Confusion on purchasing 2009 LX570

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 07:57 PM
rishsngh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusion on purchasing 2009 LX570

Hello everyone,

Just wanted some advices and opinions. I was planning to purchase a 2009 LX570 with 130k - km (not miles) but came across few things as I turned on the vehicle.
1. The AC fan had this humming sound as it tuned on.
2. There seem to be some exhaust noise, I believe probably due to some leakage somewhere below.
3. I got it checked form a Lexus dealer. The transmission, engine passed but air suspension didn't. The tech said there was some leakage on the drive front and rear side, as result the vehicle would lean towards one side by an inch or so when turned off but would correct itself as soon as the vechile will be turned on. Repairing cost = $1500

I got the Vin checked and it turned out the vehicle already had "rear air suspension lines", being replaced by Lexus.

The reason I was leaning towards LX 570 and GX460 is due to the Lexus reliability. Am I overthinking about this vehicle or this is particular vehicle not worth it.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-01-16, 08:57 AM
rishsngh
Rookie

Default Please help!

Hey Guys,

I am in a rush. Would really appreciate if someone could give some insight on this.
Please help!
Thanks
​​​​​
Old 11-01-16, 11:08 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best insight I can give you is that the 2009 LX does not have "air suspension". Why rush? Lots of fish in the sea.
Old 11-01-16, 11:51 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rishsngh
Hello everyone,

Just wanted some advices and opinions. I was planning to purchase a 2009 LX570 with 130k - km (not miles) but came across few things as I turned on the vehicle.
2. There seem to be some exhaust noise, I believe probably due to some leakage somewhere below.
3. I got it checked form a Lexus dealer. The transmission, engine passed but air suspension didn't. The tech said there was some leakage on the drive front and rear side, as result the vehicle would lean towards one side by an inch or so when turned off but would correct itself as soon as the vechile will be turned on. Repairing cost = $1500

I got the Vin checked and it turned out the vehicle already had "rear air suspension lines", being replaced by Lexus.

The reason I was leaning towards LX 570 and GX460 is due to the Lexus reliability. Am I overthinking about this vehicle or this is particular vehicle not worth it.

Thanks in advance!!
I just purchased a 2009 LX 570 w/80k+ miles. Vehicle is about as solid and reliable as they come. Engine/transmission/body is engineered for well over 300k miles in a rugged setting....

1) I'm not sure what the A/C hum sounds like. Can you describe it in a little more detail? Does the A/C blow cold air front/rear? I assumed you this vehicle inspected by a Lexus mechanic? What did the mechanic say about this hum?
2) Where do you hear the exhaust? Inside the truck or outside when the car is started?
3) I assume you mean the adjustable suspension which is hydraulic based. Repairs to this suspension from what I hear is pricey. It's a nice luxury, and helps lower the vehicle for ease of egress and ingress. I would use it as a bargaining chip. Not sure if it's possible to have the air suspension removed and replaced with a fixed suspension. I'm sure others will chime in.

The LX 570 is Lexus/Toyota's best product, and not very many were made in the first place. In my area at least, used 470/570 are hard to find. If this one you are looking is in otherwise good shape, I would negotiate the price with the fixes in mind. If it's in rough shape, I would pass.

Got any pics by chance?
Old 11-01-16, 02:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
3, It's not at all uncommon to see left side a little lower than right side. Toyota has set pressure ranges for each of the 4 corners. Have your dealer give you a printout of what TIS (Toyota Information System) shows the pressures to be before you dump $$$$ into the AHC. Tech can also adjust the pressure(s) if required.
Old 11-01-16, 09:16 PM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by docboy
I just purchased a 2009 LX 570 w/80k+ miles. Vehicle is about as solid and reliable as they come. Engine/transmission/body is engineered for well over 300k miles in a rugged setting....

1) I'm not sure what the A/C hum sounds like. Can you describe it in a little more detail? Does the A/C blow cold air front/rear? I assumed you this vehicle inspected by a Lexus mechanic? What did the mechanic say about this hum?
2) Where do you hear the exhaust? Inside the truck or outside when the car is started?
3) I assume you mean the adjustable suspension which is hydraulic based. Repairs to this suspension from what I hear is pricey. It's a nice luxury, and helps lower the vehicle for ease of egress and ingress. I would use it as a bargaining chip. Not sure if it's possible to have the air suspension removed and replaced with a fixed suspension. I'm sure others will chime in.

The LX 570 is Lexus/Toyota's best product, and not very many were made in the first place. In my area at least, used 470/570 are hard to find. If this one you are looking is in otherwise good shape, I would negotiate the price with the fixes in mind. If it's in rough shape, I would pass.

Got any pics by chance?
Thanks for the detailed reply!

