LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

08 LX vs 08 XQ56 vs everything else

Old 06-12-07, 07:39 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 LX vs 08 XQ56 vs everything else

I currently have a 04 LX470 and need a new SUV. What I am specifically looking for is fold flat seats in the 3rd row (need a 3rd row). Need bluetooth. Need 4WD LO. Also need LATCH system in both R and L side of 2nd row (not just middle and one side). Need more power. Room is borderline. I have spend the last couple months driving every SUV out there...here is what I have found.

Escalade---nice looking suv, but no bluetooth. 3rd row seats are manual and need to come out if you need the extra room. No 4WD LO.

Audi Q7---very tech oriented even for me--who loves tech! Has a definite shifting issue with transmission lag from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd gear. Very comfortable. Too small. This was a good possibility, but the shifting is just horrible. ALso, it has a very stiff ride.

MB GL450---have to say this would be the SUV for me. There are only two issues...the front seat is beyond uncomfortable for me---the stitching in the back just for whatever reason kills me. Also, by the time I get my options, i am over 70k without taxes, title, etc.

QX56---the 08 version is upscale on interior, has everything i am looking for, and is actually much less expensive. I am aware there are some quality issues with that plant in mississippi, but atleast i would have a warranty and a lemon law backing me up. It has tons of space, fold flat 3rd row, real traffic info w gps, power, 4LO. The appearance i like--my wife thinks it looks horrible. What are others opinions on the features of this truck?

LR3---grossly underpowered. Not a very smooth drive (atlest compared to the LX). Not very upscale on the interior. Sunroof shade screen is only a screen, and still lets quite a bit of heat and light into the truck.

08 LX--everyone knows all about it already...I have seen MSRP listings on the internet that start at $69325 base price. Wow---its just getting too much for me unfortunately.

BMW--really no 3rd row,and too stiff of a drive, and too small.
Old 06-12-07, 01:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Where did you find the base price of $69,325?
Old 06-12-07, 01:31 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/sneak...m?ReviewID=152
Old 06-12-07, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pemarsh
I currently have a 04 LX470 and need a new SUV. What I am specifically looking for is fold flat seats in the 3rd row (need a 3rd row). Need bluetooth. Need 4WD LO. Also need LATCH system in both R and L side of 2nd row (not just middle and one side). Need more power. Room is borderline. I have spend the last couple months driving every SUV out there...here is what I have found.

Escalade---nice looking suv, but no bluetooth. 3rd row seats are manual and need to come out if you need the extra room. No 4WD LO.Very nice SUV. Hate the image of it and ther fact there are 500 variations of this thing, from ESV to Tahoe to Silverado, all the same. 400hp, big and flashy. Nice interior.

Audi Q7---very tech oriented even for me--who loves tech! Has a definite shifting issue with transmission lag from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd gear. Very comfortable. Too small. This was a good possibility, but the shifting is just horrible. ALso, it has a very stiff ride.
I like it b/c it is different, like a raised wagon. Usual Audi great materials, very busy dash though. Audi reliability is not too good. Drives great.

MB GL450---have to say this would be the SUV for me. There are only two issues...the front seat is beyond uncomfortable for me---the stitching in the back just for whatever reason kills me. Also, by the time I get my options, i am over 70k without taxes, title, etc.
Looks way to much like a Toyota Highlander for me. Interior is no better than a new Kia. Very expensive, good power, tons of options to make it the way you want

QX56---the 08 version is upscale on interior, has everything i am looking for, and is actually much less expensive. I am aware there are some quality issues with that plant in mississippi, but atleast i would have a warranty and a lemon law backing me up. It has tons of space, fold flat 3rd row, real traffic info w gps, power, 4LO. The appearance i like--my wife thinks it looks horrible. What are others opinions on the features of this truck?
I don't understand why this thing costs more than 20 grand, its that poor. Rattles, the paint is cheap, the interior is not of a 50k anything, cheap details all over, and looks like a vehicle from Star Wars, I think the Ewoks drove them..Positives, good power, very big on the inside and no image so no one will care about your 50k vehicle and say "he got a raise"

LR3---grossly underpowered. Not a very smooth drive (atlest compared to the LX). Not very upscale on the interior. Sunroof shade screen is only a screen, and still lets quite a bit of heat and light into the truck.
Not even an option. They continue to be LAST LAST LAST in quality

08 LX--everyone knows all about it already...I have seen MSRP listings on the internet that start at $69325 base price. Wow---its just getting too much for me unfortunately.
I am going to have to see this in person b/c the looks do nothing for me. On the plus side, you know Lexus has gotten everything right. Interior is best in class with the RR, tech and features galore, quality through and through. Its an LX, it will be excellent

X5 does have a 3rd row now, its gained 800lbs and length and width. Looks good inside and out, great driver. Very pricey and the I-6 is very underpowered, you almost have to get the V_8
To be honest this is one class of cars that does not blow me away. I would say the Escalade, LX and X5 are my front runners.
Old 06-12-07, 02:47 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would choose Audi Q7 any day, since it looks good and has great features for the price. The AUdi reliability are very good now, ignore what people say about not good reliability. We have 50,000 miles on our 2006 Audi A8L already with no problems at all. It is like a German car with Lexus qualities. Only if I could get a diesel option with great torque like my uncle who owns a Q7 TDI in England with 32 mpg.
Old 07-03-07, 09:27 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks way to much like a Toyota Highlander for me. Interior is no better than a new Kia. Very expensive, good power, tons of options to make it the way you want.
I protest! I think my Highlander looks much better than the GL450
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401443/

Old 07-08-07, 09:27 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say a few things:

X5: why? I would recommend a used 06 because the 07's look horrible. I mean, when the X3's first came out they had all that plastic on the exterior, but the X5's did not. Now the X3's shed the plastic and gave it to the X5's. Tell you what, I'm not spending more money for plastic. Only "extra" money I'd spend on plastic would be a rack for my wife. whenever I get one. haha!

