LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Competitive Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 01:40 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Competitive Considerations

So the LX570 is coming (and I am considering) but when will the redesigned Range Rover be released? How will it compare?

Also, if you were to make a car decision would it be:
A: LX570
B: Range Rover (let's just assume it is todays body style)
C: Wait for the new 7

I have a boxster coming off lease in the not too distant future and need to decide...
Old 06-14-07, 09:21 PM
Aristanet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a consumer report recently where they rated reliability of all new cars and Range Rover was dead last. Number 1 was a Porsche and Lexus was in 2nd spot. I don’t remember where BMW was. I wish I could find that list somewhere, but I can’t.
Old 06-15-07, 08:04 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

I also read that on the LS forum. I really love the Range so I wish they could get their act together. One thing that I am going to do if I do decide that the Range is the right car is lease it so I am never out of warranty. That should help keep costs down...

The LX is really nice and would be the car I would go with if it wasn't for that strange taillight configuration. I looked very closely at the car (LX570) since my last post and that one thing may be the deal breaker for me which is such a shame because I really like the car aside from that (especially the interior).
Old 06-15-07, 11:29 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how often are you going to see the tail lights? it'll grow on you in time. you'll see the inside way more!
Old 06-15-07, 11:45 AM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

I've had a lot of Rovers and they are hit or miss. The newer ones are much better. If you are buying new and plan to own it less than 4/50K then what's the worry. If it breaks they will come pick it up and you'll get a decent Discovery whilst it is in the garage.

Buy what you like. If you get an LX and every time you pass a new RR you think "shoulda, coulda woulda" then you know what the answer was.

Without seeing the new LX in person yet I would hesitate to say...but a new RR is not going to be anytime in the near future. With the eminent sale of LR by Ford another motor change may be a possibility (unless LR and Jag go to the same buyer) but I doubt we'll see a completely new body style for many years. The first Range Rover ran for 30 years with few small cosmetic changes along the way. The second ran from '94 - '02 ('95 being the first year in NA). I think the current one will outlive the second generation.
Old 06-15-07, 11:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, the Range Rover line has its share of problems. At the bottom or near the bottom of every reliability survey out there.

Sucks, because the Range Rovers are such awesome looking and performing vehicles.

The next model is supposed to be released in another 2-3 years I believe (theres been a few spy pics of it). Its going to be the first SUV built on an all aluminum body. So the weight should drop by a few hundred pounds and be a lot stronger. Plus it should have more powerful engines with a class leading interior as always.

Theres been quite a few pictures in the Car Chat about the new 7-series. I just posted an interior picture of the model last week. Doesnt look that different from the current model on the inside. Exterior, dont know yet. To much camo.

I've seen the new LX in person and IMO, it really doesnt look any different than it does in pictures and that to me i truely upsetting. The new LX could have been so much better (though the interior is to die for!!)
Old 06-16-07, 06:47 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Caoboy
how often are you going to see the tail lights? it'll grow on you in time. you'll see the inside way more!
It depends on how bad it looks in person as it will just bother me but you do make a good point. The interior is REALLY nice looking.

Originally Posted by TXLX
I've had a lot of Rovers and they are hit or miss. The newer ones are much better. If you are buying new and plan to own it less than 4/50K then what's the worry. If it breaks they will come pick it up and you'll get a decent Discovery whilst it is in the garage.

Buy what you like. If you get an LX and every time you pass a new RR you think "shoulda, coulda woulda" then you know what the answer was.

Without seeing the new LX in person yet I would hesitate to say...but a new RR is not going to be anytime in the near future. With the eminent sale of LR by Ford another motor change may be a possibility (unless LR and Jag go to the same buyer) but I doubt we'll see a completely new body style for many years. The first Range Rover ran for 30 years with few small cosmetic changes along the way. The second ran from '94 - '02 ('95 being the first year in NA). I think the current one will outlive the second generation.
You are right, I am not going to buy this thing outright, this is a definite lease no matter which way I go since I am always anxious to get the latest model. The new one isn't supposed to be out until 2012 from what I hear. This is going to be a really tough decision because the Range is really nice and at the top of prestige. Although on the other hand, the LX is priced much better.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Theres been quite a few pictures in the Car Chat about the new 7-series. I just posted an interior picture of the model last week. Doesnt look that different from the current model on the inside. Exterior, dont know yet. To much camo.

I've seen the new LX in person and IMO, it really doesnt look any different than it does in pictures and that to me i truely upsetting. The new LX could have been so much better (though the interior is to die for!!)
I am now leaning away from the 7 as I am SO impressed with the LS460. I can't imagine that the 7 will impress me that much more so why have two cars that are so similar...

You are right, the LX could have definitely been better. For one, Lexus needs to add decent rims. My wife has the RX330 and I think that the large 5 star rims make the car look great. In almost every other model the rims aren't that attractive. Believe it or not, on the LS460 it is almost impossible to switch rims (many discussions on this) so hopefully this won't be the case with the LX570.
Old 06-16-07, 12:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think the GX compare more to the Range. If you arent in a hurry maybe you could wait and see if they put the 5.7 is the GX and what improvements they make.
IMO the GX is also a step ahead of the LX style wise, but not quite at the level of the RR.
Old 06-17-07, 05:41 PM
TXLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think the GX compare more to the Range. If you arent in a hurry maybe you could wait and see if they put the 5.7 is the GX and what improvements they make.
IMO the GX is also a step ahead of the LX style wise, but not quite at the level of the RR.
Apparently you haven't owned either one or the other.
Old 06-18-07, 05:49 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I would also consider Mercedes GL550 (gas) that is coming out in a few months or the GL420 (diesel). If you're into off-roading, then i would not get this Mercedes and stick to your options above. However, if you're looking for something nice to ride around in, then i would seriously consider the GL. Apparently, the recent MB designs have been rocksolid in both reliability and functionality.

I would not normally recommend this vehicle (or any MB car products for that matter; thus, i love it that my G500 is not built in Germany!) because of Mercedes history of reliability issues, but recent JD Powers survey has me re-evaluate Mercedes new designs.
Old 06-18-07, 08:34 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

The GL is a nice car but it looks a little less aggressive than I want. Also, I am just coming off a Mercedes (sold it in November) and so I want something completely different.

I wonder if BMW will ever come out with an X7. It seems like they are really missing out on a market segment. The X3 and X5 sell so well that you would think the X7 would do the same. It would also give the people advancing through the product lines an option. I guess they sort of had this one time with Range Rover but since sold it.
Old 06-18-07, 10:46 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh yeah, the new X5 is awefully nice....
Old 06-18-07, 05:48 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TXLX
Apparently you haven't owned either one or the other.
No, not really a Jeep person, but I have driven both the LX and GX
Old 07-11-07, 05:57 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Wait for the new 7.

Considering everyone is just now catching up (new S class, new LS) to the 7 BMW put out FIVE YEARS ago, I think the 7 is the way to go.

Technophile's wet dream + ultimate driving machine = BMW 7