Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Lexus LX570 press release

Here in early 08 383hp whoot! haha

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2007082827359
Old 09-05-07, 01:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like some cool features. Gotta love Lexus for that, just wish they worked a little harder on the exterior design.
Old 09-05-07, 01:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope to get a chance to sit inside an LX 570 and play with some of the gadgets...inside looks incredible. Hopefully it looks better outside in person.
Old 09-09-07, 05:30 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

What is interesting is that, contrary to earlier press release, the air suspension on the LX570 is DIAGONALLY cross-linked. Basically, this is fancy version of the XREAS on the 4runner! Initially, i thought that it was left and right linked, like the Range Rover's system, and thus would be nice to have off-road. I am not too sure that this diagonally-linked suspension will do much more off-road than before.

" Crawl Control also actuates a set of virtual locking differentials to minimize tire slippage and optimize chassis behavior."

I assume that this means that when in 4-LO, ATRAC is more aggressive (aka like FJ Cruiser's ATRAC).

Well, if the above suspension is true, then Lexus has not made the new LX any more off-road capable. Lexus just improve it's on-road behavior.
Old 09-12-07, 01:45 AM
CACressida
Rookie

Originally Posted by tigmd99
What is interesting is that, contrary to earlier press release, the air suspension on the LX570 is DIAGONALLY cross-linked. Basically, this is fancy version of the XREAS on the 4runner! Initially, i thought that it was left and right linked, like the Range Rover's system, and thus would be nice to have off-road. I am not too sure that this diagonally-linked suspension will do much more off-road than before.

" Crawl Control also actuates a set of virtual locking differentials to minimize tire slippage and optimize chassis behavior."

I assume that this means that when in 4-LO, ATRAC is more aggressive (aka like FJ Cruiser's ATRAC).

Well, if the above suspension is true, then Lexus has not made the new LX any more off-road capable. Lexus just improve it's on-road behavior.
Crawl Controls Virtual lockers kinda struck me too. I actually sat for 5 mins thinking "Virtual, Lockers"...wtf? ATRAC sounds like virtual lockers Either way, the LC/LX have always been incredible offroaders. Making it alot bigger would kinda take some of them creds away.
Old 09-12-07, 09:06 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99

The diagonally cross-linked suspension is designed for better on road stability. The 4Runner when eqquipped does not roll very much when turning on corners or ramps. This set up does not affect off road abilitly. In fact, the 4runner is a more capable off road vehicle than the Land Cruiser/Lx470.

The crawl control does not have to be engaged on the 4runner/GX470. You turn it on it you want in low range only.

Well, if the above suspension is true, then Lexus has not made the new LX any more off-road capable. Lexus just improve it's on-road behavior
The LX570 will still be able to run with just lo range and now electronics adds.

Lx570 will be a better off-road vehicle.
Old 09-12-07, 12:00 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lx570 will be a better off-road vehicle.
I'm not quite convinced of this yet, I haven't really seen any hard off-roading stats like, for example, ground clearance, approach/departure/breakover angles, etc.

With 20" 50 series tires the '08 LX is not something that I would want to take offroad without some wheel/tire mods. My '98 LX had 16" 70 series tires which was great for off-road, the '03+ not as good with 18" 60 series tires.

Also, I noticed the '08 still has the identical 112.2" wheelbase, but the body is 4" longer - this doesn't bode well for approach/departure angles. The press materials also say it's about an inch wider, so it will be more susceptible to scratches on skinny trails too.

On the plus side it has 401 lb/ft of torque, and combined with the extra 6th gear I would imagine its climbing ability and crawl ratio will be a bit better then before. Plus it supposedly has a computer to aid in throttle control when crawling and activate "virtual lockers" however I'm not sure what a "virtual locker" is and whether it's any different from ATRAC?

The other thing I liked is it says the air suspension will raise 3" when you go into low range. I don't remember my '98 being able to raise itself that much over the "normal" height. I'm a little skeptical of this press release claim, I wonder if it's really an extra 3" compared to normal height which would be awesome or if instead it's just 3" when compared to the "low" height.

Bottom line is I think it's too early to say if it's a better offroader - time will tell.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-12-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 12:30 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Pagemaster,

XREAS on the 4runner does NOT improve it's off-road capability.

I don't see where the 4runner is superior to the TLC/LX in off-roading except for size. What are you referring to when you state that 4runner/GX is better than TLC/LX??? I can list various things that give the LX470 the advantage off-road.

The 4runner/GX has only one version of ATRAC. Some claim that in 4-LO, the ATRAC is a bit more aggressive, but it's still somewhat debatable. I felt that way when i had my '02 4runner. The other tidbit for the 4runner is the center diff lock, which you can lock either in 4-Hi or 4-LO. So, i don't know what you're talking about when you said that it already has "crawl control"?? Do you mean DAC or HAC?? Neither of these are crawl control.

I assume that the new LX570 will have two version of ATRAC...similar what FJ CRuiser has. One version with be for on-road and all-season (TRAC on FJ). The other version is for off-roading only and is only available in 4-LO (ATRAC optional on FJ). In 4-LO, ATRAC is far more aggressive at clamping down on the slipping wheel...much more aggressive than what the 4runner and LX470 have right now (in either 4-LO or 4-HI). Thus, this 4-LO ATRAC mode acts like a "virtual locker."
Old 09-12-07, 12:38 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
With 20" 50 series tires the '08 LX is not something that I would want to take offroad without some wheel/tire mods. My '98 LX had 16" 70 series tires which was great for off-road, the '03+ not as good with 18" 60 series tires.

Also, I noticed the '08 still has the identical 112.2" wheelbase, but the body is 4" longer - this doesn't bode well for approach/departure angles.

The other thing I liked is it says the air suspension will raise 3" when you go into low range.
Gatorgreg is right.

The new LX's rim & tire spec sucks if you are into off-roading. Well, you can always switch to a smaller rim, right? Nope. The new LX has much bigger brake discs and calipers (probably on-par with or even bigger than the new Tundra). This will make rim selection limited to 18" or bigger i am sure. Although more and more tire companies are coming out with AT tires for the bling rims, they are still far in between and of questionable usefulness and strength. Sidewall strength is the first to go when you go to low-profile sizes.

At least with the 2003-2007 LX470s, you could downsize the rims to 16" rims.

The increase length in nose and tail probably mandated it's high-raising air suspension...to keep it in tune with the current LX470's approach/departure angles. So, i predict that the approach/departure angles will be similar to now.
Old 09-12-07, 01:32 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

XREAS on the 4runner does NOT improve it's off-road capability.
I never said that it did affect off-road ability.
Old 09-12-07, 01:37 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Sorry boys. I am referring to downhill assist when I am talking about crawl control. My bad.
Old 09-12-07, 04:51 PM
chip99
Rookie

hey i got an invite form lexus to view their 08 models on sept 21 do you think the lx will be there??? its here in new jersey; does anyone else plan on attending??
Old 09-12-07, 04:51 PM
chip99
Rookie

sorry forgot there is a youtube video of a walk around at some sort of show shows alot of the interior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPPE6pQ02k
Old 09-13-07, 11:24 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chip99
sorry forgot there is a youtube video of a walk around at some sort of show shows alot of the interior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHPPE6pQ02k
Thanks for the link to the video.

The new Lexus Lx570 is going to be an improvement in every way compared to the current generation. So what it will be a bit bigger and wider but 99% of buyers likely do not take this truck off road anyway.

Also, I am really liking the styling now. The power 2nd row and third row seats are big plus. The interior will be the best out there. The power is there. The size is there. The towing capacity is there. Lets just hope they don't increase the price to much.
Old 09-13-07, 01:23 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Lets just hope they don't increase the price to much.
It would be a mistake for them to increase the price at all. In fact imho they should keep the price basically unchanged, but include more equipment standard. Reasons:

1. Lexus has nothing to compete with high-mpg 6/7/8 seaters from MB and (next year) Audi. I am thinking of diesels, obviously, and down the road, diesel hybrids. Given that it has both a larger engine and larger dimensions than the 470, the 570, even with more modern technology, is unlikely to get better than 13 mpg combined (which is what the 470 gets now), vs 20 mpg combined for the GL320 CDI and 21 for the R320 CDI. See fueleconomy.gov

2. As I have posted in the past, the large luxury SUV segment is alot more competitive now than it was when the LX450/470 first came out. If Lexus wants to take back a leading market share in the segment (beyond the initial "rush" when the 570 first comes out), it needs to be price-aggressive.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus LX570 press release