LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Driving and handling of the LX570

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 05:06 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Driving and handling of the LX570

Not much said about the handling qualities of the LX570.

I will have to say the 570 handles way different than the 470. To me it takes less effort to maintain where you want to be on the road at highway speeds. My 470 sometimes seemed to do a little wandering and took a little more attention than the 570.

Just interested in other owners opinion
Old 03-16-08, 05:58 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

I will have to say the 570 handles way different than the 470. To me it takes less effort to maintain where you want to be on the road at highway speeds. My 470 sometimes seemed to do a little wandering and took a little more attention than the 570.

Good morning Greg.

I can only compare my LX470 with the Lexus my wife drives, the 2006 LS430, now that you mention the LX does some wandering at speed lower than 50 mph at higher velocity it glues to the road.
The LX470 should drive even better with the new pairs of shoes, just the short drive from the dealer to my home I notice a very nice difference in driving.
I am really looking forward for a heavy downpour while driving I-95 corridor with the new Michelins.
Reading your posts I get antsy toward the LX570. I really want one but my budget tells me to wait.
Old 03-16-08, 09:11 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt have been happier with the old body style but indeed the new 570 is much better. The switch to adjust the suspension is great, "soft" on highway trips, "hard" on windy roads. This makes more of a difference than on the previous model as well.
Very solid platform, almost feels like a car rather than a truck (SUV, whatever)
Old 03-16-08, 10:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trusso
I couldnt have been happier with the old body style but indeed the new 570 is much better. The switch to adjust the suspension is great, "soft" on highway trips, "hard" on windy roads. This makes more of a difference than on the previous model as well.
Very solid platform, almost feels like a car rather than a truck (SUV, whatever)
I noticed that the shock/ride adjustment worked way better on the 570, too! No just a little but alot.

I still think the LX470 has handsome bodywork, they are and will always be classy looking to me. It is taking some time for the 570 body style to grow on me but I have to say I am starting to like it more and more. Just looking over the hood takes a good bit to get used to.

The handling is like something completly different and more enjoyable. The extra horses allow you to drive with "attitude".
Old 03-16-08, 06:18 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I noticed that the shock/ride adjustment worked way better on the 570, too! No just a little but alot
This is one of the advertised features about the AHC. It works faster and is improved.

Just looking over the hood takes a good bit to get used to.
The curves of the hood are much more noticed on the LX570 and that was one of the first things I noticed

Question for you Greg since you have had the LX570 for a while. Is that big a deal that they didn't go IRS? I don't think it is on the LX so I was just wondering what an owner thinks
Old 03-16-08, 08:35 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Pagemaster, IRS?!! Dude, why would it need IRS?? It rides supremely already...if the ride was crappy, then yeah, i can see where you are coming from (IF off-roading is not your thing). I much prefer solid axle over independent suspension for an all-purpose/all-terrain vehicle. There is no question which one is tougher and more durable. If anyone tells you otherwise, then he/she has his head up his ****!
Old 03-16-08, 10:01 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This is one of the advertised features about the AHC. It works faster and is improved.

The curves of the hood are much more noticed on the LX570 and that was one of the first things I noticed

Question for you Greg since you have had the LX570 for a while. Is that big a deal that they didn't go IRS? I don't think it is on the LX so I was just wondering what an owner thinks
I'm not sure if Greg was talking about the AHC (I'm guessing height control??) (though that is much faster and I like that fact that you can have the car lower when you turn the car off) but the setting of how stiff the shocks are (that's what I mentioned in my note)
We have had our 570 since late December and I couldnt imagine a better ride on the road. I set the suspension to "soft" on the highway and just cruise....

One thing I do notice is the acronym thing is driving me crazy. I need to look everything up in the book...
Old 03-16-08, 10:31 PM
Twstrchasr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pagemaster

Maybe Lexus should have used the Sequoia platform rather than the LC. With the Seq you would have the IRS for a smoother ride/ improved on-road handling, folding flat 3rd row seats, much more space due to it being a larger vehicle, etc. Lexus would then have a XL sized ute to entice the Escalade, Navigator crowd. The IRS would be a non issue since the majority of its original owners rarely, if ever leave the blacktop.

Then Toyota could have the LC exclusively as its halo vehicle. Maybe even offer it in a few different trim levels insted of hard loaded only....