1. The Lexus mechanic only checked the suspension system. But I noticed this noise when I turned on the vehicle. The noise stopped when I turned of the fan. It seems like it's the blower.

2. I didn't hear the possible exhaust inside. Only outside when I started the vehicle.

3. My mechanic said I could do away with it if it doesn't bother me and deal with it when and if it become a major issue.

They are definitely a very hard to find in my area too. The inspection report passed everything except for the suspension. I was just concerned about having suspension problems at just 130k km. All others vehicles I have purchased have had a lot more mileage on them before any suspension problems.

I hope this is not a common LX problem!

No​​​​ pics yet!

Thanks

Last edited by rishsngh; 11-01-16 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 09:28 PM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by hankinid
3, It's not at all uncommon to see left side a little lower than right side. Toyota has set pressure ranges for each of the 4 corners. Have your dealer give you a printout of what TIS (Toyota Information System) shows the pressures to be before you dump $$$$ into the AHC. Tech can also adjust the pressure(s) if required.
Will do and all he told me was that there is a leak and will be normal after starting the vehicle. I hope this is not a common LX problem.

Thanks
Old 11-01-16, 09:29 PM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Best insight I can give you is that the 2009 LX does not have "air suspension". Why rush? Lots of fish in the sea.
Then what ​​​ kind suspension it is? LX are a hard find here.
Old 11-01-16, 10:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Will do and all he told me was that there is a leak and will be normal after starting the vehicle. I hope this is not a common LX problem.

Thanks
It's not common, and yet not unheard of. I would not worry if pressures are normal with engine running.

It's hydraulic. Tank is near the jack. Not a bad idea to have the system flushed with new fluid every 100K km.
Old 11-04-16, 12:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The suspension is hydraulic.

The AHC suspension in the LX is very reliable versus the crappy ones in others (like the MB with the air suspension in GL and SL and others which leaks all the time and not good at all.)

When I traded in my old 2000 LX470 for a brand new 2013 LX570 a few years ago..................I had some 280K++ miles on the old LX470. No problems with the AHC and of course I stuck with the factory service interval recommendations through out the life of the LX470 without fail since I wanted to be as trouble free as possible.

Yes, the height of the AHC is adjustable to a point by the Lexus dealer.

If there is a leak UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY, then I would definitely ask the Lexus dealer fix it. If out of warranty, then I would ask the selling party to give some concessions on price to get it fixed because obviously it is NOT normal to leak.

Old 11-12-16, 04:34 AM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by hankinid
It's not common, and yet not unheard of. I would not worry if pressures are normal with engine running.

It's hydraulic. Tank is near the jack. Not a bad idea to have the system flushed with new fluid every 100K km.

Ok. Do you think I should get the leak fixed or keep running with it. The leak is very minor. I hardly loose about 1 inch for 3-4 days when the car is not used. And it fills back up as i run it. My only worry is that if there is a pump, it might be over working to refill the suspension correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Old 11-12-16, 04:37 AM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The suspension is hydraulic.

The AHC suspension in the LX is very reliable versus the crappy ones in others (like the MB with the air suspension in GL and SL and others which leaks all the time and not good at all.)

When I traded in my old 2000 LX470 for a brand new 2013 LX570 a few years ago..................I had some 280K++ miles on the old LX470. No problems with the AHC and of course I stuck with the factory service interval recommendations through out the life of the LX470 without fail since I wanted to be as trouble free as possible.

Yes, the height of the AHC is adjustable to a point by the Lexus dealer.

If there is a leak UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY, then I would definitely ask the Lexus dealer fix it. If out of warranty, then I would ask the selling party to give some concessions on price to get it fixed because obviously it is NOT normal to leak.
Should I continue with using it or get it fixed. It hardly looses 1 inch when turned of for a period of 3-4 days and fill back up as I drive it. I hope the pump for suspension is not over working?
Old 11-12-16, 11:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would fix it.

Should I continue with using it or get it fixed. It hardly looses 1 inch when turned of for a period of 3-4 days and fill back up as I drive it. I hope the pump for suspension is not over working?
Old 12-02-16, 04:43 AM
rishsngh
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would fix it.
Hey! I don't understand. If it's hydraulic then and it leaks then I should atleast be able to see some sort of leak on the shocks or somewhere but I don't see anything?

Please help.
Old 12-02-16, 06:09 AM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I had this problem with a front leaky shock. The previous owner had the problem noted in the service record sense 80k miles and did not fix it; I purchased at 110k miles. I negotiated the price down and had the problem fixed at the dealership. May have been overkill, but I wanted to baseline the vehicle to ensure trouble free utility and peace of mind under my ownership.

Quick Reply: Confusion on purchasing 2009 LX570