LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 A/C filter

Old 10-09-03, 11:07 AM
wiliam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LX470 A/C filter

How do you get to the A/C filter to change it? And what does it look like? How do you know if it needs changing?
My dealer was too busy to show me but said "Trust me, I changed it." during routine maintenance.
Old 10-10-03, 09:10 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

The A/C filter is also called a "cabin air filter". P/N for my '99 LX470 is 88568-60010 (toyota part number), and it takes 2 filters, or 2 x (88568-60010).

Filters located forward of the glove box, in the HVAC Cooler Assembly.

Just remove the glove box by removing the 2 lower hinge mount securing screws, 1 screw each. Then remove the black plastic backing plate, 3 more screws, also separating the air bag widget from the plate to allow full removal of the plate.

The filters can be accessed by popping the filter cover off. (What can I say - sorry, no picture, it just looks like a filter cover, complete with a foam elastomer gasket.) Filters slide lengthwise out of the Cooler housing.

They are pleated, some kind of super-fine synthetic weave, in a plastic rectangular frame. The pleats are snow-white when new, so you'll know by inspection if the Dealer actually changed them very recently. (A funny idea - a Dealer rep saying "trust me", ha ha.)

They are supposed to be changed every 15k miles or year, I think.

It's a 5 minute job to change them.

BTW, these filters have really come down in price. My first set, in '00, were ~$120+ for the set of 2. Recently they were $50 delivered for the set (Jaffarian Toyota / MA) or $65 from the local Dealer.

The local Dealer wasn't able to find them in his system, so I had to give him the P/N - then he found them. Apparently, most people never change them.

I think they're a good rough measure of local air quality. They look better at their yearly changeout here in my new locale than they did at my old locale. (It was a good move to make, from an air quality standpoint....

Last edited by Bobhgd; 10-11-03 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 10:55 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a diy of this with photos?
Old 11-01-04, 11:34 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a Lexus board, but does anyone know if the Land Cruiser has the cabin filter? THe manual isn't clear on it and the dealer doesn't know.
Old 11-02-04, 02:26 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Its funny - the cabin air filter being mysterious to the dealer.

I found the same comedy with the LX470.

Just remove the 2 glove box hinge mount screws and the glovebox itself.

The cabin HVAC unit is behind the glove box.

The filter set is behind a narrow rectangular cover plate with rounded corners and a foam gasket, in the HVAC unit. Right there behind the glove box. Remove the cover plate and the filters slide out. Quantity: 2 filters per set.

Easy.

No pix necessary. All will be clear once the glovebox is removed.

The Landcruiser has the same filters. I know because I always buy the Landcruiser filters, since they cost less than the Lexus filters, even though they are the exact same part. Hehe.

Toyota part number 88568-60010. I always have to give this to the dealer parts guy, because they can't find it. (Yes, it's funny, isn't it?) It's the Landcruiser cabin air filter part number.

Also, try Jaffarian Toyota for these - I bought these filters from Jaffarian the last few times because they've been cheaper than the local dealer, even with shipping. See

http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/

Last time I bought some they were $22.77 each or $52.69 total including S&H; they are getting cheaper every year, though, and they may be cheaper still, this year.

(Thanks for reminding me - it's time to replace mine again.

Last edited by Bobhgd; 11-02-04 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-02-04, 08:26 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bobhgd
Its funny - the cabin air filter being mysterious to the dealer.

I found the same comedy with the LX470.

Just remove the 2 glove box hinge mount screws and the glovebox itself.

The cabin HVAC unit is behind the glove box.

The filter set is behind a narrow rectangular cover plate with rounded corners and a foam gasket, in the HVAC unit. Right there behind the glove box. Remove the cover plate and the filters slide out. Quantity: 2 filters per set.

Easy.

No pix necessary. All will be clear once the glovebox is removed.

The Landcruiser has the same filters. I know because I always buy the Landcruiser filters, since they cost less than the Lexus filters, even though they are the exact same part. Hehe.

Toyota part number 88568-60010. I always have to give this to the dealer parts guy, because they can't find it. (Yes, it's funny, isn't it?) It's the Landcruiser cabin air filter part number.

Also, try Jaffarian Toyota for these - I bought these filters from Jaffarian the last few times because they've been cheaper than the local dealer, even with shipping. See

http://www.toyotapartsworld.com/

Last time I bought some they were $22.77 each or $52.69 total including S&H; they are getting cheaper every year, though, and they may be cheaper still, this year.

(Thanks for reminding me - it's time to replace mine again.
Well I guess I learned something today. So all current gen Land Cruisers had the cabin filter? I had a '98 LC that I got rid of with close to 90K miles on it, and I don't think that the cabin filters were ever changed (if it had one).

Thanks!
Old 11-03-04, 04:58 AM
tabraha
Driver

These are still getting cheaper! My parts guy sells them for 19.65ea now. I don't even know if mine has ever been changed I've got 2 on the way now. Good thread!!

Also, he said that the parts are LX470 only, not for LC's and that this part must have slipped through the cracks. George, make sure you need them first!

Tad
Old 11-03-04, 03:18 PM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

"LX470 only", huh? Maybe. Of course, this is coming from parts guys, who always - and I mean ALWAYS - have trouble even finding the LX filter, until I give them the Toyota part number.

The way I found the p/n to start with was by calling a Toyota dealer who happened know (for some reason...) the part number for the '99 LC filters.

Also, consider this: Why would Toyota NOT put these filters in a LC? The HVAC box is most likely the exact same one as the LX, and it's not like the LC is a cheap vehicle, by any means, so there's really no cost savings reason to omit the filters from the LC.

I think the reason these "fell through the cracks" is that most people ignore such things as cabin air filters, cleaner air, etc. - they never think about the filters or about replacing them.

Anyway, as long as I get my filters, I'm happy.
Old 08-13-14, 12:18 PM
GaryRama
Driver School Candidate

My parts guy here in Panama insists the filter is one piece, does anyone know if a one piece filter fits into the LX 470?
Old 08-13-14, 12:19 PM
GaryRama
Driver School Candidate

Perhaps I'll head back to the dealer with the p/n in hand..
Old 08-13-14, 02:19 PM
lxnola
Driver School Candidate

Here's a video for changing cabin filters on the LX, dk about the LC: