LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 08:59 PM
Daddylee76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!

Hello,

I have tried to search the lighting forums but can't seem to find out what i'm trying to do. I have an 2003 LX470 and seems like it came with stock HID's they do beam a lot nicer than regular halogens. Does anyone knows if there's just a replacement HID bulb that I can get or do I have to get the entire Kit. Iv'e tired this site http://www.xenondepot.com but is confused on why is there an entire kit and not just the bulb to plug and play. So in all I just don't want to install, cut or drill holes. Just looking for something better than stock and wanted to replace both head light bulb and fog lights. Anyone bought replacements before that are better than stocks or your have to get the Kits? Thanks All

Daddy Lee
Old 08-16-16, 09:58 PM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think LX's came with HIDs. At least not in the US. Our 04 LX didn't. I had to use the entire conversion kit, because you'll need relays and new power lines for the ballasts (or starters).

I recently installed LEDs on my 05 GX. It was a plug-n-play. Super easy, and significantly better than OEM halogens. Not sure there are good options for H1 bulbs, which is what your LX probably has.
Old 08-17-16, 07:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

A reliable option is to simply convert your low beams to H1 HID bulbs, and the high beams to HIR bulbs.

I did my '01 LX 2-3 years ago, no issues. Bought the HID conversions kits from DDM tuning. Installing the HID's are a no-brainer and an outstanding upgrade...especially at night.

HID's are NOT oem on an '03.
Old 08-18-16, 07:52 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hid kits are better than oem halogens. But are very crappy in the rain. No matter what the color. I did the hid kit & it looked good but once it rains, the light gets lost. Got tired of it and got a awesome deal on a set of oem SC430 projectors with some CBI bulbs. Here are the results
Attached Thumbnails New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-imag0989.jpg  
Old 08-22-16, 09:58 PM
Daddylee76
Driver School Candidate

Okay here's an update, on my LX HID conversion... I went to a Local Performance shop and got these done. They are 6000k and looks nice but my question is what are these 4 lights on the top? Is this something normal or should I take it back for them to see. Please let me know if anyone has the same problem!
Attached Thumbnails New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-img_0256.jpg   New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-img_0259.jpg  

Last edited by Daddylee76; 08-22-16 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Pictures are upside down
Old 08-22-16, 10:06 PM
Daddylee76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Daddylee76
Okay here's an update, on my LX HID conversion... I went to a Local Performance shop and got these done. They are 6000k and looks nice but my question is what are these 4 lights on the top? Is this something normal or should I take it back for them to see. Please let me know if anyone has the same problem!

Pictures are upside down don't know why it's normal on my phone!
Old 08-23-16, 03:30 AM
PADDO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those four very visible spots are a normal consequence of increasing your lumens and slightly changing the focal point of the light source within the projector, they are commonly referred to as "squirrel finders". They were there too with the OE halogens, just not nearly as pronounced. Have a look at some of the HID threads on ih8mud.com in the 100/470 series sub forums or TRS's Hidplanet.com. There are options to fix these sign illumination spots if you're so inclined.
Old 08-23-16, 11:47 PM
Daddylee76
Driver School Candidate

Oh thank you! Paddo I will check those sites out. I thought I was loosing my eye sight for a bit there LOL!
Old 08-26-16, 11:56 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Higher kelvin HID kits are not ideal in the rain and fog, which is why 4300k is the best route to go if you're looking for the most OEM functionality, and the best possible light output.

Steve
Old 08-26-16, 06:42 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Higher kelvin HID kits are not ideal in the rain and fog, which is why 4300k is the best route to go if you're looking for the most OEM functionality, and the best possible light output.

Steve
I replaced my LX's fog lights with 3500K HID's...light is noticeably yellow and works well in dense fog and rain. Low beams are 5000K iirc. No issues with either in inclement weather.

'13 LC has 42W PIAA bulbs, 3500K. FAR better than the OEM 9W white bulbs. No projectors on the fogs, so no HID's.

eta...Bright white or (even worse) bluish bulbs are the epitome of stupidity if you're driving in inclement weather, especially pea soup snotty fog. You blind oncoming drivers, and get tons of white light reflected back to your face.

Steve (not the one from Xenon Depot )

Last edited by hankinid; 08-29-16 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 09:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

HA! thanks for the feedback

Steve
Old 08-30-16, 07:23 PM
Daddylee76
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys, So some more questions replying to my post. I see a member here with SC430 Retrofit projectors. But what about all those aftermarket ebay stuff are they legit? There's so many ebay projectors claiming to be plug and plays. Anyone tried them or have them, I'm kinda sick of the squirrel hunting lights that can look UFOish to most ppl. I just need some sort of plug and play system if you know what I mean! Thanks guys!
Old 08-30-16, 09:32 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input guys, So some more questions replying to my post. I see a member here with SC430 Retrofit projectors. But what about all those aftermarket ebay stuff are they legit? There's so many ebay projectors claiming to be plug and plays. Anyone tried them or have them, I'm kinda sick of the squirrel hunting lights that can look UFOish to most ppl. I just need some sort of plug and play system if you know what I mean! Thanks guys!
The general vibe I get is that in general, a modified OEM housing is superior to eBay stuff. I'm happy with 50W ballasted 5500K bulbs in oem glass housings. I've seen the OEM's modified with SC430 projectors, more than a few rave about S2000 projectors. I don't especially mind the street-sign-finders, and they do a good job at that. Easy fix, once you remove the headlight assemblies and take them apart, is to apply about half a match head of red RTV over the slots. The looks like a ufo thing is news to me. I've never been flashed with headlights aimed per the FSM.

I'd suggest you spend some time on both the lighting and general 100 series forums on mud. A guy with a company called The Retrofit Source did a lot of early work with headlight improvements on the 100 series.

hth
Old 09-05-16, 02:30 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

I opened my headlights up & covered the holes with foil tape when & installed a tsx-r clear lens when I did my hid kit. It worked for a while until I got tired of the light getting lost in inclement weather. This how it looked with the morimoto hid kit.
Attached Thumbnails New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-imag1821.jpg  
Old 09-05-16, 02:34 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Morimoto hid kit before in 1st pic & SC430 projectors retrofitted in 2nd pic
Attached Thumbnails New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-imag1821.jpg   New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-imag1065.jpg   New to Thread and can't seem to find the HID Lighting answer!-imag0942.jpg  

Last edited by silverbul; 09-05-16 at 02:41 AM.