OK, I know....Keep dreaming !!!
Old 03-17-08, 01:12 AM
lexusrott
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trusso
I'm not sure if Greg was talking about the AHC (I'm guessing height control??) (though that is much faster and I like that fact that you can have the car lower when you turn the car off) but the setting of how stiff the shocks are (that's what I mentioned in my note)
We have had our 570 since late December and I couldnt imagine a better ride on the road. I set the suspension to "soft" on the highway and just cruise....

One thing I do notice is the acronym thing is driving me crazy. I need to look everything up in the book...

Acronym !

Working at the Kennedy Space Center, that is the "Mother of all Acronyms".
Old 03-17-08, 06:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I was talking about the ride control that adjusts the dampening of the shocks. The LX470 has the same feature but it did not greatly change the ride as much as it does on the 570.

No on the Sequoia platform for me. The one thing I told my saleperson when I handed him my deposit over a year ago is that if the 570 unit was much larger than the 470, I wanted to be able to bail out. Mine carries just me about 95% of the time and I would rather have the added performance gain from the extra horses than a larger echo in the 2nd and 3rd row seating area.
Old 03-17-08, 08:20 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I was talking about the ride control that adjusts the dampening of the shocks. The LX470 has the same feature but it did not greatly change the ride as much as it does on the 570.

No on the Sequoia platform for me. The one thing I told my saleperson when I handed him my deposit over a year ago is that if the 570 unit was much larger than the 470, I wanted to be able to bail out. Mine carries just me about 95% of the time and I would rather have the added performance gain from the extra horses than a larger echo in the 2nd and 3rd row seating area.
Gotcha...dampening thing, height thing, both are better..
The car isnt much larger on the outside, but seems so much larger on the inside...
The 570 is my wifes car so I dont drive as much as she does. I just asked her if she would prefer IRS on her car and her response was "I have no idea what you are talking about"....
Old 03-18-08, 03:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

The feeling of "larger" from the inside is shared by me. When I first got my 570, I felt this thing was huge from the inside. You then get out and see that it is the same size as my 470. I know there are small differences but when the 570 and 470 are parked next to each other, there is no difference.

To me the real difference is in the bodywork on the outside, no doubt it is different, like it or not. On the inside, I have all the electronic features of my LS460 in what I "feel" is a cavernous interior. For some reason when I look in the rear view mirror, the rear window seem more distant!

Maybe they are doing it with mirrors!

What ever it is, I am not looking back. Waiting on my dealer to call me and see if they can get the Michelins in time for my 5K
Old 03-18-08, 09:52 PM
trusso
Pole Position

The feeling of "larger" from the inside is shared by me. When I first got my 570, I felt this thing was huge from the inside. You then get out and see that it is the same size as my 470. I know there are small differences but when the 570 and 470 are parked next to each other, there is no difference.

To me the real difference is in the bodywork on the outside, no doubt it is different, like it or not. On the inside, I have all the electronic features of my LS460 in what I "feel" is a cavernous interior. For some reason when I look in the rear view mirror, the rear window seem more distant!

Maybe they are doing it with mirrors!

What ever it is, I am not looking back. Waiting on my dealer to call me and see if they can get the Michelins in time for my 5K
What will the Michelins give you that the stock tires dont?
I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.
The only thing I considered was a more aggressive tire for the snow trips but I don't think Florida has much of that concern....
Old 03-21-08, 07:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

No, not counting a serious ice and snow storm Jacksonville had long ago at Christmas, we see little of the stuff. What you do need is a good highway tire that is quiet and performs good in wet and dry.

The Dunlops are fine and have caused no problems, guess they could be a little better in wet but then I could step on the case less agressively, too!

I have always been more comfortable on Michelins. These Michelins are not rated vastly better than the Dunlops I have on now. Just a preference thing.
Old 03-21-08, 08:26 AM
trusso
Pole Position

No, not counting a serious ice and snow storm Jacksonville had long ago at Christmas, we see little of the stuff. What you do need is a good highway tire that is quiet and performs good in wet and dry.

The Dunlops are fine and have caused no problems, guess they could be a little better in wet but then I could step on the case less agressively, too!

I have always been more comfortable on Michelins. These Michelins are not rated vastly better than the Dunlops I have on now. Just a preference thing.

We dont get snow here but when we go to the mountains. This winter hasnt been a big one.
I'm anxious to see if the chain control people say the stock tires on the 570 are "mud and snow" enough to let me by.
They have asked me to "chain up" before when I was in my dually (big monster 6wheel drive machine)

Quick Reply: Driving and handling of the LX570