LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Another GX470 vs LX470 Comparo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 06:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There's honestly no vehicle out there that feels and drives like an LX. Sure, it's not the greatest on gas but you already know that if you looked into them and are still interested.

I suggest you join www.ih8mud.com and go on those forums. The 100-Series Cruisers subforum is where you want to read up on this chassis. It's the most active forum for these vehicle, tons of info, DIY threads, FAQ, etc. as well as a great classifieds section for oem parts and offroad aftermarket parts.

If the AHC goes at some point and in the case it's not a small part(s) but a big bill, you can always just disable it and install the oem Land Cruiser suspension or go aftermarket.

Since you are in CT, I HIGHLY recommend you bring in a vehicle from the southern states where it was not exposed to winter salt. You can thank me later....
Old 11-18-16, 08:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinedog
True, I meant when you drive them both they are both great, just one "feels" bigger. My point was they both rock, you cant go wrong with either.
Assuming you can get by with somewhat limited off-road ability with the GX v. the LX and far less interior room, you may be correct.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
There's honestly no vehicle out there that feels and drives like an LX. Sure, it's not the greatest on gas but you already know that if you looked into them and are still interested.

I suggest you join www.ih8mud.com and go on those forums. The 100-Series Cruisers subforum is where you want to read up on this chassis. It's the most active forum for these vehicle, tons of info, DIY threads, FAQ, etc. as well as a great classifieds section for oem parts and offroad aftermarket parts.

If the AHC goes at some point and in the case it's not a small part(s) but a big bill, you can always just disable it and install the oem Land Cruiser suspension or go aftermarket.

Since you are in CT, I HIGHLY recommend you bring in a vehicle from the southern states where it was not exposed to winter salt. You can thank me later....
MPG is about the last thing I think about. I like lots of room, go-anyplace ability, and especially the fact that I'm driving the most reliable ~ 3-ton truck in the world with outstanding resale value, not to mention occupant protection in an accident.

AHC issues may seem to be common. They are not. Follow the 60K maintenance interval for changing and bleeding the AHC fluid. Realize that nobody seems to post threads related to AHC that is not broken.

Absolutely 110% agreement as to mud.
Old 11-22-16, 05:24 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys,

My search continues, i was able to drive one on the highway and it's not bad at all the torque helps it was an 06, Just waiting for the right one.
Old 05-19-18, 08:02 AM
JALinker
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

What was the final outcome here? GX or LX?
Old 06-07-18, 10:38 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update:

I have gone ahead with the purchase of an 08 GX470, it is a one owner vehicle and has good service history, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Alternator were all done around 100K miles ,very clean interior, below are my thoughts.

Interior seems more updated (personal Opinion) than LX
More headroom that LX
More vehicle available on the market to choose from than the LX
Same Engine and transmission as LX470
Does not drive as well as the LX specially in the corners.
Feels top heavy unlike the LX which i feel is more planted.( In the GX i felt I am seated higher, not sure why but I drive the GX very slow :-) and it feels like a Big Truck )
Less shoulder room than the LX
Barn Door, some hate it, I see it as an issue in my drive way when i park my other car very close to it, other than that I like it as the lil one can access third row from there.(only one seat in third row is folded)

Overall I think i still like the LX (Legendary Land Cruiser) more than the GX (Land Cruiser Prado) (I do have many relatives overseas ;-) )

However the LX's Dashboard makes it feel very dated to me(just my opinion).The fact that there were fewer LX to choose from and that i like the 2013+ LX more made me choose the GX470 for now, so i don't have to hear about why I keep the Money Pit around.
This way i still keep my X5 4.8is and save for the LX570 or Land Cruiser to buy down the road.

I hope i dont make friends with the Lexus Mechanic's and contribute to their kids college fund like I do with the BMW Mechanics.
Old 07-27-22, 09:42 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are among the best SUVs I've ever owned. I currently am driving a 2000 lx470 with very low miles for its age but some years ago I owned a GX470 with even less miles and outstanding condition. If I have to be honest, I think I preferred the gx. It just had a much nicer and much upgraded interior and the whole car felt as if it were carved out of one big rock. Just very tight and controlled without a squeak or grown. I love my LX also especially because of the size compared to the GX but if I had to pick between the two I'd probably buy the GX first. I've never been able to tolerate the gx460 and it seems like somehow miraculously every year they managed to make it look even worse.

And forgive me for I mean no offense, but if anyone thinks a Lexus LX470 with 130,000 miles on it is a "high mileage car" , it's kind of clear they don't have a clue about these cars.

Last edited by Muti007; 07-27-22 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gmoney32 (12-11-22)