LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

S shifting always to 4th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 10:43 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S shifting always to 4th gear??

Of all the cars I have driven with the manual shifting option, it operates the same way...when you shift into manual, it remains in the same gear.

e.g., if driving in the automatic mode you are in 3rd gear, when you switch into manual mode, you will still be in 3rd gear.

Not so with the 570--and maybe someone can tell me why. Whenever I shift into manual mode, regardless of speed I am going, it indicates 4th gear. There is some mention of this on p 172 in the owners manual.

Can anyone explain this???
Old 05-12-08, 10:55 AM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be horribly off topic but I'm waiting for the '09s to come out before plunging for the LX570 as my second vehicle.

Does it exceed expectations? I've been driving the gf's LX470 and love it, but would hope for better steering feel on the new model. Is this so? I've searched the forum and read your impressions but was wondering how things are now you've had chance to put more miles on her?

Again, sorry for the off topic.
Old 05-12-08, 12:16 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pemarsh
Of all the cars I have driven with the manual shifting option, it operates the same way...when you shift into manual, it remains in the same gear.

e.g., if driving in the automatic mode you are in 3rd gear, when you switch into manual mode, you will still be in 3rd gear.

Not so with the 570--and maybe someone can tell me why. Whenever I shift into manual mode, regardless of speed I am going, it indicates 4th gear. There is some mention of this on p 172 in the owners manual.

I noticed this as well. If you are in 1st gear and switch it over, the "auto-stick" goes to 4th.
Old 05-12-08, 12:19 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carl L
Sorry to be horribly off topic but I'm waiting for the '09s to come out before plunging for the LX570 as my second vehicle.

Does it exceed expectations? I've been driving the gf's LX470 and love it, but would hope for better steering feel on the new model. Is this so? I've searched the forum and read your impressions but was wondering how things are now you've had chance to put more miles on her?

Exceeded expectations!! The time where I noticed it the most was on the 1st trip to the mountains. Had the power to pass in areas where I normally couldnt, was more comfortible than expected, more room in more places.
My only "complaint" was fixed by a CL member that showed me how to raise the DVD screen from the front seats.
The steering feel is a personal preference so drive one before you get it, but I went from a 470 to 570 and couldnt be happier.
Old 05-12-08, 12:21 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carl L

Carl, are you in Nor or So Cal?
Old 05-12-08, 12:54 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trusso
Exceeded expectations!! The time where I noticed it the most was on the 1st trip to the mountains. Had the power to pass in areas where I normally couldnt, was more comfortible than expected, more room in more places.
My only "complaint" was fixed by a CL member that showed me how to raise the DVD screen from the front seats.
The steering feel is a personal preference so drive one before you get it, but I went from a 470 to 570 and couldnt be happier.
Thanks for the repsonse. I'm in Los Angeles so SoCal.

So there is a button on the dash to return and deploy the rear DVD screen? Can it be operated from the rear.

Going to introduce myself on a new thread right now...
Old 05-12-08, 01:28 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

wow...thanks for hijacking my topic...ya know you can make a new thread!
Old 05-12-08, 01:52 PM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

wow...thanks for hijacking my topic...ya know you can make a new thread!
Trusso kindly replied to your query yet you "reply" only to my post in which I acknowledged both the fact I was off topic and that I would start a new thread. Seems you are hijacking your own thread, pemarsh.
Old 05-12-08, 09:11 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Makes mention of the "AI shift" ??
I cannot quite figure that out, what's an AI shift?
Old 05-13-08, 09:23 AM
Carl L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trusso
Makes mention of the "AI shift" ??
I cannot quite figure that out, what's an AI shift?
AI shift= Artificial Intelligence shift.

It's for when the gearbox is in adaptive mode, so if you drive with light throttle inputs it will shift early in the rev range for a smooth experence. Drive with a heavy foot and it will hold onto gears and change down for corners.
Old 05-13-08, 12:36 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I couldnt get it to shift today to anything but 4th.
I'm fine with 4th...
Old 05-13-08, 10:05 PM
trusso
Pole Position

My GS always shifts to 5th.
I tried and couldnt get either car to shift to any other gear than 4th (LX) and 5th (GS)
Old 05-14-08, 04:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

My 570 goes in to forth if speed permits. I can always puyll it back to go to 3rd, 2nd but it starts in 4th if I have enough speed. The 570 will NOT allow you to shift to a higher gear if it does not sense you are going fast enough. Likely for self protection to keep from driving with too low RPMs.

This is typical Lexus.
Old 05-14-08, 05:41 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

well, i guess the bottom line is that it is normal for the lx to do this. just sort of odd.
Old 05-14-08, 07:09 AM
trusso
Pole Position

also, when you move it to manual (or whatever the acronym happens to be) the transmission will still shift from fourth to any downshift needed (just like an automatic)
Its odd that 4th is the chosen gear but it's safe, causes no over-rev's and still allows you to play with the transmission in a semi-manual mode.
I first thought that a semi-auto transmission was unnecessary in a car like this. It has plenty of power to pass with the blip of the throttle. My 470 however needed something like this for passing and trips to the mountains.

Quick Reply: S shifting always to 4th gear??