QX: Have never driven one. If the engine's anything like a g35, f* it. That means that you'd sit at a light...the revs would just shoot up and you'd be burning rubber because of too much weight.

LR: I'd like to talk to someone that works for LR and ask them where they see themselves in 5 years. Answer "A" would not be: "working here". I used to be astonished by land rover's when I was younger because it was so cool looking. then came 19 and florida and bentley's and range's. I'll see LR's today and say to myself, "why didnt you just buy a used one from back in the day".

LX: Never been in an LX, but the 570 is officially the truck I want above all others. There was something about the first pic I saw of one that just hit me. Something about it says "look at me, my big F*kn front end, and my ***, if only you could see inside"! I'm really in love with the new 570s. and the power sold me on it too!

Q7: I've always loved audi's, and the new body curves are hot. I'd take one. Plus those carpets on the inside, HOLY Sh*it!!! I'm so redoing the carpeting in my house to those carpets.

can't wait to test drive an LX
Old 07-09-07, 07:42 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm somewhat in the same situation you are. I've been reviewing different suvs from the escalade/tahoe/yukon/denali, MB GL320/450, X5, RR, QX, Q7, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't found one that I quite like yet. I need something larger than the current GX I'm driving, but without going to the extra-large SUVs. The few things I wanted were Nav (once you own one, you wonder how you made it w/out!), AWD, more cargo space (I couldn't care about the 3rd row unless they folded flat and out of the way), towing capability for either a 23' boat or trailer, and HIDs. The only thing that comes close is the Escalade, but I'm not seroiusly feeling that vehicle. I blame all the idiots out there driving the 'lades w/ 22" rims, dropped and sound systems that can rattle your rear molars :|.

I seriously wish the LX or cruiser was released so I could re-evaluate my options.
Old 07-10-07, 04:20 PM
vader11
Rookie

Originally Posted by pemarsh
There's a 3rd row in X5.
Old 07-10-07, 05:50 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This weekend I rented an Expedition (Eddie Bauer) from Hertz and I have to admit that I loved it! It was roomy, nice looking inside, nice looking outside ('07 model), third row power seats, etc. I never liked Ford much but this car really impressed me. The only problem is that I am not driving a car without a luxury badge and upgraded interior (I care about luxury as you can see by my screen name). In line with the Expedition, the Navigator is definitely worth considering IF you can get by the ugly grill (which I can't).
Old 07-11-07, 06:01 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The third row seat in the X5 is a joke. It can only hold 2 very small children. I think it's a 1500.00 option.

Craig
Old 08-13-07, 03:24 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I would choose Audi Q7 any day, since it looks good and has great features for the price. The AUdi reliability are very good now, ignore what people say about not good reliability. We have 50,000 miles on our 2006 Audi A8L already with no problems at all. It is like a German car with Lexus qualities.
Audi reliability doesn't carry over to the Q7:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/audi/q7/2007
Old 09-05-07, 08:41 AM
jly
Driver School Candidate

I made the mistake of wandering and now I know to stick with Lexus.

Although the exterior of the 570 is not enticing, the interior is superb. The many standards of Lexus is something you have to pay for in other vehicles.

I have a GL450 and it sucks. Yes, yes it rides nice but i'm already having problems with it. and the MB dealership and service? I'll give it a -10 compared to Lexus. You ask MB for a loaner and they look at you as if you're crazy. I guess you have to have the Mclaren before they give you 1st class service.

Many say that lexus has a boring drive, after a few deviations (i've had the porsche cayenne and now the gl) I'll take the "boring" drive if it means I will get excellent craftmanship and amazing service.
Old 09-05-07, 08:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by syswei
Audi reliability doesn't carry over to the Q7:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/audi/q7/2007
And unfortunately, it's related to the Cayenne and Touareg which is even WORSE. I am a huge Audi fan and I have not really followed the Q7's reliability but knowing that it's brother to the other two likely means trouble, but who knows?

Old 09-16-07, 02:47 AM
lexxtasy
Driver

Originally Posted by jly
I made the mistake of wandering and now I know to stick with Lexus.

Although the exterior of the 570 is not enticing, the interior is superb. The many standards of Lexus is something you have to pay for in other vehicles.

I have a GL450 and it sucks. Yes, yes it rides nice but i'm already having problems with it. and the MB dealership and service? I'll give it a -10 compared to Lexus. You ask MB for a loaner and they look at you as if you're crazy. I guess you have to have the Mclaren before they give you 1st class service.

Many say that lexus has a boring drive, after a few deviations (i've had the porsche cayenne and now the gl) I'll take the "boring" drive if it means I will get excellent craftmanship and amazing service.
Wow Im shocked to hear that about merc service, I thought they would know better then that

Well if you ask me the GL is a nice truck and all and since its been only a little while since you have had the truck, why not wait for the new lx570 and then compare your truck to that, and perhaps if you like it, then trade it in