"Power Assisted Third Row"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 11:30 AM
hkochat
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Power Assisted Third Row"

Hello Friends,

I have been thinking to get some rationale or clarification behind the thought process of Lexus with the following conception of innovative technology. As we all aware that one of the comfort-convenience upgrades that Lexus introduced into the new LX570 is the power assisted third row seats. To me, it is still “semi-powered”! Third row seats are power assisted to fold down, retracted sideways to storage position and to bring back to horizontal fold position. I was wondering why they omit the power assist to unfold the third row to seating position. Does anyone thought about this or heard any Lexus rationale why they haven’t gone all the way with this technology upgrade to fully power assisted mod? Just curious!
Old 06-03-08, 11:47 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hkochat
Hello Friends,

I have been thinking to get some rationale or clarification behind the thought process of Lexus with the following conception of innovative technology. As we all aware that one of the comfort-convenience upgrades that Lexus introduced into the new LX570 is the power assisted third row seats. To me, it is still “semi-powered”! Third row seats are power assisted to fold down, retracted sideways to storage position and to bring back to horizontal fold position. I was wondering why they omit the power assist to unfold the third row to seating position. Does anyone thought about this or heard any Lexus rationale why they haven’t gone all the way with this technology upgrade to fully power assisted mod? Just curious!
just guessing I would say the extra weight of the extra motors.
I am happy with it as the power fold down makes so I dont need to climb in the back of the car to get the seats down, I dont mind pulling the strap (in the 570) to set the seats up into position.
It was always a "chore" to climb into the back of the 470 to undo the straps to fold down.
Old 06-03-08, 01:11 PM
rspjr05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trusso
just guessing I would say the extra weight of the extra motors.
I am happy with it as the power fold down makes so I dont need to climb in the back of the car to get the seats down, I dont mind pulling the strap (in the 570) to set the seats up into position.
It was always a "chore" to climb into the back of the 470 to undo the straps to fold down.
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Mine unfolds all the way with the button and also folds to the side with another button. Maybe because I special ordered mine with all possible options available.
Old 06-04-08, 09:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I have not brought mine out of the folded position since the day I bought it.
Old 06-05-08, 02:57 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rspjr05
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Mine unfolds all the way with the button and also folds to the side with another button. Maybe because I special ordered mine with all possible options available.
Are you sure the seat backs fold up automatically on yours? At the dealers last friday they showed me and the back of the third row seats had to be pulled up manually. I don't believe there is an option on this, especially as all SoCal LX570s come fully equipped.
Old 06-05-08, 03:06 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

All the 3rd row seats are the same.
Old 06-05-08, 10:22 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
In Canada the 3rd row is power assisted as an option not sure about the US
Old 06-06-08, 07:56 AM
rspjr05
Driver School Candidate

That's correct mine came out of Canada - its fully loaded with every option available (pre-collision radar etc). I am planning to go to the local dealer next week for the 1000 mile checkup - I will ask him and see the difference for my self and why Lexus is cutting short on the American model inspite of paying over $90K for this SUV - This is really not fair
Old 06-06-08, 09:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pagemaster
In Canada the 3rd row is power assisted as an option not sure about the US

I stand corrected. Seems we, in the USA, are being shorted! I really could care less as my seats have only moved one time

I love my 570 more everyday I drive it.
Old 06-06-08, 09:12 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I stand corrected. Seems we, in the USA, are being shorted! I really could care less as my seats have only moved one time

I think Toyota should of made the third row seats removable in the 200 series still not sure why they didnt or at least have a third row delete option. Most people rarely ever have the need for the full third row seats. I have probably seen a fully loaded three row seat SUV once or twice on the road.

Glad you like your Lexus.
Old 06-07-08, 05:50 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I would have paid extra to have my 3rd row deleted at the factory and the second row pushed back about 12-14 inches! Now that would be useful. A nice floor mounted entertainment center with bar and fridge would be very nice! I bet not 2% of the LX570 owners will use these heavy powered 3rd row seats

I guess I am old but most of the younger families who have more than two kids can't afford the 570 or the LC
Old 06-07-08, 05:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I would have paid extra to have my 3rd row deleted at the factory and the second row pushed back about 12-14 inches!
I
That would get a good idea. Scrap the third row and have a really nice second row with extras.

I guess I am old but most of the younger families who have more than two kids can't afford the 570 or the LC
Most people rarely ever use the third row seat. Yes it is nice to have but some of these mini mid sized SUVs now come with three rows in my mind with that many people in the SUV it makes it unsafe.

I bet not 2% of the LX570 owners will use these heavy powered 3rd row seats
I have a feeling that Toyota is going switch the rear of the 200 series to and IRS at about fours years into the design. Well see. But I have never seen a GX, LX fully loaded with all three rows of seats. Maybe in other countries they do that more often but rarely do I ever see it N A.
Old 06-09-08, 07:00 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my 3rd row seats maybe 20% of the time.
2 kids and a dog !!!!
Old 06-09-08, 08:00 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

While I agree that the third row is rarely utilized, I suppose it is something you'd likely miss if it wasn't there. For me, the back of the SUV is for my pit so I don't think I'll use them much either.
Old 06-26-08, 09:09 PM
jff
Driver School Candidate

I love the fact that the 3rd row is powered, but this new design is my single biggest complaint/disappointment in my new LX570 (coming from a LX470). On my 470 I took those seats out and had a huge storage space, on the 570 they are fixed and can't be removed - the amount of trunk space is therefore considerably smaller. Darn. I'm tempted to remove them in a permanent fashion... but from time to time I do need them.

Regards,
Jason

Quick Reply: "Power Assisted Third Row"