LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Bought a LX 470

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 09:26 PM
dannyboylx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a LX 470

Hi guys great forum and very helpful insight. I just bought a LX470 2001 in white in the UAE exported from America with 229000 miles.Very clean car with original paint and found one finally with leather in excellent condition been looking for a while for clean car as they bring a fair few exports here from the USA.Did a carfax check come all clean no accidents etc and done a safety check every year when renewing registration is that a standard procedure.I was looking for one with lower miles,but couldn't find one clean like this and original should I be concern about miles to much is the 4.7l V8 reliable ?. Just a few questions been reading a lot about the AHS suspension issues how can I can I tell it's working all well when I play around with it ? and what else should I go over and check?.I'm planning to do spark plugs ,filters,all fluids if need be and get timing belt and water pump checked to for a start.Thanks guys.
Old 11-26-16, 10:26 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Go through the different firmness settings on the suspension dial that's on the center console and drive the truck in all the settings. There should be a significant difference between super comfort and super sport. Go through the height settings while the vehicle is not moving to see if everything works. I believe the system automatically raises from L to N after 3mph and drops down from H to N after 19mph.

229k miles is not high miles at all for those motors. I would replace the heater hose Tees as a precautionary measure because they are plastic, could become brittle and break. If that happens you can lose coolant and fry the engine.

Check this site for all the info on these vehicles, Club Lexus is slow response time on this forum.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100...-trucks.30754/
Old 11-27-16, 09:27 AM
dannyboylx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Go through the different firmness settings on the suspension dial that's on the center console and drive the truck in all the settings. There should be a significant difference between super comfort and super sport. Go through the height settings while the vehicle is not moving to see if everything works. I believe the system automatically raises from L to N after 3mph and drops down from H to N after 19mph.

229k miles is not high miles at all for those motors. I would replace the heater hose Tees as a precautionary measure because they are plastic, could become brittle and break. If that happens you can lose coolant and fry the engine.

Check this site for all the info on these vehicles, Club Lexus is slow response time on this forum.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100...-trucks.30754/

Thanks for your reply and information.
Old 11-29-16, 02:40 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the LX. It sounds like you got a good one; and the 2001 is a good model year for durability. As mentioned above, 229K is no problem on the 4.7L engine. I expect to see at least 350K before any major work; and many have gone much longer than that. Otherwise, it is simple maintenance that is needed. Use the red Toyota coolant for best durability in the cooling system, I drain and refill at 30K intervals. I still have the original water pump at 244K miles. If yours has an aftermarket green coolant, then I would replace the water pump with the timing belt and start using Toyota coolant from then on.

The AHC fluid should be replaced every 60K with Toyota AHC fluid. I get two cans (2.5L each) to do the job because it takes more than one can to get it all fresh. The new fluid makes a difference in the ride even when the old fluid still looks mostly clear. The new fluid will tend to have a slight pink tint to it.

I run synthetic fluids in my LX. Mobil 1 is commonly available in USA and so is Amsoil. You can check bobistheoilguy.com for lubricant info.

There is a lot of tech info on the ih8mud site. Most of it is compiled in a FAQ sticky post.
Old 12-04-16, 06:29 PM
dannyboylx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LXPearl
Congratulations on the LX. It sounds like you got a good one; and the 2001 is a good model year for durability. As mentioned above, 229K is no problem on the 4.7L engine. I expect to see at least 350K before any major work; and many have gone much longer than that. Otherwise, it is simple maintenance that is needed. Use the red Toyota coolant for best durability in the cooling system, I drain and refill at 30K intervals. I still have the original water pump at 244K miles. If yours has an aftermarket green coolant, then I would replace the water pump with the timing belt and start using Toyota coolant from then on.

The AHC fluid should be replaced every 60K with Toyota AHC fluid. I get two cans (2.5L each) to do the job because it takes more than one can to get it all fresh. The new fluid makes a difference in the ride even when the old fluid still looks mostly clear. The new fluid will tend to have a slight pink tint to it.

I run synthetic fluids in my LX. Mobil 1 is commonly available in USA and so is Amsoil. You can check bobistheoilguy.com for lubricant info.

There is a lot of tech info on the ih8mud site. Most of it is compiled in a FAQ sticky post.

Thanks for that.Can anybody tell me does the lexus lx 470 have a trip computer for fuel etc and distance to empty ?.
Old 12-05-16, 10:54 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyboylx
Thanks for that.Can anybody tell me does the lexus lx 470 have a trip computer for fuel etc and distance to empty ?.
100 series do not have a trip computer, other than what comes in a Nav-equipped truck. Scangauge or similar may make something that can calculate DTE.