LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 11:20 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread

Howdy Club Lexus,

I'm starting this thread to track the progress I make with this build. I've been away for a while and am glad to be back with Lexus.
Some people might know me from my previous build https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...od-thread.html
I've had quite a few cars since the GS and I still miss it but family and life changes led me to something larger.
This LX is mainly a family hauler but I do have fun with the added versatility of a larger SUV.
The boys and I also like playing with Plasti-Dip so we do little projects every now and then to have some fun

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1077
Size:  174.7 KB
Name:  image_1.jpeg
Views: 1086
Size:  159.4 KB
Name:  image_3.jpeg
Views: 1072
Size:  170.4 KB
Name:  image_4.jpeg
Views: 1074
Size:  179.9 KB
Name:  image_5.jpeg
Views: 1128
Size:  90.4 KB
Name:  image_7.jpeg
Views: 1069
Size:  63.7 KB

Mod list so far:
Pro Comp Wheels w/ BFGoodrich Tires
Removed Running Boards
Tow Hitch
Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack
Built in Bluetooth Audio
DVD Headrest Monitors for the boys
And plenty more mods and pics and fun to come.....

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here on Club Lexus and will continue to update this thread to keep information in one spot.

Last edited by KiPod; 08-02-16 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 10:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by KiPod
Howdy Club Lexus,

I'm starting this thread to track the progress I make with this build. I've been away for a while and am glad to be back with Lexus.
Some people might know me from my previous build https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...od-thread.html
I've had quite a few cars since the GS and I still miss it but family and life changes led me to something larger.
This LX is mainly a family hauler but I do have fun with the added versatility of a larger SUV.
The boys and I also like playing with Plasti-Dip so we do little projects every now and then to have some fun

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here on Club Lexus and will continue to update this thread to keep information in one spot.
I like your priorities. I'll guarantee your boys will tell their boys the story about painting the flag on a car with Grandpa.

Nice LX, btw.
Old 08-04-16, 03:58 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you.
When my father was growing up, he had a neighbor who let his kids paint his car. He drove it to work everyday just like that no matter how ridiculous it looked to some. I always remembered that story and for someone like me, who is very much into cars, I figured it would be nice to have a "project" where the kids could be right there with me and not stress about rips, tears, scratches, etc. Kind of like a open canvas type of thing.

Name:  CB5B0502-1CA9-4B08-8211-3525F0148EC7.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  465.5 KB

Last edited by KiPod; 08-04-16 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 04:50 PM
Cbrmaniak
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have your old Lexus GS! It's still on the road, small world!
Old 10-12-16, 05:47 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know when/if you ever want to sell it
I'm considering getting another one at some point.
i like the X package wheels
Old 10-13-16, 06:32 PM
Cbrmaniak
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiPod
Let me know when/if you ever want to sell it
I'm considering getting another one at some point.
i like the X package wheels
I would probably sell it for the right price, it just had valve seals done, and powder coating on some parts in engine compartment. Needs a paint job, paint failed quickly in this Florida sun...
Old 10-21-16, 06:46 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to mix it up and Plasti Dip the LX.
I didn't want anything too crazy so I went with Camo Green mixed 50/50 with gloss for the last two coats.
Crazy how much different the color looks in shade vs direct sunlight and it changes the look of the LX quite a but.
I'll probably rock this through the winter and try another color in the spring.
I might make this a seasonal thing.
Attached Thumbnails KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-1.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-2.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-3.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-4.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-5.jpg  

KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-camo-6.jpg  
Old 06-28-17, 05:57 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't been on the forums lately so I figured I should post up some updated pics.

This is from the winter when my normal parking spot turns into a plowed snow bank (posed shot)
Name:  3BDEC7EB-90AF-491C-8365-05E9C6540EEC.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  117.6 KB

And this one is from when my family moved into our new house last month.
Name:  6884271A-1642-4CA9-BB5A-4380E337DD2C.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  173.6 KB

I also installed OME lift from Slee a few weeks ago. Need to get some pictures of that posted as well. Good instructions and actually a very smooth install.
Old 06-28-17, 06:02 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Ki long time no chat looks like all is well. Love the LX
Old 06-28-17, 06:31 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

What's up man! Thanks! Yeah, family is growing fast and we're doing well. We needed a larger vehicle and I knew the LX would fit what we needed and be great for me as well.

We did a car meet last fall at the store. Don't know if you heard about it but it was a good turn out (like 80+ Lexus'). I'll keep you posted when we have another. Probably later this year.
Old 06-28-17, 11:39 AM
tlhicks
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very cool. So how easy is the plastic dip to come off? What Brand and where did you buy or order?
Old 06-28-17, 01:49 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tlhicks
Very cool. So how easy is the plastic dip to come off? What Brand and where did you buy or order?
The more coats you spray the easier it is to come off. Its like a popped balloon or a latex glove when you peel it off. Sometimes it takes time to get all the jams clean from overspray but you just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth or maybe some solvent. Not that big of a deal IMO. I order from dipyourcar.com but you can find it other places as well. My local Pep-Boys has a pretty decent selection in aerosol cans. I use them to test out colors sometimes. I have another color ready for the LX but haven't had time to knock it out yet.
Old 06-28-17, 06:56 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by tlhicks
The only brand I'm aware of is Plasti-Dip. Available at HD or Lowe's or many hardware stores.

Steve
Old 11-08-17, 08:03 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

More updates on my LX:

I have had a color I made about three years ago for my now sold Audi A6 Avant.
Since it was around one year from when I last Plasti-Dipped my LX, I figured it was time for a change.
Originally this was a color for wheels and then the Audi so I wasn't sure how it would look on such a large vehicle.
At first I wasn't a big fan but it has grown on me and surprisingly I'm receiving a lot of compliments on the color.
I'm just going with this as my "fall" color.
It changes a lot from light, dark, sun, shade, etc.
Attached Thumbnails KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-1.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-2.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-3.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-4.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-5.jpg  

KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-6.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-8.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-9.jpg  
Old 11-08-17, 08:08 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

The same day I finished the paint job I picked up a used CVT roof top tent.
I already had a Foxwing awning and the tent now gives us a place to sleep and shade on both sides and rear.
Two days later I was in the MOCO Epic Bike Ride and received some nice support at the finish.
You can see the different looks of the paint in the different lighting situations.
Attached Thumbnails KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-tent-1.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-10.jpg   KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread-lx-copper-11.jpg  

Quick Reply: KiPod's LX Pic & Mod thread