belts were not in their clips and that was the source of the noise. In fact, when I told them about this rattle at my 1000 mile service, the service rep said the seat belts were hitting the side of the cargo area while in their clips and he took them out to "cure" the rattle. Not the kind of service support I have come to expect from Lexus. I did not have time to take my service rep for a ride but I will after I return from New Mexico. I knew I would hate those fold up third row seats but I had no idea how badly.
Old 08-29-08, 06:05 AM
UCI_MECH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Exactly what I told my service rep. The service tech said the seat belts were not in their clips and that was the source of the noise. In fact, when I told them about this rattle at my 1000 mile service, the service rep said the seat belts were hitting the side of the cargo area while in their clips and he took them out to "cure" the rattle. Not the kind of service support I have come to expect from Lexus. I did not have time to take my service rep for a ride but I will after I return from New Mexico. I knew I would hate those fold up third row seats but I had no idea how badly.
When this sound started, I suspected the seat belt. So, I put a tape on the belt to isolate the problem (I thought I did). However, I kept hearing the rattling sound anyway. So, it is not the seat belt as you were told.
Old 08-29-08, 07:13 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Let the dealership deal with it. You paid enough for the car, dont sweat being the troubleshooter for the service department as well.
I brought my GS down with some rattles and they said they found more and fixed those as well.