LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

"Who's pulling my chain??"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 07:33 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Who's pulling my chain??"

OK so I was walking up the driveway today and noticed a long chain hanging from the spare tire. I never noticed it there before but may never have been looking up at the car from that angle.
Any other 570 owners have about 8-10" of chain hanging from the center of the spare tire?

I'm heading down to the dealer tomorrow to check theirs but just had to ask.

I love the fact that the suspension goes up so high, it made it easy to get under the car to wrap the chain and shorten the "dangle".
Old 04-27-08, 06:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I only have 4-5 inches of chain hanging. Is the face of your wheel facing up or down, towards the ground. Mine is facing up and I feel that it is going to be hard to check or add air as I can not get to the valve without releasing the tire!
Old 04-27-08, 07:28 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I only have 4-5 inches of chain hanging. Is the face of your wheel facing up or down, towards the ground. Mine is facing up and I feel that it is going to be hard to check or add air as I can not get to the valve without releasing the tire!
My spare tire (wheel) is facing up also. After I wrapped the chain there is much less hanging down. It just caught me off guard because I hadn't noticed it before.
Remember that your air pressure for the spare is included on the readout (when you scroll thru display on the steering wheel)
Plus I believe the dealership said they will maintain the pressure since it's nitrogen in the tires instead of "air"
Old 04-29-08, 03:58 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trusso
My spare tire (wheel) is facing up also. After I wrapped the chain there is much less hanging down. It just caught me off guard because I hadn't noticed it before.
Remember that your air pressure for the spare is included on the readout (when you scroll thru display on the steering wheel)
Plus I believe the dealership said they will maintain the pressure since it's nitrogen in the tires instead of "air"
Yes, I am wondering when I got my tires changed from the Dunlops to the MIchelins, did they use nitrogen again. I notice that the indicated pressure of all four tires would go up equally where now after the new tires, the pressure can be off a couple of pounds! I purchased a $70 air gauge and am setting my air to exactly 35lbs front and back (cold) as per instructions from my dealer. Could it be air instead of nitrogen doing this?
Old 04-29-08, 07:11 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Yes, I am wondering when I got my tires changed from the Dunlops to the MIchelins, did they use nitrogen again. I notice that the indicated pressure of all four tires would go up equally where now after the new tires, the pressure can be off a couple of pounds! I purchased a $70 air gauge and am setting my air to exactly 35lbs front and back (cold) as per instructions from my dealer. Could it be air instead of nitrogen doing this?
My tires are usually off each other by about a pound at all times. I also notice that from a cold start to a long drive I notice a psi change of maybe 2+- psi. Ask the dealership if they remembered the nitrogen.
I think the dealership said they would maintain the pressure for me as well.
Remember that once you add "air" now that comprimises the nitrogen and you will have more expansion in your tires...(funny enough that it shouldnt matter that much, just that the nitrogen is so cool)

Also, I had a guy in a McLaren SLR give me a thumbs up Saturday when I was driving the 570. I would have traded him if he asked nicely...
Old 05-01-08, 04:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Seeing that our atmosphere is already 80% nitrogen, I have trouble believing all this but there may be some benifits. I undertstand the nitrogen does not get thru the rubber as quickly as air but if that were so after time, I would think you would have nothing but nitrogen in the tires!

I just notice the PSI on the screen being closer before the tire thing. At my next service, I will have them replenish my nitrogen. Wonder how many times they inflate and deflate to purge?

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-02-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 08:16 AM
trusso
Pole Position

I thought that the benefit was that Nitrogen didn't react to heat or cold as much as "air". Having nitrogen in your tires will keep a more constant pressure on cold days, also hot days with freeway driving (heat generating).

I looked to Wikipedia and yes, 78% of our air is nitrogen....
So now let me say, when they are charging $50-$75 to "refill" your tires with nitrogen, they are doing a great job.....of marketing!!!!!
That is truly "selling ice to Eskimos"!!!
...OK, just found this too.....they jury is out!!

http://getnitrogen.org/
Old 05-04-08, 08:23 AM
trusso
Pole Position

On that website, Jay Leno has a video. Now I'm sold because he's Jay Leno. He's just a normal guy like us and a car lover (like when he sits down on the doorsill of his McLaren to chat with us...just a normal guy)
I'll take it in the 570 because it's free. If I can talk them into airing up my GS, Corvette and motorcycles, I'll take it free too.
Old 05-04-08, 01:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

From what i hear, Nitrogen is not worth it, esp. when you have to pay for it. I would just use air and then check your tires periodically...once every 1-2 months and once at the beginning of every weather temp change. If you guys care about your truck, then this check is a way to bond with it! And since you guys have the air monitoring system, you may not need to be so **** with the Nitrogen crap.

Greg, IMHO, if your new tires are the same size as your stock tires (on stock rims), then you need to stick with FACTORY (owner's manual) recommendations. Those tire shop guys just know one thing...35 psi is good for all truck tires...go ask any garage and they will say the same thing. They are right in that 35 psi won't do any harm to truck/SUV tires and is a good round number to remember. However, for the benefit of your truck and general comfort, i would go with the factory settings. Remember, Lexus engineers spend a lot of time designing your truck air/electronic suspension and tire/rim combo to get it "just right" for the luxury customer like yourself. I would not screw up their hard work based on some tire garage monkey's general recommendation.

Disclaimer: if you upsize or put on heavier duty tires, then you can go away from factory recommendation by a little bit.
Old 05-04-08, 02:41 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
From what i hear, Nitrogen is not worth it, esp. when you have to pay for it. I would just use air and then check your tires periodically...once every 1-2 months and once at the beginning of every weather temp change. If you guys care about your truck, then this check is a way to bond with it! And since you guys have the air monitoring system, you may not need to be so **** with the Nitrogen crap.

Greg, IMHO, if your new tires are the same size as your stock tires (on stock rims), then you need to stick with FACTORY (owner's manual) recommendations. Those tire shop guys just know one thing...35 psi is good for all truck tires...go ask any garage and they will say the same thing. They are right in that 35 psi won't do any harm to truck/SUV tires and is a good round number to remember. However, for the benefit of your truck and general comfort, i would go with the factory settings. Remember, Lexus engineers spend a lot of time designing your truck air/electronic suspension and tire/rim combo to get it "just right" for the luxury customer like yourself. I would not screw up their hard work based on some tire garage monkey's general recommendation.

Disclaimer: if you upsize or put on heavier duty tires, then you can go away from factory recommendation by a little bit.
Uhhh, the tire people did not advise me to go up to 35psi, it was the Lexus service people. They have not just told me once but on two occasions.

As far as using nitrogen. . . this has all been talked to death. Not sure if it improves performance but the 570 did come with it installed. Does not mean it is mandatory, it is more a personal preference.

I have waxed my 570 4 times in a little under 6000 miles.

"We" ARE bonded!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-04-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 05:55 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I'm filling mine with nitrous tomorrow.
I'll start a new string when I have results..

BOOM !!!!
Old 05-04-08, 06:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Uhhh, the tire people did not advise me to go up to 35psi, it was the Lexus service people. They have not just told me once but on two occasions.
Even worst!